1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

He's not a .300 hitter. He's a below average hitter on a streak. Astros would overpay for someone who'd strike out more than a fat guy hitting on victoria secret models.
    Rather keep Chas than have Belly. If we got him he'd barely hit .230 for us. We don't need a guy that swings for HRs, we need contact hitters that can get on base routinely. Belly has never shown to be that guy consistently.

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly Hader would move to the Closer Role with Pressley playing out his time as a set up guy. Problem is Astros would have to find a way to ship Montero away or this wouldn't even be in the realm of a possibility

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

If we did a deal with the Padres for Snell and Hader they would have to take back Montero. This may be a valuable option to seek.

4. toby

toby Member

There will be lots to learn looking back on this era of pitch clock that I'm not sure you all are fully appreciating. I really believe that WBC and the clock have contributed to exhaustion, injury, and personal stigmas that are in some of these guy's heads. Every pitcher no. But this was a crap year to introduce the clock right after the WBC (or the WBC right before the clock - take your pick), especially for those that have been in the majors for more than a few years. This isn't a video game - these are people that are dealing with real problems. I honestly believe that there will be books written about pitching this year.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd take the Braves lineup still, but if we run our best lineup, we are right there with Texas, IMO.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Wonder if Hader, Snell and Lugo
    For
    Garcia,Melton, Meyers, Baez, Montero and Whitaker would be enough to push a trade threw

7. Nook

Nook Member

I have said from when Alvarez was in AA that he was a LFer, when Keith Law and all of his buddies said he was too stiff, would be fat - too slow (yeah right).

Having said that - Yordan is the Astros LF to the extent that is in the best interest of the Astros. If the Astros get Bellinger, then Yordan is going to be the DH a lot with Bellinger/Tucker/McCormick in the OF.

There are a multitude of ways the Astros can improve, and it’s a good thing, because there is a finite of players available on the trade market.

Urquidy for example may find himself in the bullpen when he comes back if the reliever market is too hot, and the Astros pursue a starting pitcher instead.

As for Diaz, he can catch, DH and play some first. When the playoffs come, Diaz will get a start or two a series and Dana Brown isn’t a child, he can actually effectively communicate with the manager and owner and discuss Maldonado and Diaz.

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Agree. I just don't see Bellinger being an Astro.

Verdugo seems to be a better fit. And we have him for another year

Nook and astros123 like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Boston is not selling.

rockbox likes this.
  10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You really think Dusty is going to bench Maldy? LOL

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Question?

Would the Yankees entertain the notion of
    Montero and a Prospect like Leon for Donaldson?

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

No one wants Montero.

astros123 likes this.
  13. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

not to mention Donaldson is god awful

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

only good thing about Donaldson is he's a free agent after this season I believe. So is the cost of Leon worth getting out of Montero's contract? I'll say no in hopes that Montero can bounce back next season. And I would rather use Leon as a trade chip for a player that'll help Houston.

raining threes likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He won an MVP and was over 800 OPS for his 3 seasons. He's only been bad for the 2 season prior to this and even with those horrible seasons, his career OPS is .820. the fear was that he would never regain his edge. I guess being away from his weed dealer has done him some good.

jayfree and raining threes like this.
  16. raining threes

You can have both and I doubt if he stays healthy that he's going to hit .230

jayfree likes this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Why would anyone want Donaldson? That guy makes maldy look like a decent player

everyday eddie, Bregatron and jayfree like this.
  18. jayfree

jayfree Member

I believe he's more the player of the last 2 years than so far this year. He won't stay at .300 by years end or even next year. He's not good in the clutch, bats under .200 with 2 ks and .228 with 2 outs in the inning.
    Astros need guys that can extend innings. He's not the guy

Post season: .211 with 87 Ks in 69 games, ,285 OB%

#1718 jayfree, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    raining threes likes this.
  19. Radricky

Radricky Member

Big fat ****ing no to anything that would include Josh Donaldson

Tomstro, awc713 and Bregatron like this.
  20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

No one wants Donaldson