1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

If Montero is moved Maton and Neris are here. Neris is here next year any way.
    I thought he kicked that in and He said he loves it here and wants to stay?

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

There are exactly three guys on that list who I would consider aces, being JV, Max, and Cease. Two of those guys have done it in the playoffs. If the Astros are going after JV or Max then they are over the target. What would be wild is if anyone lands BOTH Max and JV in a mega deal.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The only reason it gets done today, or tomorrow before game time, is because JV is pitching tomorrow. Theoretically you trade for JV today and he pitches against Texas tomorrow night.

vince and Shark44 like this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So we would get Verlander for less than we were going to pay him during free agency? That's assuming the mets are paying a significant part of his salary. Damn, Crane would be the man . Can we be greedy and ask for Schertzer also?

raining threes likes this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

He's just a dude and not an insider or anything.
    Dude likes to run his mouth and say vulgar stuff all the time.

6. raining threes

This is why Crane is the best owner in Houston sports history. It's also why he's a billionaire.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

[​IMG]

raining threes and Radricky like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Potentially yes on salary, but you'd also have to send some prospects.

That said, JV should be #1 on the Astros' list. We and he know that the Astros know how to get the best out of him, that he's comfortable here, etc.

Looking at last year's trade deadline, virtually every big name traded sucked for their new teams. There's an unpredictable element to trading for players who go to new places. JV is one of the few that you eliminate that issue.

vince and Nook like this.
  9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trading for Verlander with the Mets eating part of his contract would be a buy low, sell high, re-buy low scenario. Another possible strong move by Crane and the front office under his ownership.

JV would eat innings which is desperately needed but keep in mind historically he's less than stellar in the playoffs and World Series.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

He finally got that WS win at least. I’ve made no secret on here that JV is by far the one guy I want them to trade for. You’re right, he will eat innings, and that is the biggest thing we need right now is an ace who can pitch deep. To me it’s a no-brainer. He eats innings, has more playoff experience than any other available SP, he’s comfortable here, and he has that clubhouse influence that is hard to value.

I said it in the off-season, but it was a huge mistake to let two big clubhouse influences go in JV and Yuli. If you get back JV you fix that part of the problem, and instantly galvanize the clubhouse.

11. raining threes

This is why I would rather get Scherzer. Plus Scherzer has another year of control.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Verlander, Bednar, and Bellinger would be the best realistic deadline I could possibly imagine.

vince, Nook, prospecthugger and 9 others like this.
  13. cardpire

cardpire Member

sadly there's even worse than him as a prominent voice of houston sports twitter. that said, i hope he's right lol

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

One more year of control... or one more year of being stuck with a player...?

15. raining threes

I would be very happy with this.

mikol13 likes this.
  16. raining threes

You think Scherzer is going to fall off of a cliff next year? I know he's been hurt this year, but he appears to be rounding into shape.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm not sold on Scherzer for the playoffs over JV. Even in the world series year Scherzer has been injury prone late in the season with a dead arm. I'd rather not have a big time money pitcher where we have to use him sparingly (5 innings or so).

Scherzer's 3 of his last 4 starts in the post season (since 2021) he's averaged only 4.2 innings with his last 2 starts giving up 9 runs total. Not saying he's a bust, but there's definite longevity issues with him sometimes.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tired of this narrative, especially as an Astro. He was dominant last year game 1 ALCS… got BABIP’d after being dominant in game 1 WS, and held his own in game 5 WS.

The 2019 playoffs was certainly a mixed bag stemming from him making every start that year during the Cy Young campaign and he wore down some, but was still turning in quality starts in the DS and LCS (and no doubt the total workload contributed to him needing TJ surgery after the first game the following year).

He was fine in the 2018 playoffs… only 3 starts.

He was dominant in the 2017 playoffs and was the best Astros starting pitcher for that WS.

You’re not going to find a lot of regular dominance or consistency from any elite starting pitcher in the playoffs these days. Framber last year was about as good as it gets.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- scherzer is far from some sort of guaranteed bet in the playoffs.
    If I was going to rank dudes I trusted in the playoffs it might be Strider first and Framber second.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- scherzer is far from some sort of guaranteed bet in the playoffs.
    If I was going to rank dudes I trusted in the playoffs it might be Strider first and Framber second.