1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It goes hand in hand! You need both. There is not one example of a great QB w/o a great weapon.

Bradshaw and Swan, Starbauch and Pearson, Montana and Rice, Manning and Harrison, Mahommes and Kelcie....QBs need weapons

raining threes likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It goes hand in hand! You need both. There is not one example of a great QB w/o a great weapon.

Bradshaw and Swan, Starbauch and Pearson, Montana and Rice, Manning and Harrison, Mahommes and Kelcie....QBs need weapons

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Mahomes had Hill and still has Kelce. Peyton had Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Various TEs, plus James at RB. Tom Brady didn't have WRs except for Moss that one year, but he didn't have Hernandez and Gronk in the 2010s in NE. Rodgers had Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Greg Jennings. Every QB needs help. Brady is probably the only one who has made below WRs look great consistently.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly! Every QB needs a weapon(s). Its delusional to think otherwise. As of now, the Texans don't have anyone, outside of Tunsil, on offense who is in the Top 5 at their position

#184 hlmbasketball, Sep 4, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    houstonstime likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ok, well:
    1. I said not counting Brady, but guess you had to anyways.
    2. You literally just named Mount Rushmore of QBs and that is who we are comparing whether or not Stroud can do the same? So I guess he can be Joe Burrow if he doesn’t elevate his receivers?
    3. Peyton had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and then had Demaryius Thomas.
    4. Mahomes had Tyreek Hill and Kelce. None of the other receivers have been good, hell Juju looked the worst he ever has.
    5. Rodgers without Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams? I guess he makes Lazard better?

I dunno, you named the best QBs of all time and most of them had elite receivers, afain Brady is the exception making little white guys into Allstars and when he had Moss it was insane. Just not seeing the correlation on how good stroud has to make his receivers…

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not every year for any of them, specially Rodgers/Mahomes and Brady.

No one is saying QBs don’t need help, but the greats turn the Cobbs, Stokleys, Welker, Hiltons, Emanuel Sanders, Deckers of the world into good receivers for them.

That’s the difference

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize there are multiple people on this board comparing Stroud to Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and others right?

You can’t have it both ways, you can’t compare him to the elites and then say well it’s not fair when someone points out they didn’t need top end talent around them to be successful

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You keep saying that.. 1. I’m not one of them so stop responding to me like I am. 2. I feel like every time I call you out for something like this you just say “well ppl are comparing him to Mahomes” where? Other than ppl saying they both run a 4.7-4.8, please show me where ppl are saying he is Mahomes like they do for Caleb Williams. The only one comparing is you when you say Goff and Matt Ryan.

Also, other ppl comparing stroud to them is not a response to the fact that you said elite QBs make their receivers better and then just named elite QBs who had elite receivers.. so you read the posts you respond to?

red5rocket and hlmbasketball like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

1. You responded to me first, when I was quoting a person that does compare Stroud to those elites.
    All you have to do is read and you can see multiple people/posts saying Stroud is the same type of athlete as Mahomes and Burrow and even Rodgers. Do your own reading/work.

Goff was literally a predraft comp by multiple scouts for Stroud, Ryan was on a few QB analysts. No one at all compared him to Mahomes and there was one site that Burrow like accuracy.

And no, there have been multiple years with no elite receivers for all of those QBs. Know your history.
    If you don’t, don’t respond to me and move around.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I must have missed those post, because I don't recall anyone comparing Stroud to the greats. He hasn't played a full NFL game as of yet.

Many have said he has some of the same traits as Burrow but Burrow is not in the same class as the greats; Brady, Rodgers or Manning. He hasn't won a Super Bowl yet.

Fulgore and J.R. like this.
  11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I have seen Goff with more mobility, but Matt Ryan comp seems to largely be coming from you. I've seen more comps to Burrow than just one. Even current Carolina Panthers QB coach Josh McCown, who knows way more about QBs than you ever will, comped him to Burrow.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So now McCown is knowledgeable? The guy gives the best possible outcomes.

Also, ESPN said Matt Ryan.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2...red-to-matt-ryan-by-espn-ohio-state-football/

https://x.com/panthersontap/status/1641769540743749633?s=46&t=J0JxURw-eBJcofK4L5bBAw

Omihall23 likes this.
  13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I'll give you Matt Ryan because as I was searching for the Burrow comparisons it does appear that Matt Ryan was a common comp as well. However, Burrow was brought up as a comp multiple times as well and I would agree that it's a best possible outcome comp.

https://nflexclusive.com/cj-stroud-is-similar-to-quarterback-joe-burrow/

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-draft-2023-prospect-cj-stroud-like-joe-burrow/

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-...o-Joe-Burrow-of-Cincinnati-Bengals-187877182/

https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-...wells-showers-incessant-praise-on-c-j-stroud/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...red-goff-comparisons/jnpkj4crick1gwaap7x90wi1

Fulgore and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If Stroud is either of them, it’s a win.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What's your comp for Levis?

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Upside? Like Ryan and Burrow for Stroud?

More athletic Stafford or a B level Josh Allen

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The comment wasn’t whether the elite QBs ever played without elite receivers, of course they have. But you were arguing that elite QBs make receivers better, where? Other than Brady.. all those QBs were great with great receivers, what years has Mahomes not had an elite receiving threat? Rodgers not having one? Which years? And in those years, what receivers did they make better?
    This isn’t even the point, no one is arguing that the great QBs aren’t great, but you make these matter of fact statements, then when anyone argues with you, you bring out random points to support your argument that have nothing to do with the original comments.

when someone says “stroud has the same 40 time as burrow” or “stroud is as accurate as burrow” then you come blazing with how we can’t compare him to the greats and he needs to make receivers better or he sucks.

but when you say “Levis ceiling is Josh Allen, Williams and Maye are Mahomes” then suddenly you are only talking about athleticism and we don’t know what we’re talking about. You get to make whatever comparisons you want using all the stats or none and yell at anyone else who makes any comparisons about any stat. It’s pretty ridiculous.

No one cares about athleticism except you, and it only favors your QBs.. easy to win arguments when you decide all the parameters.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

This is legit the first fair comment you have made on the matter. And you barely mentioned athleticism/wiggle. I agree with all of this.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you’re injecting your own opinions, but I only say something when they say same athleticism or movement ability. 40 time isn’t the same as athleticism which many here claim because Stroud is a 4.7/4.8 guy he’s Mahomes or Burrow level athlete. Movement and explosiveness is different than straight line speed.
    Daniel Jones is a 4.8 guy and one of the top 5 rushers in the league at QB.

And go year by year, there are multiple receivers each season that come out of nowhere with all of those QBs. Because they don’t need elite talent around them to be elite or lead their teams.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, I’ve been very consistent on the matter. Your emotions have made things more than they were.
    Chill out