1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

Ran a sim - not gonna lie, would love this outcome with a future 1st from trading back.

59- TE JT Sanders, Texas
    64- DT Mckinnley Jackson, A&M
    75- RB Bucky Irving, Oregon
    86-WR Johnny Wilson, FSU
    2025 1st Chicago

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Rudyc281 and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. raining threes

Seems like a great fit to me if you dont think he's another Patterson, but that he is a faster Deebo who I think he compares too.

While this is great, the thought of Dejohn playing S and being able to be the nickle also is really appealing to me.

Of course I like Ennis Rakestraw a lot too.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If Dejohn is there, take him, package a trade to move back up to early second and maybe Legette is there.
    Obviously hoping for a Deebo or a big body Will Fuller with hands. But even Patterson ended up being a Deebo type for a while there, I think it depends on scheme.

5. Buck Turgidson

"Ennis Rakestraw Jr" is an excellent name

ROCKSS and red5rocket like this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I can get with this. No more using Tank as Deebo, please.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Another one to keep an eye on at the Senior Bowl is DT Leonard Taylor (Miami).

He has a quick first step, power at the point of attack against the run, and solid pass rush moves. However, he needs to improve his pad level and hand usage as a pass rusher, maintain gap discipline against the run, and has underwhelming college production, very inconsistent.

Taylor has intriguing physical tools but will need to refine his technique and discipline to maximize his ability at the next level. More consistency in finishing pass rush moves and maintaining run responsibility. Seems like a mid day two pick at the moment.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. raining threes

I don't like this guy as a high pick. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

Sooty likes this.
  9. Sooty

Haha yeah I hear ya. It’s like Clowney all over again.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Cooper from A&M is really gaining on me…would it be a reach to draft him in the first??…I've seen a lot of mocks that’s have him in the 2nd but I personally don’t think he drops that far…

A duo of Harris and Cooper flying around has me really intrigued and he’s great in coverage as well…

Or is he another Zach Cunningham??

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  12. Sooty

Yes! And I’ve been talking about this for months.

Another interesting late rounder I would like is Tyler Guyton from OU, as a developmental swing tackle in the NFL and south be available in the 5th round.

He is efficient in pulling footwork, great hand placement, and good length but struggles with flexibility to anchor against bull rushes, slow lateral agility, and inability to generate push in the run game.

Guyton has some decent technical traits (footwork and hands) and great size, he must improve significant weaknesses in functional strength and movement skills to make it.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Sooty

Good ask and he’s a great player. He is fast and fluid, excels in man coverage, but he can get caught staring into the backfield and leave his zone open in coverage. Though he has very, very good speed and change of direction skills, he needs to improve his awareness and discipline in zone coverage, as he is late to get his hands up and can come in too hot, making him susceptible to getting juked by shifty backs.

Cooper’s smaller frame and needs to add more size and strength in order to better hold his ground and get off blocks against the run.

If Cooper can improve his feel in zone coverage, he has upside due to his athleticism and movement skills but I wouldn’t look at him till our second if he is there.

raining threes, Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

The more I think about the more I come around to the idea of Byron Murphy in round 1 and Tez Walker in round 2. Might need to move around* to get those guys but I am definitely interested in each. Still think Brian Thomas is my first round target (hoping for Sweat in round 2) but Im moving toward Murphy the more I read and watch.

* move back for Murphy and up for Walker in round 2

#1154 sydmill, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    raining threes, Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think you'll have to move up for Murphy come draft day.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

That is looking like a pretty decent possibility over the past few weeks from some of the more respected mocks Ive seen. The consensus isnt there yet and I was hoping the Texans might get lucky with him being there at 23 or, better yet, by trading down and getting an extra 3rd or 4th from a team looking at a QB (which we could use to move up in the 2nd for Walker).

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is zero chance we spend ANOTHER first round pick on an OLineman.

y’all can tag this for receipts after draft but it’s not happening.

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If healthy LG seems like the only weakness. Assuming Scruggs is at Center.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

After spending the 15th pick on Kenyon Green who has been hurt but look at Stingley, traded for Kendrick, AND drafted Patterson…. No they are not going to draft another guy who “needs a year to develop”.. no way.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.