1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Hypothetical Astros Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 23, 2024.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree Vlad is better because he has 1 additional year and this team needs a big bat to replace Alex next year.

But Walker will be way cheaper because he's a rental and I think will be better (especially defensively) for the remainder of 2024.

raining threes and Castian Crew like this.
  2. Yordan The Great

Fedde is a much better value pickup over Crochet.

Dude is 7-3 with a 2.99 era.

You've got a much higher price tag on Crochet and you've got a huge risk/ reward regarding his injury history.

Fedde is good thru 2025 and at only $7.5 million.

joshuaao, BigMaloe, cbass and 6 others like this.
  3. Amadeus Rooster

Fedde opened today w a walk, single another walk then got er done w no runs in the top 1st to the Twins. Then CWS won 3 to 1 in the first game of the DH.

Good pitcher, perhaps!

raining threes likes this.
  4. raining threes

Give me the best bat that can hit high level pitching in the playoffs, even if he costs more. It's not like Vlad is bad defensively.

5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If we go after a starter a reliever and a bat it could very easily put the team salary over the third level penalty. No way crane is going there. Whatever we do has to cost less than $19,5 mil total to avoid that third level penalty. If Fedde is $7,5 mil and we can find a first base bat for the about the same we will have about 4.5 mil max for the bullpen. I do not play with trade scenarios enough to know what these guys cost. Could we do Fedde, Walker and Scott for less than 20 million?

6. raining threes

Crane could attach a prospect or 2 to move Montero's money in a trade and free up the needed money.

Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Walker vs Vlad Jr. (OPS+)

2022: Walker 125 Vladdy 133
    2023: Walker 124 Vladdy 116
    2024: Walker 138 Vladdy 132

Career post season*:
    Walker .737 OPS Vladdy .422 OPS

*very small sample size

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ive gone back to watching most of the game since we turned the corner. I am not as knowledgeable as some of you hard-core baseball fans, but my basic observation is that this is a championship level offense, but we will need one to two pitchers to really make a run at it.

Id love to be very aggressive and add Vlad, A highly impactful, starting pitcher, and then just another relief pitching option to have that can slot in behind Pressly/Abreu/Hader.

Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  9. Amadeus Rooster

What do you think about the idea that when Abreu is not with us that the team has quite an impressive record? Sorry or sad to say it but addition thru subtraction it seems to me. Gulp.

BlindHog likes this.
  10. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Member

Yeah, this is worth a look

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...rade-deadline-latest-30-teams-all-star-break/

Astros GM Dana Brown has made it clear to other front offices that he’s focused on adding a veteran starter and an impactful long- or short-term solution at first base. He’s talked to the Mets about Luis Severino and Pete Alonso, and has discussed Christian Walker with the Diamondbacks, Cody Bellinger with the Cubs and Andrew Vaughn with the White Sox. In terms of starters, the Astros have shown interest in Garrett Crochet, Erick Fedde, Jack Flaherty, Chris Bassitt, Yusei Kikuchi, Kevin Gausman, Cal Quantrill and Austin Gomber, among others.

12. the shark

the shark Member

Vlad would definitely be a nice addition to the middle of our lineup, however, the GM of Toronto said a few days ago the only players they'd look to move are players who's contract expire after this season. Anyone who's under contract beyond '24 they're not moving. Could they change their mind if they're offered a package that blows them away? Absolutely. Just don't think Dana Brown will offer such a package.

raining threes and Radricky like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I sure hope the Astros aren’t really interested in Cody Bellinger. He’s posting the lowest barrel % and hard hit rate of his career and he has 2 big player options after this season. If that is a deal Houston does then Chicago better be kicking in a bunch of money if the options vest.

IowaAstro and raining threes like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Updated list of likely available players:

C: Danny Jansen, Martin Maldonado

IF: Yandy Diaz, Brandon Lowe, Amed Rosario, Isaac Paredes, Justin Turner, Gio Urshela, Paul DeJong, Andrew Vaughn, Luis Rengifo, Luis Guillorme, Brandon Drury, Miguel Andujar, Joey Meneses, Nick Senzel, Ildemaro Vargas, Josh Bell

OF: Randy Arozarena, Kevin Kiermaier, Mark Canha, Tommy Pham, Gavin Sheets, Eloy Jimenez, Andrew Benintendi, Taylor Ward, Kevin Pillar, Willie Calhoun, Brent Rooker, Jesse Winker, Lane Thomas, Joey Gallo

SP: Zach Eflin, Zack Littell, Yusei Kikuchi, Jack Flaherty, Garret Crochet, Erik Fedde, Chris Flexen, Max Scherzer, Andrew Heaney, Michael Lorenzen, Tyler Anderson, Griffin Canning, Ross Stripling, Alex Wood, Trevor Williams, Patrick Corbin, Trevor Rogers, Cal quantrill, Austin Gomber

RP (who might interest Houston): Yimi Garcia, Andrew Chafin, John Brebbia, Michael Kopech, David Robertson, Jose LeClerc, Kirby Yates, Jose Urena, Carlos Estevez, Hunter Strickland, Carson Fulmer, Matt Moore, Scott Alexander, Dylan Floro, Hunter Harvey, Declan Cronin, Tanner Scott, Jorge Lopez

Thoughts:

VERY weak OF market. It’s too bad McCormick isn’t hitting, as he’d probably fetch a good return if he was. As it is, Loperfido might be a big trade chip if Houston wants to deal with an NL team looking for OF upgrades.

If Tampa doesn’t sell or another team doesn’t see their fortunes turn south, the 1B/IF market could be totally barren. Houston may very well be married to Singleton for the rest of this season.

The SP and RP market seem pretty robust as long as you’re just looking for depth instead of true impact players. I like Houston’s odds of upgrading their pitching staff for a somewhat reasonable price.

Both the Reds and Pirates made buy-side trades already, but that may have been an effort to show face before turning into sellers. That would open up the market a bit but still a lot tbd over the next week to ten days.

#734 Snake Diggit, Jul 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    joshuaao, BigMaloe, the shark and 3 others like this.
  15. raining threes

Good list

Loperfido should bring back a MOR type guy with control.

I would rather Dana fill one of the OF holes rather than add a 1B. Singleton has been solid enough over there. Chas hiring .200 and you could certainly upgrade from Meyers. I'm almost to the point of sending Chas down and platooning Loperfido, Leon in LF. They would be defensive upgrades and couldn't be much worse with the bat.

16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

17. raining threes

Wonder what it would take to add Alonso, Fedde, Brebbia?

I watched Brebbia yesterday and was really impressed.

18. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

I can't wait until Conversations starts hitting HRs for us. We'll be a beast for sure.

Imagine our top 6

Altuve
    Bregman
    Yordan
    Tucker
    Conversations
    Yainer

DAAAAANG!

19. The Beard

The Beard Member

Don't disagree with your point, but Blanco is already approaching his high in innings for one year. It's gonna be really difficult to limit his innings after the ASB because we all need to remember, as of now we aren't even in a playoff spot. It's gonna take all we got just to get there

I think what Blanco is doing is repeatable, and even though he is already 30, he should be someone we count on for the next few years

But I worry a lot about what he will have in the tank come September/October

Amadeus Rooster and Radricky like this.
  20. The Beard

The Beard Member

If we add someone at all 3 spots, Montero will almost surely be going the other way in one of the deals

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.