1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gurriel was one of the greatest most productive international hitters of all time. I understand you’re just calling out the exception to my comment, but Gurriel was far more highly thought of at that time than McCormick is today.

Nook and PuzzledFan like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas is already 28. My bet would be on Meyers getting most of the CF time going forward. I don't think Chas is good enough offensively against RHPs to get 407 PAs as a corner OF. I don't see him getting to 408 PAs in Houston. Problem for Chas (and Houston) is there aren't many teams that I can think of that are contending and need someone like Chas at the moment. Milwaukie might be the only one.

For Chas's value as a free agent and trade value, not getting close to a full season last year likely really hurts. His primary skill does not age well.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s really had both a 90th percentile outcome to visit career and a 30th percentile outcome to his career at the same time. It’s wild. He had no business believing he should be a MLB player with his pedigree and then his performance would indicate that he had no business not getting the lions share of AB’s, but his manager kept trotting out nukes straw, a broken Jake meyers and Dubon when he was like 40% below average. Kind of crazy.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Negative rumblings around McCullers. At this point I don’t think they should count on their non-Framber-Javier-Brown SP to fill more than one spot; McCullers and Urquidy are seriously injured, France has been inconsistent, and Bielak is a known fringey AAAA. Their minor leaguers are either underperforming, hurt, or more than a few months away. So I now think Houston should probably focus on adding a SP. Guys who should be available:
    Shane Bieber
    Lucas Giolito
    Lance Lynn
    Micheal Lorenzen
    Matthew Boyd
    Zack Greinke
    Patrick Corbin
    Trevor Williams
    Marcus Stroman
    Drew Smyly
    Mitch Keller
    Rich Hill
    Kyle Freeland

Jordan Montgomery and Miles Mikolas might also be available.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I have no confidence in France. I have seen him in person twice in the big leagues right behind home plate. He is smoke and mirrors.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He is a fine guy to have around…as the 7th or 8th SP waiting in AAA.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have no confidence in any of the options outside of the top 3.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I get what Dana Brown is trying to do with France and Bielak. Bide time until we hopefully get our guys back and/or the trade market opens up and you don't have to overpay.

However it definitely feels like we're just holding back the dam with those 2 starting 40% of our games. With LMJ continuing to lack progress, I kinda want to see us try one of the AA guys who might actually have upside.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think any GM worth his salt is going to get all he can in a trade. He will reach out to all other potential GM trade partners. Trade now or trade later doesn't matter as far as cost. There is no reason to wait when the Rangers continue to lead the division.

If Brown thinks better options become available, then fine, but I don't see a better option on the market- based on potential performance and affordability -than Giolito and I'm sure he's available now.

Bieber may be better (likely but not 100% sure) but also much more expensive.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

France finishes with 4 ER in 6 IP. 10 baserunners (7 hits, 3 BB) and 8 Ks.

Not terrible but not winning numbers.

The problem is that's about the best anyone can reasonably expect and he is the 4th best starter, not 5th.

If the playoffs started now, he would need to start a game if the team advanced to the ALDS unless they got swept.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The hell is doesn't, there's a reason 90% of trades don't go down until the deadline.

You can keep an asking price very high without a deadline and few willing sellers.

Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

If Philly falls out of the race, add Zack Wheeler to the list of potential targets.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I understand that is the common train of thought.

I just think with more teams actively looking it evens out.

Supply-demand

In July, there will be more pitchers available but also more teams looking.

There are only a very few playoff calibur starters and they won't be affordable then, and aren't affordable now.

It's obvious now the Astros should be in the playoffs and the #4 starter is not on the roster.

Rip off the bandaid and hope GM's aren't ready to commit to adding - or are trying to wait for more supply. Get your guy while other teams are sitting on their hands

14. Buck Turgidson

You do love to play internet GM, don't you?

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Fortunately they do not.

16. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Was really really hoping Whitley would produce this first half. Just so someone would bite on his potential and we could package a trade around him and some mid prospects to save the young potential we have on the farm.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I understand that is the common train of thought.

I just think with more teams actively looking it evens out.

Supply-demand

In July, there will be more pitchers available but also more teams looking.

There are only a very few playoff calibur starters and they won't be affordable then, and aren't affordable now.

It's obvious now the Astros should be in the playoffs and the #4 starter is not on the roster.

Rip off the bandaid and hope GM's aren't ready to commit to adding - or are trying to wait for more supply. Get your guy while other teams are sitting on their hands
    Sure. It is enjoyable and isn't it one of the reasons these sites exist?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Of course, I've played the simulator seasons and all that, it's fun fantasy land, and that's all.

19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

At the deadline we will have MLB players to trade. Keeping our young potential safely on the farm.
    Urquidy will be back. France and Bielak will be available unless one of them becomes play off ready.
    Kouba, Gordon or Arrighetti will be called up
    Gilbert will be called up. Meyers or McCormick will be available to trade.
    Julks will be available along with anybody not named Lee on today's AAA roster.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Astros have tried to be aggressive early in the season before on the trade front and teams just are not motivated to sale. A lot of teams like the White Sox haven’t sat down with ownership and tracked a course yet. So the costs are artificially high in general.

I wouldn’t assume the #4 playoff starter isn’t on the 40 man. As far as I know McCullers and Urquidy haven’t been ruled out for the entire season. There is still a chance one or both are available. FWIW I have heard it’s possible Urquidy will be transitioned to the pen down the stretch either way.

The names I have heard are the same everyone else has heard- the White Sox will have at least 3-4 starters available, probably including Cease, the Cubs are expected to have Stroman and others on the market. The Giants and Reds are debating who to have available and I have heard the Blue Jays could even make Gausman available if they are out of it.

The bat is an even easier get. Brown from Oakland, Turner from Boston, Tim Anderson and Gavin Sheets and others.

A lot could change but I expect the Astros to improve at the deadline as long as they stay healthy.