1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Seriously? You are using a weekly award from a 3 game week to make that argument?

2. AkeemTheDreem86

There's plenty of readily available data to make that argument, I was more mocking the petulance of those making the opposite argument.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  3. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

Chas named player of the week!

zeeshan2 likes this.
  4. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

watching Dodgers suck off Marisnick is gold.

Jose Cuervo and Rock Block like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

He looked mortal when they traded for him the first time too. In fact, his current numbers with the Mets are nearly identical to his 2017 with the Tigers when he got traded.

Maybe he just needs Maldy to catch him...

joshuaao and toby like this.
  6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Sit Chas and Doobie takes CF when he pitches, got it :rolleyes:

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

All of a sudden in the LA clubhouse it’s not about who was taking part in the scheme it’s “who was running it, ****ing hilarious double standard from that team and their ass kissing media.

Jose Cuervo and Stephen66 like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m getting comfortable with the idea of Kessinger as a long term bench piece. He has put up triple digit exit velos and despite the goof on that throw the other night he is a solid defensive player.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Ehehehegehehegeehehehehehegegehehehe

10. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

The damn Rangers came back and won again.

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

Stupid ****ing rangers

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

He had been having a great season in SL before being called up. I hadn't looked up his numbers and you're right he has performed extremely well so far. I think at the least he has leapfrogged Hensley on the utility depth chart.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Dropped the pod last night- we did a rant about Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers in general, checked in on our over under predictions from a couple months ago and tackled some new over unders. Check it out- Houston’s new favorite niche Astros podcast measured now in hundreds of listeners instead of merely tens or dozens of listeners! As always, thanks to all who listen.

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2BsD1KSXiZrsRJ9kfyyAPX?si=pd0Kemk2QIq1d4FpbrCOrA

apple:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...n-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000621469093

Amazon:

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...r-round-2?ref=dm_sh_hVBFb7gS4kOPBSWjq07gwyDJF

IdStrosfan and Stephen66 like this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Dropped the pod last night- we did a rant about Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers in general, checked in on our over under predictions from a couple months ago and tackled some new over unders. Check it out- Houston’s new favorite niche Astros podcast measured now in hundreds of listeners instead of merely tens or dozens of listeners! As always, thanks to all who listen.

Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/2BsD1KSXiZrsRJ9kfyyAPX?si=7ovfyLnyQPqA49M7LdrubQ

apple:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...n-astros-podcast/id1683955456?i=1000621469093

Amazon:
    https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/8...r-round-2?ref=dm_sh_hVBFb7gS4kOPBSWjq07gwyDJF

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I checked out a couple last week when there was no baseball ( I haven't watched or cared about any all star festivities in several years).

I enjoyed it and will keep listening.

I listen to Locked on, and it's like a guilty pleasure. Eric is a mess- ad libs, makes weird jokes and comments, and is never prepared with the stats or material that he brings up causing dead air. Brett is better. It's fun in a very amateur way, just a couple of fans who make it obvious they are fans and not professionals.

Yours is much more polished and feels to have an actual prethought out blue print, still a little ad lib comment off the subject here or there, but that's what makes it personable and relatable. Feels a little too much of: give subject- give stat- repeat for much of it but still very enjoyable and informative. I will continue listening.

cmlmel77 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Thanks man. Appreciate the listen and the feedback. We are not polished professionals for sure (funny that you said that but thanks) but we do try to have a plan, offer some takes, back it up with information and make it fun.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Hete are my thoughts on The position players part of an active roster.

13 players (can technically be more, but that hurts pitching)

Mix of table setters and run producers, speed and power.

Corner positions are strong offensively and good defense is a bonus.

Up the middle positions are strong defensively and good offense is a bonus.

Be able to have a starting 9 and lineup that gives a good chance to win on any given day vs whatever matchup and environment there is.

Have a versatile bench that can replace any player, any position, and be used if needed for strategic and situational moves during games.

The more versatile, and we'll rounded a player is the better. If a player can start games in all environments, and matchups then it requires less versatility on the bench and fewer in game decisions and moves from the manager.

As I have time I will expound on the current roster and how it relates to each point.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Brett is better but still cringe

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I didn't mean to imply you were polished and professional, in general. Just in comparison LOL.

Good job and thanks for giving me more Astros content to listen to while I deliver pizza and food LOL.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I should have expounded more on Brett. Not doing so made it sound like I thought he is great.

I would give Eric a "D". He clearly loves the Astros and his enthusiasm shows, so it's impossible to get an "F" but as I said, " he's a mess"

I would give Brett a "C+". He is better and side by side ( theoretically) thats obvious and probably makes him sound better. He does occassionally say something flat out wrong, like where a player played before or who did what. He does sound more prepared with information when he brings something up though. He also talks more about his Astro experiences and how that relates to the pod and his fandom which I like.

I enjoy it, but cringe everytime Eric brings up a stat or fact and then is silent for 30 seconds trying to find the source he wants to quote, Brett brings up some Astro history and gets some facts wrong, or either of them suddenly blurt out a comment from a listener and go off on a tangent

Wulaw Horn and Tomstro like this.