1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 Worst Tech Products of all time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, May 26, 2006.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125772,pg,1,00.asp

The Complete List of Losers

America Online (1989-2006)
    RealNetworks RealPlayer (1999)
    Syncronys SoftRAM (1995)
    Microsoft Windows Millennium (2000)
    Sony BMG Music CDs (2005)
    Disney The Lion King CD-ROM (1994)
    Microsoft Bob (1995)
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (2001)
    Pressplay and Musicnet (2002)
    dBASE IV (1988)
    Priceline Groceries and Gas (2000)
    PointCast (1996)
    IBM PCjr. (1984)
    Gateway 2000 10th Anniversary PC (1995)
    Iomega Zip Drive (1998)
    Comet Cursor (1997)
    Apple Macintosh Portable (1989)
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP (2000)
    OQO Model 1 (2004)
    CueCat (2000)
    Eyetop Wearable DVD Player (2004)
    Apple Pippin @World (1996)
    Free PCs (1999)
    DigiScents iSmell (2001)
    Sharp RD3D Notebook (2004)

1. America Online (1989-2006)
    How do we loathe AOL? Let us count the ways. Since America Online emerged from the belly of a BBS called Quantum "PC-Link" in 1989, users have suffered through awful software, inaccessible dial-up numbers, rapacious marketing, in-your-face advertising, questionable billing practices, inexcusably poor customer service, and enough spam to last a lifetime. And all the while, AOL remained more expensive than its major competitors. This lethal combination earned the world's biggest ISP the top spot on our list of bottom feeders.

AOL succeeded initially by targeting newbies, using brute-force marketing techniques. In the 90s you couldn't open a magazine (PC World included) or your mailbox without an AOL disk falling out of it. This carpet-bombing technique yielded big numbers: At its peak, AOL claimed 34 million subscribers worldwide, though it never revealed how many were just using up their free hours.

Once AOL had you in its clutches, escaping was notoriously difficult. Several states sued the service, claiming that it continued to bill customers after they had requested cancellation of their subscriptions. In August 2005, AOL paid a $1.25 million fine to the state of New York and agreed to change its cancellation policies--but the agreement covered only people in New York.

Ultimately the Net itself--which AOL subscribers were finally able to access in 1995-- made the service's shortcomings painfully obvious. Prior to that, though AOL offered plenty of its own online content, it walled off the greater Internet. Once people realized what content was available elsewhere on the Net, they started wondering why they were paying AOL. And as America moved to broadband, many left their sluggish AOL accounts behind. AOL is now busy rebranding itself as a content provider, not an access service.

Though America Online has shown some improvement lately--with better browsers and e-mail tools, fewer obnoxious ads, scads of broadband content, and innovative features such as parental controls--it has never overcome the stigma of being the online service for people who don't know any better.

2. RealNetworks RealPlayer (1999)
    In order for your browser to display the following paragraph this site must download new software; please wait. Sorry, the requested codec was not found. Please upgrade your system.

A frustrating inability to play media files--due in part to constantly changing file formats--was only part of Real's problem. RealPlayer also had a disturbing way of making itself a little too much at home on your PC--installing itself as the default media player, taking liberties with your Windows Registry, popping up annoying "messages" that were really just advertisements, and so on.

And some of RealNetworks' habits were even more troubling. For example, shortly after RealJukeBox appeared in 1999, security researcher Richard M. Smith discovered that the software was assigning a unique ID to each user and phoning home with the titles of media files played on it--while failing to disclose any of this in its privacy policy. Turns out that RealPlayer G2, which had been out since the previous year, also broadcast unique IDs. After a tsunami of bad publicity and a handful of lawsuits, Real issued a patch to prevent the software from tracking users' listening habits. But less than a year later, Real was in hot water again for tracking the habits of its RealDownload download-management software customers.

To be fair, RealNetworks deserves credit for offering a free media player and for hanging in there against Microsoft's relentless onslaught. We appreciate the fact that there's an alternative to Windows Media Player; we just wish it were a better one.

3. Syncronys SoftRAM (1995)
    Back in 1995, when RAM cost $30 to $50 a megabyte and Windows 95 apps were demanding more and more of it, the idea of "doubling" your system memory by installing a $30 piece of software sounded mighty tempting. The 700,000 users who bought Syncronys's SoftRAM products certainly thought so. Unfortunately, that's not what they got.

