1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Hypothetical Astros Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 23, 2024.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Nats are gonna be sellers. I wouldnt mind Meneses as a reclamation and wondering what it would take for Lane Thomas?

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No but only 4 SP and 12 total pitchers are needed in the playoffs because of off days.

whiskeyred likes this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Member

Plus dude can't stay healthy

We have plenty of injured dudes already

4. The Beard

The Beard Member

I like this in general, but two things

1. Just added 18 million for the rest of this year, 18 million next year and 17.5 million in 2026. We likely aren't planning on signing Bregman so the next two years probably aren't as big of a deal, but the 18 this year would put us at the top of the next threshhold level of the tax which i'm not sure Crane would approve

2. I'm sure they want pitching that is ready now, but we need to ADD a starter badly, not swap one out for a better one, who also has an era approaching 5 this year. Dude has been great over the years, but if we are going to give up that much and add that much salary, i'd rather do it for a starter who is having a great, or at least good, season

5. The Beard

The Beard Member

Dubon is a GREAT pinch hit option late in a playoff game when you just need a big single

6. The Beard

The Beard Member

Any chance they add an OF and at that point consider Loper at 1B?

7. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Also, don't want Walker. He's 33, would cost a ton and could get similar results from what we have already at the plate.

8. raining threes

I get this, but if Dana trades for an OF (Which I'm not against them doing) then I hope they use Diaz/Caratini and Singleton in a platoon situation and Loperfido gets some time playing in CF if Meyers continues his 2 month and counting slump.

1. Altuve
    2. Bregs
    3. Alvarez
    4. Tucker
    5. Diaz
    6. Traded for LF
    7. Pena
    8. Meyers/Loperfido
    9. Diaz/Caratini/Singleton.

The heck with it, do what it takes to get Vlad and call up Leon.

#708 raining threes, Jul 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  9. Nook

Nook Member

They have been linked to a few outfielders, Robert of the White Sox is an example.

Their priority is 1st base and ideally a left handed bat. However, if they cannot get that done they could pivot to an outfielder or DH type. A lot of the bats they are linked to are not first basemen.

10. raining threes

They could trade Montero in a separate deal and attach a guy like Cole to get rid of Montero's contract. Would this put them under the Tax Threshold?

Arrighetti would be on the table table for an upgrade

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Agreed.

As long as you need a single and not a walk - or even expect him to take a pitch !!

ALCS game 6 8th inning AB still may be among the worst most disappointing ABs I've ever seen.

The Beard and everyday eddie like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reading the tea leaves it wouldn’t shock me if Houston knows McCullers AND Verlander are not going to be back this season. That would explain the consistent rumor of Houston looking for a multi-year SP even though on paper they could have 8 quality guys back by the time the playoffs arrive.

BigMaloe, The Beard, Nook and 6 others like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Could not disagree more.

1) who cares how old a guy is if he's playing well and is just a rental?

2) He is a rental at the cheapest, easiest position to fill, so while he may be near the top of that list ( behind only Alfonso) he won't cost multiple top prospects.

3) He has won 2 consecutive gold gloves and a 135 wRC+. The Astros have 2 players - Kyle and Yordan who are better than 135. ( Altuve is 134) No way he does not instantly improve this lineup.

And NO Singleton, Dubon, Loperfido, Diaz, Cabbage or whoever else you have in mind can match what he brings.

14. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Rather have Vlad

raining threes likes this.
  15. Amadeus Rooster

Blanco and Brown pitchers have ignited this run if you ask me. In my mind I have em both ahead of JV the horrible playoff pitcher and Frambers where be my head Valdez for playoffs.

Wood be the suck to get to the playoffs and have Brown and Blanco riding the bench and JV and Framber go out get drilled and start the series 0 n 2....

raining threes likes this.
  16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Wouldn't it be season over if they go 0-2? Wild card series best of 3?? Unless you think Houston can catch Cleveland or Baltimore for a bye spot. But if you go Brown and Blanco for the wild card series and win both, it'll force Verlander and Valdez to go games 1 and 2 in the divisional series.

First off, I'm not saying I want or don't want him but last year they were linked to Bellinger. No idea if that was true or media driven. He's CF/1B lefty bat. Any idea if they're interested in him? Only concern is he has opt out clause. I'm assuming they would want him to opt out and have him strictly as a rental. Would there be concerns of him staying?

Also you mentioned Robert Jr, Sheets. What about Andrew Vaughn? No idea if he's available but saw his name mentioned. He's a righty bat though and no idea how his defense is.

#716 punkoholic, Jul 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
    Amadeus Rooster likes this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Id rather have Ohtani but the Astros don’t have the prospects for him either.

Castian Crew and Htown Stros like this.
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Verlander isn’t a “horrible playoff pitcher”. He’s got a 3.58 career postseason ERA over a full season worth of innings.

19. Nook

Nook Member

There hasn't been any optimism about McCullers, they were not counting on him to stay healthy even if he came back.

With Garcia that hope he can help in either the pen or rotation. To me, the pen makes the most sense because he is working himself back, he had to make changes in his delivery - and there is a need for another top pen arm. Yeah they need a starter too, but asking him to take the ball every 5 days and do well and pitch through the playoffs is a big ask for a guy that was really just figuring it all out when he was injured.

As for Verlander, they want him for the playoffs. My OPINION is that he is close to the end. A few years ago he started being exhausted by the playoffs, then last year he had injuries and labored at times. This season, he has been more good than great, isn't going deep and is hurt again. So I cannot see how they can expect him to be healthy through the regular season and playoffs. He is someone you try to ride into the playoffs.

One name I recently heard the Astros were pressing to get done, and came close to getting is Eric Fedde. He has pitched very well with the White Sox as a starter, and is under contract next year as well. He isn't a huge stuff guy, but since coming back to the USA, he has done well and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He would give the Astros solid innings this year and next. Sox have stepped back a bit on dealing him yet.

The name connected to the Astros for awhile now is Kevin Gausmann. He makes perfect sense in that he is an ace in the past, he can pitch a lot of innings and is healthy and is under team control through next year. He had a terrible June though, so they need to be careful about that.

20. Radricky

Radricky Member