1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard anything about the Astros and Mets agreeing to a trade for Verlander.

Anything is possible, but I would be surprised it would happen on 7/24.

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Bonda gets alot of hate. Just fyi.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  3. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

You dream so much I'm surprised you're awake enough to actually post your dreams

4. HTown2017Champs

Not sure how much credibility his source has, but you’re one to talk about “getting a lot of hate.”

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

lol. Every hour on the hour he’ll post another garbage trade proposal

6. SuraGotMadHops

I like Bonda a lot, but objectively speaking he can be a bit of a blowhard. He may well right but he's already putting out parachutes in case he's wrong.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The Pirates are willing to move David Bednard.

The cost will be high, but he is probably one of the few players the Astros should look hard at and consider that he may be worth the cost.

The Astros have traded for and locked up a few players over the last handful of years - Verlander, Pressly and Maldonado have overall met or exceeded the Astros expectations. The lone exception being Montero.

Dana Brown in the past has talked about there being times where a team can be wise to extend their prospects and money for a particular player if they are special enough to deserve it. The Braves did it with Olson when they lost Freeman, and they also did it with Murphy. The other player they did that with was Raisel Iglesias, who hasn't had a great year but filled their need for a closer.

David Bednard is that type of player. He is one of the absolute best closers and is under team control at a reasonable salary the next 3.5 years. He would be a massive boon to the Astros bullpen this season, and in the future he can take over as the Astros closer. He also is insurance in case the Astros decide they don't want to pay Hector Neris 3/45 million as has been tossed around as a viable number.

Sometimes when you get a really good player, at an important position, and at a controllable cost for years - you have to pull the trigger.

No one told me the Astros are interested - but I would imagine the Astros are talking to the Pirates to see if a deal is even feasible.

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Why would Verlander come back to Houston when he could easily have an extra month's rest in the off season by staying in NY. New York in October is not a bad place to be.

9. the shark

the shark Member

Curious what type of package it would take to get him? He'd be a HUGE get and I'm all about strengthening the pen (not just for this yr especially losing Neris-Maton-Stanek after this yr).

IowaAstro and mikol13 like this.
  10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I dont talk back I'm just above it. He causes alot of his hate with his banter. You gotta know when to say I'm more grown then you. Rather then talk back and make yourself look like the kid. Just FYI. Fellas.
    This is a message board for Astro fans. Not a bulky site because you disagree with someone. Who cares what is said. It's simple. I agree or I disagree. You don't have to try and make fun of someone calling them names or trying to antagonist to get a response. It's called being an adult.
    Some of whom just don't know what that is yet. And truly show who you are as a person. Be kind rewind

11. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Would love to add a guy like this, especially with a few possible bullpen departures going into next year.

Plus, apparently he bats lefty, so Dusty gets a reliable bullpen piece and his lefty bat in one trade. Just nobody tell Dusty this lefty bat is a pitcher... ;)

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

One of the reasons why I mentioned him. He could essentially take Pressleys spot down the road if not wright now.
    I still think they look at a Bat aswell.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

If Montero is moved Maton and Neris are here. Neris is here next year any way.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Neris is gone next year most likely - he has an opt out.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Neris has a clause in his contract that if he met a certain # of appearances he'd be able to opt out and be a FA (which he has).

16. Nook

Nook Member

There could be a number of relief pitchers on the market.

Scott Barlow
    David Robertson

Brooks Raley
    Joe Kelly
    Rodrigo Lopez
    Kenyon Middleton
    Brad Hand
    Jose Cisneros
    Jordan Hicks
    Josh Hader
    Hunter Harvey

Kyle Finnigan
    Mark Leiter Jr.
    Carl Edwards Jr.
    Adam Ottavino
    Brent Sutter
    Chris Stratton
    Kendall Graveman
    Aaron Bummer
    Carlos Hernandez
    Daniel Bard
    David Bedard

I highlighted the ones I am fairly certain would play a large role in the playoffs if the Astros trade for them. There are other ones like Kelly, Middleton and Edwards that have the arms to be in the pen pecking order if they are playing well.

Some of these names would just provide quality innings for the Astros in the regular season, but wouldn't likely pitch in close games in the playoffs.

It is a fairly deep list - and there are a few that may not end up being traded, like Bedard and Hader - but most are very available.

17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one calls you names on here, but you do not have a filter when it comes to posting the same topic 10 times throughout one page. You junk up the thread with the same posts over and over with absurd trades. For an example, you wouldn't stop posting about Bobby Witt Jr. for several pages until others called it out. Dadakota used to post nonstop, and he was roasted for that.

It takes away from keeping up news or information that others posts. I'm not hating on you by any means, but I would hope you would understand if posters got a little annoyed with you.

#2477 CheezeyBoy22, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Snake Diggit and The Beard like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The starting pitchers available fluctuate. A lot of the quality depends on if the Sox move Cease and what the Mets do.

The list includes:

Giolito
    Montgomery

Flaherty
    Stroman
    Bieber *

Lorenzo
    E. Rodriguez *
    Lynn
    Çivale
    Hendricks
    Verlander
    Scherzer
    Cease

Verlander and Scherzer have a no trade clause.

Eduardo Rodriguez and Stroman have contracts that will hurt their value. Stroman has a player option next year, which he would only pick up if he is hurt. Rodriguez has an opt out at the end of the season, but his contract is worse than being a free agent, because if he gets hurt he can lock his new team into 3 more years of money for an injured player.

It will be interesting to see what the Cubs end up getting for Stroman.

The really interesting one is Rodriguez, who likely will scare away budget concerned teams.

Jordan Montgomery isn't really a #2-3 starter, but in a pitching deprived situation, he may make a number of post seasons starts.

Hendricks always has success, but a lot of teams like the Astros will likely be scared away with his lack of stuff - deep in the playoffs, against better line ups - it matters.

Beiber is hurt.

19. raining threes

Off of that list give me Bedard. Also adding Hicks or Hader would be optimal.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  20. raining threes

Going big game hunting with Scherzer or Cease

Can you add bats.