1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I said the astros should ask the blue jays about a Chas for Springer deal and I was called the dumbest son of a b**** on the planet here. I was, but not because it was a deal too slanted for the Astros as it turns out.

#2521 Wulaw Horn, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    cbass and Htown Legend like this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Crane gives the front office the green light to do whatever they need to cash in their chips at the deadline. In return, I hope Dana Brown is aggressive. We don't need another Click trade deadline I don't want them to mortgage the franchise by any means but the AL is wide open.

Texas, Toronto, San Francisco, Arizona, and Houston are rumored to be the most aggressive teams right now. I think there is going to be more sellers then expected when Monday comes around, and I hope that lowers the cost.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Just got done with our trade value (2 part) pod. We were in agreement on the top 11 fitting into 3 tiers but we had many different orders to our tiers. Mine (in order)
    Tier 1- no way:
    Yordan
    Framber
    Diaz
    Altuve (sentimental and because I think he’s re-signing)

Tier 2- better be a really big deal:
    Tucker
    Chas
    brown
    Javier
    Gilbert

only for an all star with 1.5 years of control
    Bregman
    Pena.

There’s a big gap to #12 in the organization in my opinion (we both had Clifford which surprised me).

the only reason I had Diaz above Tucker and chas is extra control but more importantly dearth of good catchers and surplus of good OF in the organization.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You saying that the Astros should have traded Chas for Springer? I love Springer but trading for him is a hard pass. He didnt want to be here for various reasons.

The one person i wished Crane would have kept would be Correa out everyone who has left. I'm not sold Pena and I'm not saying it because of his performance this year.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’m not sold completely on Pena but I’d rather have him than Correa

BlindHog, jayfree and raining threes like this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

At the beginning of the year I said maybe they should consider it. Springer was better but Chas was a better value and we had left over money to spend and were short a bat. Everyone said that was nuts and the blue jays would be stupid to do it, even with the money differential. As it turns out Chas is a better value plus just better.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Chas has surprised me. After last season I thought he was a .250 hitter and suited as a 4th outfielder on a winning team. Better than Straw but not a difference maker on offense or defense.

He's turned my thoughts around as a legit player with his clutch hits and diving grabs. He's the type of player we could lock up for 5 years for cheap which makes me feel trading him is not in our best interest.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For the money, yes. But not if money wasn't a consideration. Pena had an unprecedented rookie season, but he's really regressed to be what he was forecasted as. Above average defense and slightly below average offense. Unfortunately his defense regressed this year also. I think he bulked up too much over the off season and he lost some quickness.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

JV was the worst astros starting pitcher in 2022 postseason

10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I haven’t listened yet, but why no bullpen pitchers? Surely Pressley is Tier 1, and the other 3 high-leverage are Tier 2. I know they wouldn’t even discuss trading away a BP pitcher (and no team will bother asking), but they also wouldn’t discuss Altuve (and no team would bother asking).

raining threes likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lance was slightly worse. Still doesn’t fit the narrative that either player is incapable of having post-season success… both have had a lot of success as Astros.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think if the trade market stays the way it looks that Houston will have a relative advantage in that teams not wanting to engage in a true seller’s stance will be looking for the types of players Houston can offer. Trading a good player for a guy like Pena or Meyers or France is a lot easier to sell fans/ownership who still think their team has a chance in the playoffs than trading for prospects who are at least a year away from playing in the majors. The Guardians, Angels, Mariners, Cubs, and Padres might all be in that mode. Here’s a hypothetical:

Astros get:
    SP Logan Gilbert
    OF Teoscar Hernandez
    RP Paul Sewald

Mariners get:
    SS Jeremy Pena
    CF Jake Meyers
    RHP Spencer Arrighetti

Mariners solve their 2B/IF issue with Pena taking over SS allowing Crawford to move to 2B. They get a good long term OF to replace Hernandez/Pollock; they’d probably have the best defensive team in the league after this trade. They also add Houston’s best pitching prospect. Astros add a ToR SP (with long term control) an elite RP (with another year of control), and a solid middle of the order rental bat. I would love this trade for the Astros which probably means it’s nowhere near fair, even though “on paper” it heavily favors the Mariners.

#2532 Snake Diggit, Jul 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    Nook and Htown Legend like this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

Yep.
    JV had two good outings last yr in the postseason. Against the NYY in the ALCS and gm5 in the WS against PHI. LMJ pitched great against SEA in the ALDS.

14. the shark

the shark Member

Why would SEA trade one of their best pitchers (Gilbert) to solve their 2B issue?

15. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I would take that trade right now with the Mariners. But I can’t imagine in any universe where the Astros/Mariners would do a trade with each other this year. Or even Astros/Yankees.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Normally I’d agree; for instance I can’t ever see the Astros and Rangers completing a meaningful trade. But the Mariners GM is crazy and you can’t put anything past him; he’ll do anything that he thinks will improve their team, and given their needs and surpluses I think this trade does that.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Because their lineup is weak/shallow, they don’t have any good prospects on the way in the next 2-3 years to fill the hole, there are no good 2B free agents coming up that will be in their price range, and because they have a “surplus” of starting pitching with Castillo, Kirby, Woo, Miller, Gonzalez, and Hancock in addition to Gilbert.

Nook likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They are in the second pod. Think of it this way - Presley is making 14 million. Who would want him before they would ask for Peña or Gilbert or someone like that. I have them in a tier that’s titled “worth more to me than you”.

19. the shark

the shark Member

I'd take Gilbert in a second.

What do you think it would take to get Bednar?

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Very unlikely unless they have quietly given up on this season with their current lineup. It's a pretty fair trade, but kind of risky on our end since we would need Dubon to keep producing like he has and Altuve to be healthy. We really have nothing in our farm that could back those guys up.

AkeemTheDreem86 and AznH-TownFan like this.