1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Screaming Fist

Isn't the idea to condense all of your offensive production as much as possible?

Wulaw Horn and Joe Joe like this.
  2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's a strategy, but the Astros current reign has been more defined by really long lineups pretty much only broken up by Maldy. And Yordan and Tucker broken up 3/5. But as I said you gotta have a lotta good hitters.

If every one comes back and plays up their potential i'd love to see

Tuve
    Pena
    Yordan
    Bregman
    Tucker
    Brantley
    Abreu
    Chas/Meyers
    Maldy.

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I would rather replace Luis than waste time on a catcher. I have not paid much attention to Davis since he left Houston, has he ever played in the infield? I think we already have plenty of aging all bat guys.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not consider Dusty's lineups to match up with current lineup construction ideas. Sure, it doesn't matter too much when nearly everyone, but Maldy can hit.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  5. raining threes

I dont really keep up with the minors much, I just look at the thread on here and the top 30-50 lists, so I dont really have a clue as to the value of these prospects. I do think they will have to add more than just McCormick to any trade they would make for Giolito. I could definitely see one of the minor league OF's also going with McCormick in a trade for Giolito. The OF is the strength of the Stros MiLB system and a weakness of the White Sox system.

6. raining threes

I read an article that said Davis has really improved his defense at 3B. I'm pretty sure he can be as good as Abreu in the field. Davis bat would be a great add, whether at 1B or DH.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

McCormick straight up for Giolito is probably in the ballpark and that is only if the White Sox like him. These trades tend to be overpays even for rentals.

The Astros gave up Emmanuel Valdez and Wilyer Abreu for Christian Vazquez last year. Valdez in 60 ABs for the Red Sox has a .838 OPS. That would be 2nd on the Astros behind only Yordan. Wilyer Abreu is also having a really nice season for the Red Sox AAA team with a .282 AVG, .386 OBP, and .864 OPS. If he was still in the Astros' system and was doing that in Sugar Land he probably would have been called up to replace Julks. Had we not won the World Series you would hear a lot of talk about that being a bad trade.

Christian Vazquez was a 1.6 WAR player for the entire 2022 season. Giolito already has 1.2 WAR this year. It's going to hurt to bring him in.

8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If Altuve is right about Gilbert (I see no reason to doubt him) I would bring him up and trade a choice of Meyers or McCormick along with choice of McCullers, or France and Bielek for a #2 or #3 starter with a few years of control. Throw in Julks or Leon if it takes that much, and smile.
    A play off outfield of Alvarez, Gilbert, & Tucker, with Meyers or McCormick on the bench and Brantley at ist base/DH and Melton or Barber as a pinch hitter/runner makes you 6 deep in the outfield on the play off roster.
    signed
    Alfred P Newman
    "What, Me worry?"

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It’s horrible because you can’t have back to back lefties in the middle of your lineup, even if those lefties are among the best in the league against lefties. Bc it’s too much lefties.

-Johnnie B. Baker Jr.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

Also if he really is insistent on splitting them up with a righty, then just bat Chaz cleanup. He has an 1.112 OPS against lefties this year and a .929 career OPS against lefties.

To be clear, this only makes sense against lefty starters but at least it makes sense and solves part of a problem.

To be even more clear, this is a complete pipe dream and will neva, eva eva eva, eva eva eva, happen.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The only thing my gut tells me is it's time to go to the bathroom.

raining threes and Tomstro like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Even if Dusty and Dubon were traded with McCormick, it is highly doubtful Giolito in 2 months can provide close to the amount of fWAR that McCormick can in 2 years and 2 months. I doubt the CWS would want McCormick with Robert.

I'm not against trading McCormick in the right circumstance, but I'd want more than Giolito or I'd be content to just keep McCormick as I expect the Astros will be good in 2024 and 2025 as well as this year.

Wulaw Horn, Astrofan59 and STR8Thugg like this.
  13. STR8Thugg

I don’t wanna trade him at all. I know he struggles against righties but he’s SO GOOD against lefties that he is a big time asset. He’s a good, solid CF. And he’s cheap. And he’s got experience. No reason to trade him.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just as a caveat, I think a few teams would want McCormick as they value depth over stars and scrubs lineups. That said, I'm not aware of a team that is competitive through 2025, that could use McCormick more than the Astros, and values depth. In other words, I don't think has as much trade value as he should, but I don't see Astros giving him away for a rental this season.

Maybe if the Astros have an actual log jam instead of perceived future one, they would consider cashing in on McCormick for a rental.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. raining threes

This is their window, they need to do whatever within reason to give themselves a chance to win a championship. I love Chaz but he wouldn't be the difference in me trading for Giolito, neither would Meyers who I like a lot too. Now Gilbert would be off limits. I really dont care about 3 yrs down the road. Guys like Gilbert/Diaz/Melton/Barber etc... can replace Chaz/Meyers.

16. raining threes

I get what you're saying, but starting game 3 in a playoff series would you want Giolito with Meyers in CF, with Brown ready to start game 4? Or would you want Meyers in CF with McCormick on the bench and Brown starting game 3, and hope that LMJ was healthy enough to start game 4.

What your post says and I agree with you, is that it might be better to trade Meyers than McCormick.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Actually Chas isn't the worst choice against RH pitchers either considering the other options.

STR8Thugg and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

First off, we have no idea if the White Sox would want Chas for Giolito. As has been mentioned, for a myriad of reasons, there's typically an overpay for playoff-capable talent. Chas being a cheap, but solid OF option is a non-sexy acquisition that also doesn't move the needle for the White Sox. They're not good this year and potentially wouldn't be that much better next year with Chas.

Second, it's not like its all or nothing this year. Most of the core returns next year. A quick glance at Spotrac says only Brantley, Maldy, Stanek and Maton are FA's.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I honestly wish the Astros would demote Diaz and promote somebody else. Let Salazar be the sole backup because this situation is making me irrationally angry watching him collect dust while scrubs like Julks play regularly.

He's caught one game in 15 days, he doesn't even qualify as a backup catcher anymore.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. raining threes

You're right, it's not all or nothing this year, but they need to give them their best chance to win during this window, nothing is promised for tomorrow. Like I said, McCormick wouldn't be a deal breaker for me and I love Chaz.