1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Nov 6, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've had my own disagreements with Progressives so it's best I just let them respond for themselves.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

Whenever I volunteered in the Houston democratic party I came across them all the time. They have no interest in governoring and just want to destroy the democratic party and start over. The far left is a poison on the democratic party.

The defund the police garbage turned off so many voters in 2020 which cost biden a good 10 seats in the house. The far left has no idea how unpopular their culture war bs is. Now these same frauds want to lecture democrats on how to pass legislation when they can't win a national election if their life depended on it.

#62 astros123, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny, I don't remember Bernie bros starting an insurrection and beating down cops, and threatening to kill the Vice President. I also don't remember them spewing hate towards gays, blacks, Jews, and immigrants. I also don't remember them running around gunning people down with assault rifles because of their sexual preference, race, or religious preference with anywhere near the frequency of the far right. I think the biggest difference is the threat they pose towards other Americans who don't fit their mold.

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes as many of the more Progressive posters here will attest I've had the same disagreements with them on those subjects. The Democratic party though is a coalition. ANy major party is a coalition. The success of Democrats has been they've been able to hold the coalition. A big part of that though is due to how extreme and frankly crazy much of the Republican party is.

While I don't agree with Progressives all the time I do recognize that they do occupy a niche in the political spectrum and actually a needed niche. On principle I do believe debate is important and the best legislation and governance can come from laws and poliicies that are debated and hammered out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

Since when do progressives give a damn about compromise and hammering out detail? You have lefties in this thread brainwashed about how biden could give huge rally in west Virginia and somehow flip manchin vote and have him be more progressives. You think these folks are capable of compromise and governoring? These folks are NEVER happy with anything biden does cuz its not their cult leader whos bernie who hasn't accomplished a single damn thing in 40 years.

Biden gave out 1400 checks lefties bashed him for them not being 2k
    Biden does 20k student debt and they bash him for it not being more
    Biden passes climate law and braindead lefties bash him for not passing full BBB

I can go on and on and give you examples. There's no pleasing these people cuz they don't give a **** about progress or governoring. They want to destroy the party so they're cult leaders can be in power.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Again I’ll let the progressives respond for themselves.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Peggy Noonan:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-...ependents-bea741f2?mod=hp_opin_pos_5#cxrecs_s

Biden vs. Trump in 2024? Don’t Be So Sure
    Look at voters’ faces when you describe the match-up and you’ll realize they’re open to alternatives.
    By Peggy Noonan
    April 27, 2023 at 6:44 pm ET

Look at people’s faces when you say, “Looks like it’ll be Biden and Trump.” Those faces tell you everything—the soft wince, the shake of the head, the sigh. Those are the emblems of the 2024 campaign right now.

Seventy percent of his own party doesn’t want Joe Biden to run. More than half his party doesn’t want Donald Trump to run. Yet here at the moment we are, with this growing sense of sad inevitability. “Apparently there are only two people in America,” Desi Lydic, sitting in on “The Daily Show,” explained.

Mr. Biden is unopposed because his party couldn’t rouse itself to do what Democrats have almost existed to do, have a big, mean, knockdown, drag-out brawl. Sometimes party discipline is a failure and a mistake. Republicans at least are having a fight but, yes, primary state polls show Mr. Trump dominating.

Feels like another disaster, doesn’t it?

I agree with those who say the problem isn’t only Joe Biden’s age but the implication his age carries: that if he is re-elected there’s a significant chance Kamala Harris will become president. She has been a mystery, a politician who has been unable to say anything pertinent or even coherent on policy. Instead, the loud and sudden laughter unconnected to any clear stimuli, and the sheer looping nonsense of her words. This will give voters pause.

On the Republican side the great not-Trump option, the consistent number two in the polls, has been deflating. It is too early to say Ron DeSantis’s candidacy won’t work. But it feels like it won’t work. But life is surprising.

I’m not going to pick on him on the Disney fight. I thought Disney wrong to come forward, as a major corporation, and use its beloved name to take sides on a delicate state educational issue that was being handled democratically—as in, the governor, who would soon be up for re-election, made a policy decision, got a bill passed, and if the voters don’t like it they could throw him out. Disney shouldn’t have pushed its way in to advance its cultural preferences. That said, Mr. DeSantis’s pushback was as dramatic as it was incompetent.

