1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Yup! Kahale Warring was jacked too!

2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Random thoughts

- Don't care how jacked players look or right now. Specifically RBs, I would not touch one until they come around to our third round pick
    - The draft is very depth, especially with top end talent with OL, WR and CBs. I would fully be expecting to land one of positions with one of our first few picks (unless there is a crazy run on all of these guys, then we may see some value on the other picks).
    - QB tiers this year are Caleb + Drake at 1A/1B with Jayden Daniels right behind them. Then IMO a significant drop off in talent, however, I'm not saying the other QBs (Penix, McCarthy, Nix, Rattler or the Tulane QB) cannot be decent players but have a lot more to work on their game. Also seems as though there are a few QB needy teams, so I'm hoping the QB-tax comes on early.
    - WRs: MHJ can turn games on his own, has great measurables you are looking for in a WR as well, Nabers is right behind him. I'd put a little distance between those two, then Odunze. Right behind him is Thomas. These four have great route running ability/trees, can create separation, great hands and can inside/outside. The next batch then includes good players who can become great but they may have something to work on (Legette/Franklin/Coleman/Polk/Mitchell), or may lack some size to be a true #1 but great at a lot of other things (McConkey, Worthy, Corley). I wouldn't touch WRs with poor hands like Walker.
    - TEs: Only person I'd trade up for is Bowers if were moving up 10 or less picks, game changer - needs to work on blocking but can line up all over the field and was a match up nightmare. Can be a safety valve for Stroud too, does need to work a little on blocking. I wouldn't touch any of the other TEs inside the first three rounds, as they have issues with their game or do not have any elite traits. At round 4, I like the Penn State (Johnson?), measures well, athletic, slightly lower side on production but has a game that can translate to the next level.

I'll have more later but that was it for now.

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Matt Miller is tripping his balls off this year and getting reactions, it's a deep draft and there's first round talent going into the second round based on other years.

cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The experts are divided on who the Texans will pick 23rd overall.

The 2024 NFL Draft is still over two months away, but the latest round of mock drafts are out this week. HoustonTexans.com gauged 36 of the more prominent mockers, and of those 36, six (16.7%) predicted Houston would select Penn State defensive end Chop Robinson and six (16.7%) believe the Texans will take defensive tackle Jer'Zhan "Johnny" Newton of Illinois.

Overall, 26 of 36 (72.2%) of the mock drafts see the Texans adding a defensive player in the first round.

10 of the 36 think Houston goes with a defensive end, and 10 more believe they'll go with a defensive tackle.

Six of the 36 predict the Texans taking a cornerback.

All expert picks listed in the link.
    https://www.houstontexans.com/news/...23-overall-mock-draft-roundup-post-super-bowl

Socrates likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are several TEs in the 3rd and 4th rounds who could be very good because of special attributes. But most come with flaws or inexperience. I'd take a chance on 6'7" with hands, even if he did have limited range. Or a shorter TE with YAC out the wazoo, even though a little slow by NFL standards.

Sooty likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

23. Houston Texans: BYRON MURPHY, IDL, TEXAS
    59. Houston Texans: Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington
    85. Houston Texans: Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Buck Turgidson

Murphy
    Mitchell/Worthy
    Sweat
    Sanders
    Brooks
    Ford

Rudyc281 and FLASH21 like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I could live with that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/5281067/2024/02/27/nfl-mock-draft-round-1-scouting-combine/

23. Houston Texans: Troy Fautanu, OT/G, Washington

The Texans would be wise to invest in the protection of quarterback C.J. Stroud after their line dealt with injuries throughout his rookie season. The 6-foot-4, 317-pound Fautanu developed into an All-Pac-12 starter at left tackle for the Huskies but has also played left guard and looks capable of moving inside. According to Pro Football Focus, Fautanu allowed just two sacks on 1,231 snaps in pass protection during his two seasons playing in front of Michael Penix Jr. It’s tempting to go D-line with this pick, as many are projecting, but Fautanu’s presence can help a young Pro Bowl QB (and his run game) get even better. — Olson

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we can find someone who thrives at LG, we can move Howard back to RT along side Shaq at RG and with Tunsil at LT and Scruggs/Patterson at C we should be set for several years. This alone will help whatever RB is behind them.

LT Tunsil
    LG Fautanu
    C Scruggs
    RG Mason
    RT Howard

Howard would not be the first OL who is excellent at another OL position, but struggle at LG. I had not realized how hard LG must be.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I have a hunch he won't be left on the board by the time we pick, but man would I love to draft him. Fautanu has the ability to play both as a tackle and an interior lineman, and the way our offensive line kept getting injured last year I'd love that hulk to help in our depth protecting CJ. Without CJ this team is screwed.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There is always someone on the board you don't expect to be there. You just have to seize the opportunity when it presents itself. If you don't trust your own evaluation, you'll just assume someone else saw a flaw you didn't and pass.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Of course. I'm with taking the best available player when it comes out pick, and if he's still there it would be a win in my eyes. Our #1 priority is protecting CJ, and we need to continue building a better line for the future by adding more youth.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yep. You're sitting there hoping Jonathan Brooks is still on the board at 59 after taking Chop at 23, but Isaac (Chop's bookend Edge at Penn State is there when you expected him to be gone. It's no longer an area of need, but do you pass him up? Do you move someone to DT? Quick! Your decision needs to be made in 8 minutes max to get the paperwork in.

FYI, I'd keep CHOP and Area-51 on the edges and move Isaac in to DT with Collins giving us a stable DL.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I will be VERY disappointed if we waste our FIRST round pick on OL.

we currently have:
    -First rounder Laremy Tunsil (who we actually spent 2 on)
    -First rounder Kenyon Green (haven’t given him a chance to be healthy or in this system yet in his 2nd year)
    -Second Rounder Scruggs
    -Vet Mason
    -First Rounder Howard..

STOP INVESTING IN OL AND GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO LEARN A NEW SYSTEM GOOD GOD YALL.

it’s crazy to me that with everything we have put in the OL y’all are willing to spend more high draft capital on, and yet are scared to spend 10 mil on one of the most electric running backs in the game while we spend nothing on our franchise QB.

Rudyc281, red5rocket and cbass like this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we draft the OL, it leaves capital resources for that marquee RB in FA which is actually the better value.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Or…. Hear me out… we invest in the marquee RB in FA and then draft any of our other ACTUAL needs. I don’t want to use any capitol draft or FA on OLine, but I DEFINITELY don’t want to use a first round picks

red5rocket and cbass like this.