1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wonder the price on Bednar?

2. CinematicFusion

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Just his willingness to come here. I would say any package that has any hope would be paying for the contract in full, Pedro Leon, Justin Dirden, Shay Whitcomb, and a pitcher lottery ticket.

4. CinematicFusion

So if he wants to go to Rangers.. they have more to offer. Hope he has a little loyalty to us.

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I will be so pissed if he lands with the Rangers. It will wreck most of my good vibes for him. He can literally go anywhere else EXCEPT Texas

HTown2017Champs and The Beard like this.
  6. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah would love this. if they can't get JV, him and a value SP would be my next choice to spend assets on. and bellinger, but i'm not sure the cubs are even sellers anymore with their surge.

7. CinematicFusion

That’s why Texas wants him. Piss us off and better their team.
    It will hurt, we need another pitcher for the stretch run. 6 man rotation to test arms for playoff run.
    Verlander, Framber, Brown, Javier, Eurquidy, France would be awesome.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who would benefit from leaking that “Rangers are the front-runners for JV!!!”?

Obviously they’re trying to stir up more conversation from his more likely preferred landing spots (Houston, LA).

9. itzIce

itzIce Member

So, if JV ends up with the Rangers (after giving the farm), they soften the blow and we get Mad Max? lol

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

with a no trade clause, i don't even see why what teams offer besides the one he wants to go to even matters.

itzIce likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

I could definitely see the Mets capitalizing on this Astros/Rangers situation and trading Scherzer to the Rangers and JV to the Astros. Scherzer seems most like a free agent type willing to play anywhere, so that's why I think the Rangers make more sense. JV hates moving (reason he wanted to stay in Detroit despite their rebuilding, and part of the reason he stayed with the Astros so long) and may be more comfortable somewhere he's been.

Astros/Rangers could get into a bidding war so playing them off each other seems like a good move for the Mets to maximize return. Dodgers and others might not be quite as desperate.

12. Major

Major Member

In 2017, JV didn't want to go anywhere. Astros negotiated the best deal and then they and Detroit went to JV to convince him. Probably the same thing here. Mets have some leverage too if they OK with the idea of keeping him and retooling with him for next year - they only need to settle for the best deal. They did win 101 games last year after all and still have a ton of talent to build around, so I don't think they are desperate to sell.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

the scherzer angle makes sense, but how could there be a bidding war for JV if hypothetically he's only willing to go to the astros?

14. Major

Major Member

We don't know if that's the case though. We hope it is and we hope that gives the Astros the edge there, but the Mets don't have to broach the subject with JV until they have a deal, so the Astros can't rely on that. And the Mets could still trade Scherzer to the Rangers and keep JV (or use the Dodgers as a threat, since it's been long rumored that LA was a place he considered after 2017 anyway).

cardpire likes this.
  15. cardpire

cardpire Member

would've assumed the mets know which teams he's willing to go to before wasting their time negotiating with the interested teams, and somewhat vice versa

Major likes this.
  16. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

If players DONT want to come to a championship-winning ball club, knowing how the fans/org/clubhouse embraces them-- that tells you all you need to know about your manager/coaching tree (HERE).

Fuccck the Rangers... those dicckheads aint getting a ring-- not this year, not next.

I would trade a combo of:
    1a. - Maldonado (this is a non-negotiating factor-- he's gotta find his groove elsewhere-- bc it hasn't been for the pitching staff here... I don't know how many posters/users/members from MUTLIPLE platforms, media outlets included, have THROWN STATISTICS in the org's face like its a nut straight-flush, this MF is NOT who you think he is... wake up.... "sucks to try to buy the pot, but it is what it is-- I ain't bluffing off my hand & i've got you dead-top-rights."
    1b. - Abreu (a lot of the aforementioned can be stated again; however, I honestly think his peak as a Houston Astros is still in the distance-- I will give a reluctant pass on a trade-piece for now... and yeah: its a BAD DEAL.)
    2. We'll ship 1-2 of: Pena, Meyers, Julks, McCormick, Tucker*, Dubon -- RIGHT NOW, we all know how their individual situations are playing out... some up, some down-- upside is how/whatever ball club chooses to integrate individuals... (*this is obviously going to make the package significantly smaller-- tread lightly, and come with the gold).
    1-2+ prospects/pitchers*: Hensley, Kessinger, Madris, Bielak, France, Brown, Singleton, Montero, Maton, Stanek, Graveman, Abreu, Neris (*cannot select more than 1 SP / 1 RP, if both SP/RP are taken-- thats all you get)
    ... if you dont take at least one of Maldonado/Abreu (J) off of us, the deal gets slimmer.

STFU and send Scherzer/Verlander over-- no questions asked, nothing to speak of it, no analysis/criticism...
    Give these 2 magicians an opportunity to get "just 1 more" til they ride off into the sunset... this aint gonna happen again-- ever.
    Fck it... matter of fact, I really DGAF, please- just whatever deal is packaged, PLEASE include MM and/or J-Abreu in a package so you can save face that you dont look like complete idiots for the off-season blanks prematurely shot preceding the 2023 season.

EDIT: I could give 2 craps less if they win / are contenders next year... NOW is the time to do something.
    Do it Jim (C)... do it... do it... do it... go all-in now, or don't ever try it again.
    Jimmy Mac... hey, I'll save you money: back these moves w/ investment... charge a few more dollars for your offerings and pitch: we'll push the Stros to "win-it-all" ... seriously, do the rest of the league dirty and put together the most "HOLYFNSHIT, I CANT BELIEVE THEYRE PUTTING EVERYONE ON NOTICE - TEAM"... front up all that extra money to hedge on Ichabods investment moves and leverage yourself to be a stakeholder in this franchise.
    Dont be scurt.

#3236 InTheGroove, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, they don’t have to trade him. But if the Mets get a team to give them something really valuable…. They’ll try to convince him to waive the NTC. And if it comes down to two cities/teams that JV would be willing to go to (Astros/Dodgers), then there is a bidding war…

cardpire likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

I think it could work both ways.

On one hand, if Mets know, they can save a lot of time and effort negotiating a deal that will get killed.

On the other hand, if they think JV might want to be traded to contender and they only go to JV with the best deal on the day of the deadline, they can force him to maybe accept a place he wouldn't otherwise have chosen as his #1.

I think Scherzer yesterday mentioned he hadn't yet talked to the front office about a trade and it was time for a conversation, so in his case, he might not have yet talked about teams he's willing to go to?

cardpire likes this.