A big challenge for politicians is the management of powerful and competing interests and institutions, especially those that want to galumph into local political arguments. You have to manage this with firmness but as little friction as possible, because there are always a million arguments and friction keeps things too hot. Not explaining your stand, and Mr. DeSantis isn’t good at explaining his thinking, doesn’t help. Giving the sense you’re getting a partisan kick out of the fracas makes it worse.

Yes, a big challenge for corporations is to remember their mission. For more than a century Budweiser’s mission was to make beer and sell it at a profit. Disney has been entertaining America for nearly a century. They should do that. Except in the most extraordinary and essential cases they shouldn’t give in to the temptation to put themselves forward as deep-thinking cultural leaders. Mind your business, keep your side of the street clean, treat your people well, set a standard, pay them well. Don’t add to the friction. It doesn’t help; it only makes things more bitter.

Mr. DeSantis is reported to be announcing his presidential run later this spring. I got an interesting note about him the other day from the veteran political operative Alex Castellanos. He said the problem for Mr. DeSantis is not that he’s unlikable: “The problem for Ron is worse. It’s that he does not like us.” When voters see a political figure likes them, they start to trust him, because they know “he will do a lot to preserve their affection.”

Politicians find ways to be popular when they’re not so likable. Richard Nixonwas one.

But here is the real point of this column. If it starts to seem clear that America is once again locked into a Trump-Biden race, I think the electorate is going to get frisky. I don’t see people just accepting it. I see pushback and little rebellions. Two examples:

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who announced last week, this week hit 19% support among Democratic voters. That’s a lot! Especially for a guy who’s been labeled a bit of a nut. (He has been a leader of the idea that childhood vaccines are connected to autism.) But his larger general message would appeal to the edges of left and right, and blends into the general populist mood: Corporations and the government are lying to you, playing you for a fool.

And in an odd way his past nuttiness bolsters his believability: He has worn the scorn of establishments as a medal. His own family isn’t for him. It doesn’t seem to mess with his swing.

He has what Mr. Trump has: star power. And there is the name. I recently was with a physical therapist—early middle age, suburban, not especially interested in politics—who, while working my back, asked if I knew Mr. Kennedy. No, I said. Is he drawing your interest?

She spoke admiringly of his family—of JFK, of RFK the father. She liked them and thought their politics were similar to hers. I asked if she had any living memory of JFK or RFK. No, she said, she was born after they were killed. And yet she spoke of them as if she remembered them.

I say watch him. He is going to be a force this year.

Second, watch a third-party bid. The centrist group No Labels says it’s provisionally attempting to get on the ballot in all 50 states. We’ll see how that works. But a third party, if it comes, could have real and surprising power in this cycle. I am the only person I know who thinks this but, again, look at peoples’ faces when you say it will be Trump or Biden.

Independents now outnumber members of each party. No hunger for a third-party effort is discernible in the polls. So the effort would have to blow people out of their comfortable trenches and make them want to go over the top to seize new ground. It would have to be something centrists, by their nature, aren’t: dramatic. The people who would lead such an effort worry about whether or not they’d wind up as spoilers for the Democrats. You could argue as well it might spoil things for the Republicans.

They should be thinking: We are past the moment for such questions. If you think the country is in trouble and needs another slate of candidates, do it. No ambivalence, no guilt about spoiling it for the lesser of evils. If you’re serious, go for it. Look at the other two guys as spoilers.

A third party would have to have compelling candidates for president and vice president. That would be hard. I am not certain a third party is desirable. But I don’t think it’s impossible.

Third-party enthusiasts tend to be moderate, sober-minded. Such people are almost by definition not swept by the romance of history. But we are living in a prolonged crazy time in American politics. Anything can happen now.

Really, anything. I wonder if they know it.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

Its funny how you claim you dont watch foxnews but somehow *ONLY* post articles from his enterprise. You only post from wsj + nypost but you swear you never watch foxnews lol.

