1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The short recovery time is what cost the Astros another WS title last year - we forget, but Valdez and Javier were pitching injured and not the same players. If not for that, the Astros would be defending champs. Credit to the Rangers for beating the Astros, but it is REALLY hard to not always repeat, but to go deep in the playoffs every single year - that's a lot of extra wear and tear on the players.

Rvo384, crose and IowaAstro like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I have concerns about how Brown will keep the organization all on the same page - but I have no concerns about him making a big move if possible. He has no problems swinging for the fences, and is confident in his ability to walk into any run down baseball field in Cuba or the Dominican and find a 16 year old that he can turn into a #3 starter in 4-5 years.

Rvo384, Radricky, Jags and 8 others like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Episode 69 of breathing orange fire is up- check it out. we talk trade deadline and why I would take a bunch of big swings if I was the Astros. A lot of the reason for that is basically what @Nook just said/ I trust this development staff and talent acquisition guys.

Nook likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Adding a bat would be great.

I said I wasn't *overly* worried about the offense, once Tucker returns.

Astros main problem right now is mostly pitching -- mostly like, 90%.

Most of the rotation is headed into a brick wall... head-on, no seat belt.

kdchilds and Radricky like this.
  5. toby

toby Member

OVERPAY for pitching . . . deal with what you can at first, but don't overpay at first base.

6. raining threes

The pitching so far has held up better than most could dream of considering the injuries the rotation has had. But they really need to add another SP.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. raining threes

It's going to take more hitting than that in the playoffs IMHO.

8. raining threes

Hopefully Dana adds one more bat.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but 2022 they had 4 star bats - Altuve, Alex, Alvarez, and Tucker that were 129 or better OPS+. Chas was 5th best @ 111. Pena was 6th best @ 102 and everyone else between 96 and 68 (Including 3 starters).

5 star level bats, can win but 6+ would be even better.

What this team does have is 11 @ 100 or better, buy only 3 of them are over 106. Bregman should continue to increase his to get a 4th guy up there but another 125+ guy would make this more probable W.S. run.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Loperfido headed for the big boy list. Can't wait to see if he can keep up when the pressure of the play-offs is part of the equation.

Rvo384 and raining threes like this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He has a ways to go. Big hole in his swing. He has a good future. I think he has to play really well to get starts in the playoffs.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

can't deny that he's an athlete.

dude was flying on the base paths for the triple.

Radricky, Tomstro and BlindHog like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Interesting thought.

Catcher, 2b, 3b, ss, cf, rf, and dh/lf are set in stone.

That leaves 5 players for 2 spots. (5 for 1 spot if Diaz is dh)

I'm assuming Kessinger will be sent down when Tucker returns.

1b: Singleton, Dubon, Loperfido, or Cabbage

Lf: Dubon, McCormick, Loperfido, or Cabbage

Part of the issue I noticed was that there are 3 hitters with great numbers (125+ wRC+/OPS+) and the rest of the roster is 106 or worse.

I think to be a World Series worthy offense, this team needs at least 4 and preferably 5 hitters at 125+ and only 2 (preferably from from C, SS, and CF) who are under 100.

Diaz 103
    Altuve 133
    Bregman 106
    Pena 103
    Alvarez 158
    Meyers 105
    Tucker 175

Dubon 103
    Singleton 100
    Cabbage 79
    Loperfido 103
    McCormick 65

So this team needs 1-2 more 125+ level hitters to meet those requirements and none of the bench guys look to be able to supply that. They are perfectly good to fill the bottom 5 spots, but not those top 4.

You could say Alex is one, as he is 137 over the past 2 months and his slow start is such a known quantity that there is little to no chance he regresses in the 2nd half.

Adding a big bat like Vladdy Jr, Walker, Alfonso, or J D. Martinez, etc will turn this lineup into an All time great one w/ 5 star hitters, all 9 at 100 or better, and a bench of 100 hitters as well.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’ve said you need 6 bats that are dudes in the playoffs because half of them will get **** down and you need 3 guys going good to win a series. You could get by with 3 dudes- but they all better be hitting- and that’s really unlikely.
    Talked about this exact thing on the pod Monday- Astros offense can trot 9 guys out there every day above 100 ops + but it’s 3 stats and 6 a little average. Having no auto out is good for lineup depth and the 262 game war of attrition that is the playoffs- but I always expect average bats to disappear in the playoffs.
    Pena’s mvp x2 says maybe not- maybe it’s all dumbass luck.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If Yainer starts hitting Hr’s he could be one again- there’s definitely upside there.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Agreed on Yainer having the ability.

But if they add a Dude ( Walker or Vladdy is like adding another Altuve level player while moving Singleton or Dubon to the bench) it's much better than hoping for Diaz to rise to his potential.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yainer taking the next step would be huge. As would getting star production out of LF (whether its McCormick coming back to life or Loperfido getting established) and 1B (whether it’s Singleton miraculously getting to more HR or a trade). Meyers and Pena are almost certainly gonna float between 90-110 wRC+, and that’s fine given their defensive value, especially if they are hitting 7th/8th/9th.

IowaAstro and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Almost every year there are guys who have no business hitting as well as they do during a playoff run. Adolis García became Barry Bonds last year. As you mentioned, Pena in 2022. Jorge Soler and Eddie Rosario carried the Braves offense to a title in 2021. Randy Arozarena in 2020.

Having no auto outs increases the chance someone gets hot and can help carry the load along with Yordan and Altuve.

Houstunna, IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is an excellent point. It's just hard to count on that.

I still think adding a >125 level bat and hoping he performs within 90% of his level is a safer bet than a 100 level guy suddenly becoming 110+ in the playoffs.

But I could see a guy like Diaz or Meyers etc. have a great postseason over an 11-20 game sample and be a huge surprise like Jeremy was in 2022.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

We've wasted millions on McConnell the past two years and Verlander this year. I just hope when McConnel finally does come back he is worth the money we're paying him and not a lesser version of what he used to be. I hope we let Verlander go after this year and sign a good young prospect without an injury history.

raining threes likes this.