1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Lesser - which is debatable - doesn't mean bad.

Explain how it's a franchise killer? That's such empty hyperbole. There are so many "if"s stacked into that: if Stroud is bad; if the Texans secure the top pick; if Williams/Maye turn out to be elite QBs........

And even if all that happens... the Texans can get themselves another QB in '25 if the situation is that dire.

It is in no way. shape or form a franchise killer. That's just silly.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not silly. Demeco tied his career to a QB with less talent than what is coming up. That isn’t debatable.
    The draft capital used to move up when they didn’t need was extensive.
    If Stroud ends up a bust-like all Ohio St QBs-or even just a league average QB that changes the direction of the franchise and careers of all involved.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

What we cmoakin today?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Tangents.
    Missing out on Williams/Maye if we are a top 2 picking team.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Trevor Lawrence hype, and was claimed to be the the best generational talent, and has done? Winning the division with an almost losing record?
    Is still early for him, but it doesnt look that good. Do you think Williams or Maye will have a better career?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lawrence was one of the best young QBs in the game last year. Looks pretty damn good to me.
    I think Williams/Maye have a chance to be top 3-5 in the league.
    I don’t think Stroud has that upside, but I would gladly be wrong

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Again, silly hyperbole. They’ll know in as a many as two years what they have in Stroud. Are you suggesting Ryans’ entire tenure is going to be measured by that? Nonsense.

Name all the successful Texas Tech QBs before Mahomes. Or, keeping it relative: North Carolina QBs? That’s such a desperate play. All of these QBs are individuals, with their own strengths and weaknesses. Where they went to school is a very small piece of a much-larger puzzle.

If Stroud busts, then, yes - the draft capital spent becomes more problematic. But they’ll still be able to course-correct easily, if need be.

Stop being silly. No single draft sinks teams any more. It’s much easier to pivot and recover.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No being silly to it. Stroud busting-a very real and likely possibility-sets the franchise back at minimum 5 years. Specially after the assets traded.
    And makes it infinitely worse if we miss out on Maye/Williams and they hit their potential.

It’s silly not to understand that simple concept

9. Buck Turgidson

Stroud busting - a very real and likely possibility

Good to know this ****ing guy - who is not at all rooting against a certain player and for another - is keeping an open mind before training camp opens.

Sooty likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Here comes Buck with his patented passive aggressive p***y behavior. Typical.

The odds are against all QBs. Not just Stroud.
    But….when you factor in player history for school, cognitive testing, pressure differential and general lack of athleticism (being a throw back QB) he has a bust factor relative to his draft position.
    Bryce has just as much because of his size. Richardson and Levis have just as much because of their rawness.
    Stroud has accuracy and good overall arm talent outside of throwing on the run. That will always play.

But you nut huggers keep taking offense to the reality. We drafted a lower upside QB at number 2 overall than many of his peers.

11. Buck Turgidson

You can say what you want about me

But you are a ****ing repetive Tyco track set on 'zoom' constantly going over the side, flying off the table, into the wall, then saying "Nobody saw that, let's do it again"

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, that was funny. Laughed good at that one

houstonstime and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well when you have Carson Palmer as the best USC Qb, is not a good list, so you could say Williams is going to bust like every other USC QBs, or Mark Sanchez, who is more famous about the buttfumble,
    and Maye the same, name a QB that played for North Carolina and succeed.

I think Stroud is the best QB from this class, but lets see.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We will see. I hope he is

15. Hey Now!

Stroud potentially busting is very-real, yes. That potential is no more/less than literally every other rookie QB ever. But the idea it's a "likely possibility" is silly, as is the idea it will set the franchise back five years - if the Texans have a bad QB, they'll be in position to draft another one as needed. It's not we're going to run out of good QB prospects anytime soon.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We gave up a lot to get Anderson, but we still have a full draft class next year and a ton of cap space. If Stroud just becomes a decent game manager we will still be making the playoffs as early as next year. I don’t think we have the depth this year and will continue to need to build that across the board.

sydmill likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud busting is the same as all top drafted QBs, that’s all I’m saying.
    He also doesn’t have any elite traits physically to develop.

18. Hey Now!

If all you're saying is all rookie QBs carry the potential to bust - why are you advocating for them to jettison one rookie QB for another rookie QB?... If your stance was, I'd rather have XYZ available veteran QB - it would make more sense.

We really, truly have no idea what we have with Stroud. It's silly to assume the worst, though. They obviously think highly of him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Does Bryce Young?

Honest question. I was a big Bryce Young fan, but he doesn't have anything redeeming physically whatsoever. If we're going to get hung up on physical traits and only judging prospects on them, Stroud is a FAR superior prospect than Bryce.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Because if all bust chances are equal, I’d rather have the guy with a superior physical profile