1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Major

Major Member

The amount of angst about not playing a 0.570 OPS rookie in April and May instead of a 0.600 OPS guy on a team that's on pace for 95 wins despite missing half their rotation is truly fascinating.

Perhaps he doesn't get to catch Framber or Javier because ... they want Maldy.

#1381 Major, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
  2. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

With me, it's two things:

1. If Maldy is the leader that the pitchers believe in, then it would be great to have him healthy and rested in the playoffs. Considering that Maldy played injured the second half last year, I just think it would be good to give some more time to Diaz just to keep Maldy a little more rested (and maybe a little more healthy) throughout the rest of the year, especially in the playoffs.

2. There is always the potential of this being the last year for Maldy. As Nook has mentioned, Maldy seemed like he possibly could have retired last off-season and had to be talked into coming back this year by the Astros. Diaz could be the person taking his spot, and it would be good to give him a few more opportunities to see if he can handle the pitching staff, considering that it more than likely will be the same next year. I know it's been mentioned that maybe Diaz doesn't prep the way the Astros want, but with a possible vacancy at the catching position next year, we could be seeing if he can perform well enough to take over the job, or if it needs to be re-evaluated during free agency (or take a closer look at Lee).

travfrancis and Nook like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maldy will likely be a pitching coach or manager in the future (if he wants to). Still remains to be seen if Diaz wants to even be a full time catcher. I’m glad the Astros have his bat for the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Korey Lee is still the catcher of the future.

4. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I agree with that, for the most part. But mainly thinking of why it would be beneficial to play Diaz over Maldy a little more during this year.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It may not be up to anybody but the pitchers… and until they falter, I’m not going to fight that.

All it took was one partial season of Mitch Melusky to realize there’s a helluva lot more to being a catcher than hitting. Astros fans should be very used to this by now.

RKREBORN likes this.
  6. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Not fighting it myself. I believe this is the first time I've entered the Maldy discussion around here. Just was talking about why I would like to see more Diaz a week, even if it was one extra start a week. If the Astros make it to the WS again but don't win, I would ask what happened to Alvarez, Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, Pena, Chas, Meyers, J Abreu, Framber, Javier, Brown, Pressly, Neris, B Abreu, Maton and Montero before I bring up Maldy. ;)

Nick likes this.
  7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pitching was always my concern going into this season. I don't want to sound like a broken record but last year's team was very lucky when it came to health of the pitching staff. I feel too many fans are depending on McCullers being a factor this year. I just don't see it happening. He had a fantastic 2021 season before getting hurt. He will always be a fan favorite but it's about results at the end of the day.

I felt many underestimated the Rangers coming into this season. Nathan Eovaldi was the one guy i wanted Houston to sign even though he's had like 10 TJ surgeries. He has been great for the Rangers. If the Rangers can beef up their bullpen at the trading deadline, the division will be a race to the finish.

As for the Astros and what do for this year, I think a lot is going to depend on how many teams are in the mix for the wild card. There are trade targets that will be available but cost will be high. I would like to see Houston land a pitcher and a bat. It's unfortunate that Brantley isn't healthy and Jose Abreu has fallen off a cliff. I think the team's needs would be looking much different. I was hoping to see a 2019 offense. Maybe the offense will get better but I can't see this team going far without adding depth without adding pitching.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Just make the playoffs. Nobody wants any part of the Astros in the playoffs.

I feel like the layoff waiting for the wild card series to end is a big part of why Altuve couldn't buy a hit in the playoffs.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yuli has an .801 OPS, 3.04 BA

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Word is Bagwell wanted to sign him… was vetoed by the analytics who told him we don’t sign players for nostalgia.

(In case you can’t read sarcasm, its there… but its also the perfect scenario of all those claiming Bagwell was pulling all the strings and was responsible for everything going bad… is in fact ass-backwards if you actually apply true Bagwell logic to a potential signing).

rockbox likes this.
  11. Screaming Fist

Pretty sure the back of Abreu’s baseball card beats the **** out of the back of Yuli’s baseball card.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I’m sure Brown hated dominating the likes of the Rays and Braves lol

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. The Beard

On the last part, that’s certainly possible

But 3/5 of our current rotation has likely thrown to Diaz more than Maldanado when you count starts in the minors

On Diaz and his poor numbers, if we thought that is who he was then we wouldn’t be calling for him. But you have to admit that starting once a week as a prospect trying to break in isn’t exactly ideal.

And, maybe behind the scenes they all want to throw to Maldanado and none of them want to throw to Diaz. History kind of says that isn’t it, cause even last year after the trade pitchers threw just as good or better to Vazquez and yet he rarely played too. Very likely it’s a Dusty Maldanado connection more than anything

One thing is certain though, Dana Brown sides with the want more of Diaz crowd, you can tell from his comments, and there is ZERO reason to have Salazar on the roster other than getting Diaz bat in the lineup. The way Dusty uses Diaz makes that a terrible use of a roster spot

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Analytics would favor Abreu over Yuli. Abreu was great most of last year and Yuli was only good during the playoffs. Also there are no analytics that can be used on a player that is only great during odd number years.

15. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Why would they have traded for Vasquez last year and tried hard to sign a FA catcher this off season if they were so committed to Maldy?

InTheGroove and everyday eddie like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly. Re-signing Yuli is what an inexperienced former player Gm would favor due to loyalty, sentiment, nostalgia, and everything non numbers related.

and yet everybody here ridiculing the Abreu signing as being “all Bagwell” and pining for the guy who would never have been signed (let alone be on the playoff roster last year) if Click or any other numbers savvy GM was in place.

rockbox likes this.
  17. The Beard

Because the GM and Manager were not on the same page. And by all appearances now it looks they the new GM and Manager aren’t either

18. The Beard

Not just that, most that are ripping Bagwell for the Abreu signing, loved the signing when it was made

rockbox likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. Plus Bagwell was never the Gm.

The Beard likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member