It turns out that all SoftRAM really did was expand the size of Windows' hard disk cache--something a moderately savvy user could do without any extra software in about a minute. And even then, the performance boost was negligible. The FTC dubbed Syncronys's claims "false and misleading," and the company was eventually forced to pull the product from the market and issue refunds. After releasing a handful of other bad Windows utilities, the company filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 1999. It will not be missed.

4. Microsoft Windows Millennium (2000)
    This might be the worst version of Windows ever released--or, at least, since the dark days of Windows 2.0. Windows Millennium Edition (aka Me, or the Mistake Edition) was Microsoft's follow-up to Windows 98 SE for home users. Shortly after Me appeared in late 2000, users reported problems installing it, getting it to run, getting it to work with other hardware or software, and getting it to stop running. Aside from that, Me worked great.

To its credit, Me introduced features later made popular by Windows XP, such as system restore. Unfortunately, it could also restore files you never wanted to see again, like viruses that you'd just deleted. Forget Y2K; this was the real millennium bug.

5. Sony BMG Music CDs (2005)
    When you stick a music CD into your computer, you shouldn't have to worry that it will turn your PC into a hacker's plaything. But that's exactly what Sony BMG Music Entertainment's music discs did in 2005. The discs' harebrained copy protection software installed a rootkit that made it invisible even to antispyware or antivirus software. Any moderately clever cyber attacker could then use the same rootkit to hide, say, a keylogger to capture your bank account information, or a remote-access Trojan to turn your PC into a zombie.

Security researcher Dan Kaminsky estimated that more than half a million machines were infected by the rootkit. After first downplaying the problem and then issuing a "fix" that made things worse, Sony BMG offered to refund users' money and replace the faulty discs. Since then, the record company has been sued up the wazoo; a federal court judge recently approved a settlement in the national class action suit. Making your machine totally vulnerable to attacks--isn't that Microsoft's job?

continued...

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Whats wrong with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (2001)?

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Is XFL considered a product?

Edit: Oh they are talking about 'tech' products. Nevermind.

#3 RocketForever, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We had a PCjr back in the 80s. Hardest workin' 128 kilobytes of RAM I ever saw. But don't you DARE touch the keyboard during memory bootup. Any time we borrowed games from our friends with Tandys, we would get an error message about "not enough memory." I remember one time one of us left a floppy on the CPU, and my father had me and my two brothers all lined up and was interrogating us about it. We were 11, 7 and 5 years old respectively, so, obviously, electromagnetics and computer hardware and software were all second nature to us. Of course the PCjr did have the two greatest educational games of all time: Monster Math and Trivia 101.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm curious as to what was wrong with the Lion King CD. I never heard anything about that.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I dont remember the exact things but I remember this game actually and it had a real hard time playing on any computer. I think they released a game that demanded higher video capibilities than any card out on the market at the time.

7. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Can we add Giga Pets and Tamigotchis to the list?

9. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Tamigotchis had some success for a few years before fading away. Where do you think Nintendo got the idea for nintendogs? Hint: Tamigotchis etc.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

It was really depressing when my creatures died after I took a bathroom break...

:(

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Ouch! Forgot about that lemon.

12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

My Mom and I were going back and forth about nasty pointcast memories earlier this afternoon after reading this article. The damn thing was impossible to get off your computer, you had to take a strip of black electrical tape and put it over your monitor to make it disapeer.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Being on AOL at the time, there used to be trojan horses all over their email system with the intent of stealing passwords. Eventually, I learned how to hex the programs email addresses and changed it to my hotmail....

Being on AOL was a fun time for a while. The service was ****ty, but there was proggies to piss people off to no end. AOHell haha. It was like a digital California. Even if IRC and newsgroups were there before, the stuff you later saw on the net, phishing schemes, spyware, public file sharing, specialized chatrooms, etc... was done on a public level on AOL.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Can I add Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time?

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I always thought ME was one of microsofts better OS -- it weighs in at a svelt 300 megs instead of 2 gigs like Win 2K. Most importantly it's just a copy of whatever Mac OS was out in 2000.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I had some really fun times in AOL chat rooms, I used to spend hours in those chat rooms each night. I even got kicked off AOL not once, but twice. When I finally cancelled my AOL service, they did everything but offer me stock options to stay...