1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Screaming Fist

The amount the Astros paid Castro in 2021 and 2022 and the amount they paid Maldy over that timeframe were not substantially different. Does that suggest to you that they signed Castro as a backup? If they wanted simply a backup to Maldy they could have gotten one for much cheaper than that, and this was at a time when money was much tighter than it is now.

Also, can you please explain to me the hidden wisdom of playing your top position prospect and arguably overall top prospect like he’s JJ Matijevic?

13 in 33, Wulaw Horn and IBTL like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Got em! ZAKHEM!!!

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say Maldy and Castro's salaries were both backup level. This was the first year the Astros really had money to go out and get someone, but Crane decided in prioritizing 1B which was a bigger need and Montero. From reports, Contreras was one of 2 main free agent targets for the Astros this offseason, but him getting more than 3 years allegedly killed it for Crane.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pitching has been poor, that is unexpected.

DD

raining threes and IBTL like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The Astros are doing it so it must be right.

6. Screaming Fist

I think Click wanted one of Lee and Diaz to be the "catcher of the future," and Maldy (along with Castro) were meant to act as placeholders until one of them was ready to assume duties as a primary catcher. I'm not sure what Crane's thinking was other than the Astros needed another bat and Contreras was one of the best available with the upside that he could also catch some.

7. Screaming Fist

I think there are a few concerns on that side, but overall I think the lineup is the much bigger concern until Altuve/Brantley are back healthy and producing offense. The lineup is exceptionally thin right now.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

More or less agree that the Astros have been expecting Lee to be either a starter or a backup by now. Dusty went over Click's head to stop the trade for Contreras because Click viewed Contreras as the postseason starting catcher last season if trade was allowed to happen. During the regular season if he was signed this offseason, Contreras may not have started half the games at catcher, but that would only have been to keep him fresh for the postseason.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I get what you're saying but I'm just going to throw out there that whatever they've been doing has been pretty ****ing right for the last...almost decade?

raining threes likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Positive spin post below.

The Astros are 1 fluky pitch away from:
    1. having swept the pirates (who were 6-3 before we came to town)
    2. being on a 4-game winning streak
    3. outscoring their opponents 24-7 in the last 4 games (for a rough average of 6-2 in each game)
    4. having everyone talking about how we've finally turned the corner
    Also:
    1. Julks and Dubon are holding it down while Tuve and Brantley are out
    2. Beside the rays, there's lots of parody in the AL so far - we're only 2 games behind the 2nd best team in the league
    3. Bregman's slump may finally be over
    4. Most importantly, day games are awesome when you work from home!

#130 ima_drummer2k, Apr 12, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  11. Buck Turgidson

You could add that the Rays are 11-0 against the dregs of the AL...so the worm may turn for them at some point

I like the way you think though, I'll be watching you

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes. But that doesn't mean infalliable. I'd also make the argument that the more often a team/person is correct the more often they have a blind spot and can **** the bed in a really obvious way.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Has that happened yet?

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Speaking of Parody, I think our bullpen has been an unfunny parody of last year, but expect it will get much much better- probably quickly.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Well, you had the entire cheating scandal. You had management bring on Osuna and act in a real tone deaf way that pulled the bookshelf down on top of yourself. You had them walk from Springer when the contract was definitely affordable and they haven't been able to replace him the way they wanted in CF and it might have cost them a WS, you had them offer a bad extension to Keuchel they got lucky he didn't take, probably signed LMJ to a bad extension that will never pay out. This organization isn't batting 1000 (no organization can or should) so to blindly suggest that b/c the Astros have said it then it's the right decision is an unhelpful appeal to authority in my opinion (not saying you are doing that obviously but some here do).
    I'm pretty sure I know what this team is and isn't. I've made thousands of dollars betting on them- I bought season tix when I knew they were going to capture the zeitgeist of the town, they got me free furniture in 2014, I think I started the Jeff Luhnow fan club (and probably just spelled his name wrong) I'm well aware of everything they've gotten right, I'm a huge fan and I've put my money where my mouth is for over half a decade (2017 season ticket holder- holla- and I did that when I was broke as a joke and put it on credit cards and charged the money b/c I knew it was going to be the ticket in town and good for business).
    The idea that a 72 year old baseball man has the best overall view of organizational health or is uniquely situated to make that kind of decision is just not accurate. The best GM's in baseball history were a failed attorney, a corporate raider- a 28 year old MIT guy and a failed first round draft pick that internalized why he wasn't a good player and set out to find someone that would do the opposite of the conventional wisdom. Yeah- Dusty Baker telling me what a great game Maldy calls and not being able to point to anything that shows up on the scoreboard tells me less than nothing about that being the right or wrong decision.
    That's probably too many words.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

HOLY WALL OF TEXT, BATMAN!!

The MLA Handbook says you've got to fix that.

rockbox, Bregatron and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who would have guessed that Dubon would be batting .361 and Bregman .196 this season? It's great to see Dubon batting great with Altuve out.

raining threes and rockbox like this.
  19. HeyBudLetsParty

Chas is playing like an all star darkhorse

raining threes and PuzzledFan like this.
  20. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

But which GM gets credit?!?!? Luhnow for the 21st rd draft pick? Or Click for developing him? Or Brown for not tossing him onto Crawford St?

No Worries and Buck Turgidson like this.