1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

France has a very real opportunity to be the next Rollie Fingers

ROCKSS and Stephen66 like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, JP has to be a starting playoff pitcher. The only question is if he pitches 3 or 4.

6. rockbox

This is Altuve 's best season by OPS. The guy ages like fine wine.

No Worries likes this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Looks to me like they plan on rotating Uruqidy, France and Brown out of the rotation here and there for rest instead of going to a full 6 man rotation.

No Worries and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point the best playoff option, depending on how Javier looks the the rest of the season, is likely a tandem of France and Brown. Hunter Brown has been dominant the first 2 times through the order, he has tended to start getting in trouble the 3rd time.

If Javier doesn't start getting some good results, then Brown and France should both start.

9. rockbox

If JP pitches enough innings to qualify, he would be second in the AL in ERA and is 2nd on the team in quality starts at 11. If anything, JP starts and Hunter Brown comes in as relief. JP pretty much guarantees you 6 innings with 2 or less runs.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bye Bye Diaz PAs....

RKREBORN, Stephen66 and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

So we're b!tching about good news now?

AkeemTheDreem86 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Well, you were b****ing when people were being happy that the Astros scored a lot when the Astros played a good lineup....so yes?

RKREBORN and Stephen66 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I was?

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Define "rehab"
    [​IMG]

Stephen66 likes this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If Diaz really loses all of his PA's to Brantley then Brantley coming back isn't good news. Diaz is, in all likelihood, a much better hitter than whatever version of Brantley we get back. Certainly much more dangerous. So, yeah, not good news IF he's right that it goes down like that.
    Great news if Brantley is a left handed pinch hitter to be used in leverage situations where contact matters. That would be a great bullet to have in the chamber.
    Or, a platoon partner with Jake against RHP.
    V RHP
    Altuve/Bregman/Yordan/Tucker/Chas/Diaz/Brantley/Singleton/Pena- that looks pretty sexy
    V LHP
    Altuve/Bregman/Yordan/Tucker/Chas/Diaz/Abreu/Pena/Meyers- that looks pretty sexy too. We won't see that- but we should. IT would be awesome if we did. But we can't.

what we will get:
    Altuve/Brantley/Yordan/Bregman/Tucker/Abreu/Chas/Pena/Maldonado. And that will be basically against LHP or RHP. And that will suck way worse than the other two lineups.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

RIP Chas Playing Time is more likely... Brantley started off at LF in his first rehab start back in April, and it seems that the team doesn't think his current issues are related to fielding.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Brantley was used as a PH in situations in which he was the best PH option, sure it would be fine. My view of Dusty is that he sees Yordan, Tucker, Bregman, Altuve, Pena, Abreu, and Maldonado as starters, and their time would be unchanged. Dubon's time is also unchanged.

My view is that Brantley will likely get playing time if he makes it back over Diaz, Chas, and Meyers. My comment was in jest as I don't want Diaz playing DH much in the first place at this point. With a RHP starting, Diaz at C and Brantley at DH makes sense to me. I don't expect that to happen. I expect to be very conflicted if Brantley comes back. I will be very happy Brantley is back. I will also expect that I will likely be incredibly frustrated going forward that either he or Diaz will be on the bench, while Dusty simultaneously weakens the OF defense.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The only thing bad about Brantley coming back is Dusty.

If Dusty will start Diaz at C 2-3 games per week and allows him to play 1B then it's fine. He can start 50% at C and once per week at 1B and once at DH. He starts 4-5 games per week.

Chas starts everyday in LF or CF.

Yordan and Brantley alternate LF/DH vs RHSP

Yordan DH vs LHSP w/ Meyers in CF.

Brantley replaces Hensley on roster.
    Abreu replaces Singleton if/when he comes back.

Hemingway and Joe Joe like this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This would work. Enter if it was just Diaz everyday at catcher but this would be almost acceptable.