1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Verlander is a weird guy.

No, I haven't heard of Verlander leaving on bad terms at all. He has spoken highly of Jim Crane - and he is Jim Crane's favorite player in his time as an owner.

However, Verlander like Crane is all business. I think where his wife wants to go will play a big part in it - and so will be the best chance to win.

I think he would waive his no trade clause, but it is possible that his top choice would be another team - Verlander isn't the sentimental sort.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah- I wasn't counting on sentimentality, just wondering if we would be a team that he gives a thumbs up to. i'd think he would but who knows...

raining threes and Nook like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I believe Houston and NY to be the only AL teams Verlander would agree to go to. I imagine he’d also accept a trade to the Dodgers, Braves, Phillies, or Giants. Maybe Toronto. Hard for me to see him agreeing to go to Cincy, Tampa, or Dallas.

raining threes likes this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

Maybe because they're only 5.5 gms back of the 3rd WC. Maybe they think they can go on a run.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Cubs didn't trade their guys because they thought that they would work out a deal with the Astros - and there was a lot of sketchy dealings going on with that one - and ultimately Crane killed what he viewed as an over pay for players on the Cubs.

Why would the Padres not sell? They believe that their run differential and talent is such that they could get super hot down the stretch. I can understand that, but they also have long term payroll issues to consider.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Toronto and San Francisco and Dallas will likely be very aggressive.

What complicates this for Verlander is that he isn't a free agent at the end of the year. Wherever he agrees to go will likely be where he lives the next 30 months. He is basically 40 years old and 30 months doesn't seem long - but his wife is a decade younger than him and has a little one starting school soon - so where he agrees to go (if anywhere) will likely be more of a process than it was when he was traded to Houston (remember the Cubs were his first choice).

7. vince

vince Member

I think the Padres are in denial, after whooping on the Dodgers in last year’s playoff’s, I think they thought they were going to be a top 3 team in the National League.

So, I think the management thinks that if they get the ship right, they are going to be really good to make up a lot of ground fast!

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Those were my considerations (along with ability to win) when I put together that list. You gotta figure she can stay in NY if he goes to the Yankees, Phillies, or Blue Jays. I also assume they had plans in place for their living situation had he gone to LA/SF or stayed in Houston (since those were the other teams heavily pursuing him last offseason) so they’d be comfortable going to either of those places.

#2448 Snake Diggit, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    raining threes and Nook like this.
  9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Snell and Hader old be my targets with both resigned asap and Hader takes Pressleys job in 2024

You might offer Blanco, Bielak, Gordon and Meyers for those two and still have the guys to make other trades. We need a vet bat off the bench and a OFer with Brantley up in the air

Nook likes this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Doesn’t matter if it is a right handed bat or left-handed bat, just need someone who hits RHP well

Although the more I think about it, it probably does have to be someone left-handed for Dusty to use them against RHP

SooneRockStro likes this.
  11. The Beard

There are actually rumors India has been shopped, but ONLY for controllable quality SP, so we definitely aren’t a match if they did move him

12. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if the Astros even want Jonathan India - but the Astros have the pieces to make that type of deal happen.

It is very possible that the Astros move out a younger pitcher under team control in one deal and then in a separate deal add another veteran starter.

I know the Astros need starting pitching - but I would not assume there is no way the Astros move a younger starter.

13. The Beard

Agree and that makes sense

But not for a 2B was more the point I was trying to get at

BigMaloe, raining threes and Nook like this.
  14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

My dream scenario would be
    Hader, Snell and Cosgrove
    For
    Blanco, Meyers, Hensley, Whitley, Leon and Shawn Dubin

Doesn't hurt us to bad in a trade but still let's us move forward on another.

Stroman, Madrigal and Bellinger
    For
    Julks, Kessinger, Melton, Barber and Hernandez.

And last
    Montero, Stanek, Lee, Gordon and Gilbert
    For
    Debner and H. Davis.

It's a dream but one could hope

15. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

WOW.

vince likes this.
  16. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Bro, just quit internetting.
    BEDNAR and 2021 #1 overall pick Henry Davis...

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LoL I am seriously worried that dude had a stroke before logging on.

raining threes and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought last year was bad...

raining threes and Bregatron like this.
  19. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

20. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Bonda on Twitter just said an insider told him the Astros have agreed to a deal to acquire Verlander. No trade details known as of yet.

He said this insider was the same guy that told him about the Vazquez trade last year with Boston. @Nook thoughts??