1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Member

The 200 inning pitcher is the rarity. If you have one, you don't just toss it aside. If you have a bunch of guys with high level stuff but who need load managing, then you do so.. but you have to have extra depth to accommodate them. Again, you don't just toss that extra depth aside or presume the previous players who needed load managing no longer need it (as was the rude awakening with Javier this year).

2. raining threes

I would sign Nola

If they go the trade route.

Brown/Urquiy/Arrighetti/Baez should be enough to get an ace.

3. raining threes

That was last yr.

He's a different pitcher this yr, particularly in the 2nd half of the season and yes, I know he threw a no-hitter. Bur he's fallen off of a cliff and probably needs a fresh start. I wonder if the D-Backs have a great young prospect or 2 that they would trade for Framber? Framber needs Strom's help.

4. Nick

Nick Member

Fallen off a cliff?

Honestly, look at his career numbers beyond last year or this year... his peripherals, metrics, injury history (lack thereof) without the recency bias of a couple of flukey playoff starts... and you're done?

Not to mention that he still has 2 years before he hits FA.

I'd welcome every 'mentally weak, fall off a cliff' pitcher who has these numbers and putting up these performances year-in/year-out. Give me all of them.

arabrocket, everyday eddie and BMoney like this.
  5. raining threes

If they could get an ace in a Tucker trade this offseason would you do it? They have young OF'ers and pitching depth to trade for an above avg OF. For instance if they could trade Tucker back home to Miami for one of their young aces and then trade pitching to Pittsburgh for Reynolds would you do these deals?

6. Nick

Nick Member

Tucker is from Tampa... and no, I'm not trading all-star club controlled players during championship windows. Nor are the Astros.

See the trades they've made over the last 7 years and use that as a point of reference as to how championship teams acquire help or fill needs. And please stop getting influenced by a handful of playoff games to claim expendability or "fall off a cliff" performances.

arabrocket likes this.
  7. raining threes

Welcome all of them, just know you aren't going to win anything if they pitch like Framber has the 2nd half of this season. I knew they were going to lose both of his games in this series and if they make the WS they will lose both of his games then too. It's putting the team in a position where they've got very little room for error. 2nd half Framber is terrible.

8. Nick

Nick Member

July (post ankle injury) was bad. that's basically it. He's not on some downward spiral that you've come to the conclusion....

9. raining threes

I'm not being influenced by a handful of playoff games. I'm looking at what you can get for Tucker and Framber for that matter vs what they're going to have to pay them and what type of talent is available to replace them. BTW, I would do everything possible to re-sign Tucker. But if it didn't look like it was going to happen I would move on and try to trade for a guy like Reynolds.

I just wish Luhnow was here to make these kinds of decisions.

10. raining threes

You could be right, but the ankle should be healthy by now.

11. Nick

Nick Member

Yes, and he had sub 4 ERA's in the months since while not missing a start. And he was every bit the ace pitcher during the first half that you feel will never be a possibility again?

So if you're disappointed with him because he's "only" a 3.50 ERA, and not a sub 3 ERA, pitcher who's still going to give you 200 innings and is a lefty... I'm sorry.

12. Nick

Nick Member

Luhnow never traded all-stars with club control years left, even when it was clear they weren't going to sign extensions. Tucker is 2 years away from free agency. That's the exact time frame Luhnow could have traded George Springer (after 2018).... but didn't because they were in a championship window, even with young Tucker knocking on the door in 2019.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It really depends on how much depth there is.

I would not trade away anyone if a team had 3 or 4 guys who were #5s or replacement level.

I would, absolutely, trade some away if a team had 6-7 guys who were #5s or replacement level.

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Lots of competition but if Astros scouts believe in him, I'll try for that Yariel Rodriguez guy. Starter/relief pitcher.

raining threes likes this.
  15. raining threes

Different times.

16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is time for a change. Get rid of all of those pitchers who quit game 6 and game 7.

17. leroy

leroy Member

You simply do not trade team controlled TOR, All Star level pitchers nor do you trade All-Star, MVP vote getting team controlled field players while you're in the middle (yes, middle) of a dynastic run that the Astros are on. What an insanely stupid thing to do.

everyday eddie and BMoney like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Time to move this one to the top, lol

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We need STARTING PITCHING !

DD

20. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Alright Brown, time to earn you effing money!