1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

That’s not how it works anymore. The GM used to be the direct boss of the field manager, now they are pretty much on a level playing field just with vastly different roles

The only one who could make a change of managers is Jim

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Depends on the situation. Luhnow got Bo Porter fired, and almost certainly could have gotten Hinch fired if he wanted to. Click on the other hand was saddled with a manager he never wanted and consistently butted heads with, and ultimately lost to which I'm sure has Dusty feeling bulletproof.

I hope soon Brown has the kind of pull that Luhnow did and we can run a proper top down organization. Dusty is 2 for 2 when it comes to having issues with the GM, that didn't happen with Hinch.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  4. The Beard

Maybe i'm wrong

But after the "scandal" I don't think Crane will ever give another GM absolute authority over hiring and firing of the field manager. Certainly if him and Brown eventually develop a relationship of complete trust that will go a long way, but i'd be real surprised if Crane ever gives up that control again

5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

So you are saying that on a day to day basis managers are autonomous and unsupervised?

6. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to throw my .02 in here.
    This team is missing a galvanizing reason to win.
    Last year it was all about proving that despite the "cheating" in 2017, this team was one of the best over a sustained period of time.
    This team just looks like it woke up from an all nighter drinking Boone's Farm and snorting lines.
    No one except Dubon looks hungry. Pena with the heart hands, Abreu with that shite on his face. Tucker looks genuinely disinterested, and it shows. I'm actually most pissed at him. These guys seem to be OK with loosing.

I know we are dealing with injuries, but I posted 1 week into the season, do not count on Brantley or Lance. Both are damaged goods and Uncle Mike is approaching age where we can call him grandpa Mike. If Mike can't play at least get him to rattle some cages in the clubhouse.
    This team needs a sage smudging to get the bad mojo out of the locker room.

I'm truly trying to stay optimistic, but each day I see myself reading more on the minor league thread or switching over to the Texans to see what forum fight got sparked over CJ Stroud today.

Rant over.

everyday eddie, 13 in 33 and BlindHog like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The guys want to win. Dusty on the other hand doesn't give a **** about winning any individual game.

8. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Deep down I know they want to win, but dang. At least complain about a crappy strike call.
    dusty on the other hand, I have no words.
    I get he was in the driver's seat last year when we won it all, but man these throw away line ups. SMH.
    Show your team some fire, get kicked out of a game. Stop being everyone's friend.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Be more like Aaron Boone!!! Loud noises!!!

J.R. likes this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

What you are describing is the job description of a manager. He has to set the example in every thing he does because the behavior of the team is a direct reflection of his behaviors. When 1 or 2 players are a problem they are the problem. When all but 1 or 2 players are a problem, the manager is the problem. Every damn time.

11. The Beard

Maybe not everywhere, but Dusty is when it comes to lineups and in game decisions

And the bigger issue I was responding to was saying Brown should dictate and if Dusty didn’t follow what he says then Brown should cut him loose

Brown doesn’t have that power

12. The Beard

Throw Garcia, Urquidy and last year’s JV in the rotation and our record would look much more like “they care”

We had not just the best rotation in baseball, one of the best ever

Now we don’t

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Astros have now officially lost the season tie-break to both the Twins and Blue-Jays…2 teams likely to be in the Wild Card race. And we know Wild Card races are will most likely be determined by a game or 2 in the end.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But he may (and probably is not) responsible for the manager.

He inherited the manager that just won the World Series for an owner who desperately wanted one.

Brown may be responsible for Dusty's replacement, but I would not bet on him having any authority over Dusty.

I bet he and Crane have talked and have some kind of agreement regarding that. I'm sure it was decided before Dana took the job.

Wulaw Horn and prospecthugger like this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Puke

16. ASTR0nomical

ASTR0nomical Member

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

DH Altuve
    SS Pena
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    C Diaz
    CF Meyers
    LF Chaz
    2B Dubon

That is a 9 man lineup with 8 guys who have an above average OPS, and another guy in Abreu who I think is gonna be at least league average level the rest of the way. It also includes multiple guys who are well above average defensively.

Of course Dusty won't play such a competently designed lineup, but even with Yordan out this team should be able to hit if it were played in a correct manner.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It really isn’t as hard as Dusty makes it look to put your best lineup on the field more often than 10% of the time.

SWTsig and sealclubber1016 like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I never realized before, but the Astros current 26 man, active roster has 4 players who were drafted in the 20th rd or later.

Maldonado 2004 27th rd by Angels
    Dubon 2013 26th rd by Red Sox
    Maton 2015 20th rd by Padres
    McCormick 2017 21st rd by Astros.

Bonus: Hensley 2018 26th rd by Astros.

I just find that interesting, especially considering there are only 20 rds now.

HeyBudLetsParty and IBTL like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member

Dang. I didn't know there were still that many rounds. Break it down for me. Are there all star players drafted beyond like round 10?