Hilarious

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

200w.gif

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://theoldreader.com/feeds/5f0b587dc70bc2053f000827

Budowsky: What Biden, Sununu and, yes, even McCarthy understand about 2024
    by Brent Budowsky, opinion contributor
    06/07/23 7:00 AM ET

President Joe Biden, Gov. Chris Sununu (R-N.H.) and possibly House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) understand that the largest single political constituency in America includes those who suffer intense fatigue from the politics of anger, rage, hatred and division.

At some point during the 2024 campaign, there will be a move among thoughtful Republicans to draft Sununu to join the race for president. He is the most serious and eloquent opponent of the dark impulses of some Republicans who are causing the intense fatigue across the political landscape.

Last week America came perilously close to defaulting on its debt, nearly destroying the credit rating of the full faith and credit of our country and causing a deep worldwide recession.

There were two reasons this historic catastrophe did not happen. The first was President Biden. The second was Speaker McCarthy. They both deserve and will receive historic acclaim for achieving the landmark bipartisan agreement, which includes important provisions that many on both sides did not favor.

For Biden, it represented the latest achievement of a president who has undeniably achieved great things, several through the types of bipartisan moves he has long advocated.

For McCarthy, this was an impressive achievement, not least because it was out of character and very challenging under his political circumstances.

The compromise between Biden and McCarthy reminded me of President Reagan and Speaker Tip O’Neill (D-Mass.), whose cooperation I witnessed as a young staffer working for the House Democratic leadership. Can it continue during future crises? One can hope.

Speaking of crises, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenksy is acting like a modern-day Winston Churchill and President Biden like a modern-day Franklin Roosevelt as they battle the criminal Russian invasion of Ukraine by a Russian dictator accused of war crimes.

By contrast, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, initially dismissing the criminal invasion as a mere “territorial dispute,” is giving ludicrous speeches that make him sound like a high school Churchill imitator — battling wokeism on the beaches, on the landing grounds, etc.

In one of the most consequential and underestimated developments of the 2024 campaign, Sununu has emerged as the most cogent and serious voice in the GOP.

As Sununu and many Democrats and astute commentators often note, Americans’ widespread fatigue against these GOP trends has created a party of losers — and it will remain a party of losers unless they change.

Sununu, Biden and countless others fully understand that Americans want unity, not division. They want decency, not anger. They want patriotic idealism, not partisan rage. They want Americans united and treated like countrymen and women — not enemies by Trump, Trump imitators, sycophants or so-called woke warriors.

Sununu fully understands and best expresses the great truth that something has gone terribly wrong with the Republican Party today. None of the GOP candidates have come close to Sununu in honestly and directly expressing what plagues the GOP today.

Meanwhile, Biden will continue building on his historically impressive record of achievement as president, seeking bipartisanship whenever possible.

Hopefully McCarthy will continue to grow into his job as Speaker. And if he does, Democrats should pledge to oppose the radical right’s efforts to remove him.

Budowsky served as an aide to former Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-Texas) and former Rep. Bill Alexander (D-Ark.), who was chief deputy majority whip of the House of Representatives.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

looking forward to welcoming President None-of-the-Above in January 2025

Almost half in new poll would consider third-party presidential candidate

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-consider-third-party-presidential-candidate/

excerpt:

Almost half of voters in a poll released Wednesday said that they would consider casting their ballot for a third-party presidential candidate in the 2024 election.

The Quinnipiac University poll found that 47 percent said they would consider voting for a third-party candidate, while another 47 percent said they would not.
    more

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tr...ve-candidate-biden-286ced48?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

The Stupid Party vs. the Evil Party
    One of the two parties has no intention of losing with these two front runners. Guess which one.
    By Daniel Henninger
    Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:18 pm ET

An overwhelming majority of the public, more than 60%, doesn’t want either Joe Biden or Donald Trump to run for president. Yet the two major political parties are tumbling toward that unwanted choice. The late Washington economist Herb Stein articulated what came to be known as Stein’s law: “If something cannot go on forever, it will stop.” That’s my belief about this election: Biden vs. Trump is unthinkable, therefore it won’t happen.

Former Wyoming GOP Sen. Alan Simpson, one of the most acerbic characters in our politics, used to call Republicans “the stupid party.” But Sen. Simpson wasn’t done. Democrats, he said, were “the evil party.”

