1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

DAMN YOU GOT THAT ARAB MONEY

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas is "averagely talented"? I'm not sure how well his skills will age, but he's put up average to almost all star production for an everyday player every season he has played despite not playing everyday. An average starter gets about 2 fWAR per 600 PAs. Chas is over 4/600 over 3 seasons.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Talent doesn't always equate to results.

Obviously Chas is a million times more physically gifted and talented than the average guy like me, but within MLB circles he has never been considered a "tools" guy.

He was a 21st rd draft pick, didn't make an MLB roster until his age 26 season, and his own manager won't even make him a regular starter.

He is the poster boy for hard work and effort over talent and there is nothing wrong with that.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hard work is a talent. He's got way too much of a sample to say he has been anything, but above average in talent.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Ok you win

I'm wrong.

Mike Trout wishes he was as physically gifted as Chas McCormick.

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I hope this doesn't just jinx babreu.

Dude should be a closer in the next 2 seasons .

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Y'all sitting here talking about talent and hard work and all I can remember is Corey brewer saying he ran out of talent lol.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Radricky

Radricky Member

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think highly of both of those people so it’s a bit worrisome. Crane continues to deserve the benefit of the doubt until the Astros start to falter.

11. Qan

Qan Member

@Nook you heard anything extra about this? I'm surprise Sara left...wtf is going on?

IBTL and Radricky like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not shocked there's some staff turnover from Click to Dana Brown, that's to be expected. The thing that concerns me, and has concerned me since we went with Dana Brown....who is making the nerd decisions in regards to office talent?

Click and Luhnow both had the credentials to analyze data and make personnel choices based on that. They were the presidents of the on field product and the data branch. Dana Brown is a former player, why should I have any faith that he's going to make good calls in that regard? In fact basically every choice we have made since the scandal, save for hiring (and firing) Click has been firmly away from that towards former players.

Dusty, Bagwell, Crane, Brown, there doesn't seem to be a STEM degree or background in data analysis anywhere near our leadership choices. I hear Crane is a believer in analytics, but the actions have screamed something else.

13. Buck Turgidson

The Godhead Nerd Statboy Jesus, Billy Beane, was a former player.

jim1961 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Not surprised Firkus is gone. He was more of a guy that Crane got along with. It’s interesting that Crane gave Brown the okay to let him go.

Goodrum surprises me.

Not surprised that there are changes - and I know there will be some promotions coming.

I’ll be curious to see what happens.

As for concerns over analytics- Astros have most their analytics department still there and Brown has used analytics in Atlanta and Houston.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When Dana Brown hires his own proven Jonah Hill I will feel a lot better about it.

I'm not even sure how much power Dana Brown has at the moment.

jim1961 and The Beard like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I believe Andrew Ball and Charles Cook have analytics friendly backgrounds. Ball also worked with Rays and Dodgers and is very progressive.

Gelles is still in charge of R&D for the Astros and there are rumors she may be promoted.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Brown has already added two of “his guys”.

18. Buck Turgidson

I'd much prefer the Astros keep being the Astros, where their players look good in jeans and their s!!t works in the playoffs.

These FO moves should probably give you a pretty good idea.

#4238 Buck Turgidson, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Why? He hired luhnow. Awesome. Luhnow built the thing. He’s been decidedly uneven since that happened and e RH day away from luhnows tenure brings seemingly more decay.

The Beard likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Firkus was a Crane guy. Unless he and Crane had a fallout, this was a move Brown wanted to make.

As for Goodrum, I don’t know enough to say for sure and could only speculate.

Brown was hired late - so not surprised that some moves are being made. Making them now also lets these two look for jobs earlier.

ryan_98 and Snake Diggit like this.