1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Major

Major Member

It's not really a media rights litigation so much as a fraud litigation. Due diligence is a key concept in any business transaction. But at the time the network formed, we had discussions here about how this thing was going to fail (alongside similar discussions about Longhorn Network for similar reasons). If it was questionable enough that we, as truly uneducated people, could see major problems, I would think serious due diligence would uncover a lot of that. So that's where that part of my comment comes from.

That said, the real question here will be whether McLane materially misrepresented facts to Crane. It's possible that he did and I shouldn't have been so dismissive about that part because that is not something that would be uncovered by due diligence. But it's also hard for me to believe that McLane would outright misrepresent anything in a massive sale process, especially if Crane's people were asking the right questions. His lawyers, if they were doing their job, should have made sure of that because it opens him to a host of legal troubles.

This case, from what I know of it, reminds me of Musk trying to get out of his Twitter purchase by claiming Twitter lied about things when he really just didn't do his due diligence because he got sucked into the idea of buying Twitter. Crane really, really wanted the Astros at the time (its why he also agreed to the AL move) and it wouldn't shock me if he missed things in his haste to purchase the team and prevent other bidders from coming in.

Agreed, but it's been 10 years. And we haven't even initiated the base trial yet, let alone all the appeals that could come with that. 15 years in litigation between old people means that there's a chance some of the people are dead by the time there's any resolution. Now, a part of the delay was due the bankruptcy issue, but still, nothing in this process required 10 years to resolve - it's just a really slow legal system. Doesn't matter in the case of rich people suing other rich people, but when it's a poor person vs a rich person, this is life-altering for poor party. My comment was just about the silliness of ANY case taking this long to wind its way through our legal system.

#2401 Major, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    SWTsig likes this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He needs to walk more if he’s going to be great as a hitter. It will be interesting to see if that comes.

astros123 likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He needs to walk more if he’s going to be great as a hitter. It will be interesting to see if that comes.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Our farm is so underrated that even Astros fans didn't think much of JP France when he came up.

5. raining threes

Just gotta deal with Maldy and probably Dusty for one more year.

IBTL likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

FWIW, I can't imagine either is here next year. If Dusty wins a WS, he'll likely retire. If he doesn't, the Astros will likely make a change. And Maldy is just getting old and probably close to retiring himself.

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

I'm not a total numbers guy, sometimes numbers lie. Unfortunately Maldy's numbers dont lie. Only reason Maldy's playing as much as he is, is because of how respected he is in the clubhouse.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. raining threes

This has been the case for awhile now.

Yet, I forget that how many yrs the Stros have had a top 5 ROY candidate. This yr they've got Brown and Diaz, next yr Gilbert and Arrighetti are on the way. Hopefully these guys aren't traded. Although one of the only guys I would trade Gilbert for would be Robert and I dont see the White Sox trading Robert.

Historically great job by Luhnow and a great job by Click of trading for Maton/Diaz and drafting Gilbert. How many WS contenders would trade their starting CF for a middle reliever and a prospect in AA in the middle of the season. Hopefully Brown can keep up the great work. He certainly has an awesome track record.

ryan_98 likes this.
  9. raining threes

With the inconsistent playing time and being a young hitter this is to be expected. Look how Altuve has grown being a more selective hitter. As they say, you cant walk off of the island, so plate discipline takes time with these young guys.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Neither has a contract for next year.

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Thank Christ.

12. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only once (2018) in the past decade has this team not had a top 5 ROY finisher. That's pretty impressive and a big reason for this current dynasty.

2022 Jeremy Peña 5th
    2021 Luis Garcia 2nd
    2020 Cristian Javier 3rd
    2019 Yordan Alvarez 1st
    2018 none in the top 5
    2017 Yuli Gurriel 4th
    2016 Chris Devenski 4th
    2015 Carlos Correa 1st
    2014 George Springer 8th, Collin McHugh 4th, José Abreu 1st

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Gotta give them kudos. The haters were wrong

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s freaking wonderful. I wish they would have gone further with the shift and banned the entire wedge behind 2B, like they did in the minors, but whatever.
    when we go to automatic balls and strikes it will also be glorious and the people arguing g against it will be just as wrong as they are with this change. baseball will be just about perfect then.

15. Buck Turgidson

I'm sorry that it's only 7:45 PM

Good luck with the rest of your evening

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. Buck Turgidson

fugazi repeater

18. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

https://tenor.com/6caP.gif

19. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I suspect that, like his defensive skills, is slipping away.

20. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

Yordan got hurt on 6/8 and was leading the team in homers and RBIs

it’s now 7/2 and Yordan still leads the team in homers and RBIs

bregman closing the RBI gap, really thought tucker would step up more