Which would you rather be right now, the stupid party or the evil party? My money says the evil party will find a way out of the Biden-Trump dilemma.

Put it this way: The party that nominates someone other than these two will win the decisive votes of independents, and the election. The Republicans look locked into their forget-the-independents choice. I don’t think the Democrats are.

It is difficult to disagree with the assumption that the multiple prosecutions are ensuring Mr. Trump’s nomination. Virtually every event related to the four indictments ratchets up the Republican rage meter another several points for the former president. You knew that Trump mug shot was worth millions the moment you saw it. So too U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan’s decision to plop down the Trump trial in Washington on March 4, hours before the Super Tuesday primary. Her explanation: “My primary concern here is the interest of justice and that I’ve balanced the defendant’s right to adequately prepare.” Uh-huh.

The support for Mr. Trump is overwhelmingly an emotional rush and blood feud. But come election time, Democrats won’t do emotion. They’re bloodless, with eyes only on the prize. As Bill Clinton said after the 1996 election to Bob Dole who complained about unfair Clinton attack ads: “You gotta do what you gotta do.” This time, Democrats will take the advice of a Clinton who knew how to win.

Mr. Trump’s capture of the GOP nomination could become secure if their support for him in polls rises into the strong 60% or even 70% range. That polling momentum, propelled by anti-prosecution rage, could produce early, fait-accompli Trump wins in Iowa, New Hampshire and then South Carolina on Feb. 24.

Once Democrats conclude the Republican Party has arrived at a point of no return on a Trump candidacy, it will be time for another Clyburn moment.

Ahead of the February 2020 Democratic primary in South Carolina, Rep. Jim Clyburn, reflecting the Democratic establishment consensus, pulled the plug on then-front-runner Sen. Bernie Sanders as unelectable in a general election, and endorsed Joe Biden. It was a fraud on voters that Mr. Biden was a “moderate,” but Democrats do what they gotta do.

To win in 2024, they will pull the plug on Joe Biden.

Democratic Rep. Dean Phillips of Minnesota is already laying the groundwork, saying recently that “Democrats are telling me that they want, not a coronation, but they want a competition.” As widely reported, some 50% of Democrats don’t want Mr. Biden to run.

The 2024 presidential election has mega-importance beyond the needs of any single personality. The U.S. is at a political tipping point. Depending on party control of the White House, the country will go further left, as it is now, or turn back across the center-right. For nearly three years, Mr. Biden has been a figurehead president, allowing the party’s career progressives to use executive orders and administrative rulemaking to put in place their longtime policy goals and mandates on climate, labor-union practices and statistically derived social equity outcomes.

The party that wins next year could set the country’s direction for a generation. Democrats won’t let Mr. Biden’s weaknesses put their agenda at risk.

I don’t know which village elders would go in to tell Mr. Biden he has to withdraw. But the message to Mr. Biden would be that he has a choice: Be remembered by his party as the most progressive president since FDR, or as an unpopular incumbent who lost to Donald Trump or was forced to resign for reasons of incapacity.

Unlike the Clyburn endorsement, there won’t be a coronation. Democrats can’t explicitly throw over Kamala Harris, but they can open their primaries to an array of Democratic governors who would evade responsibility for Mr. Biden’s economic policies: California’s Gavin Newsom, Michigan’s Gretchen Whitmer, North Carolina’s Roy Cooper, Colorado’s Jared Polis, Pennsylvania’s Josh Shapiro, New Jersey’s Phil Murphy or Illinois’s J.B. Pritzker.

Democrats don’t have to win big. They just have to win, and most of these governors, with the party and its donor base behind them, could pull across a winning margin of independents desiring a minimally acceptable alternative to voting for the Trump tumult. Then they would likely win again in 2028.

Of course, the opposite is true: Virtually any of the other Republican candidates would surely defeat a Joe Biden unpopular for personal and policy reasons. What is not a mystery is whether the stupid party or the evil party will figure this out first.

Appeared in the August 31, 2023, print edition as 'The Stupid Party vs. the Evil Party'.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Calling a party evil is why MAGA is a big hit. Look inward before judging parties as stupid or evil. Be decent.