1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Good point

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

with more at bats he will start to walk more. He needs to get comfy as an everyday player. Also, he is probably trying too hard to make a big impact with his bat. Probably doesn’t feel like walking a few more times will earn him a regular spot in the lineup. Plus the more success he has, the more pitchers will start to nibble. Even though he is a free swinger, he will probably walk more then.

13 in 33 and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

At first I thought this was about Julks, lol.

Tomstro likes this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

with more at bats he will start to walk more. He needs to get comfy as an everyday player. Also, he is probably trying too hard to make a big impact with his bat. Probably doesn’t feel like walking a few more times will earn him a regular spot in the lineup. Plus the more success he has, the more pitchers will start to nibble. Even though he is a free swinger, he will probably walk more then.
    Yep. I never mentioned his name in that entire post. My bad lol

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Oh I’m not saying he can’t walk more. I’m just saying I need to see it first because there is no path forward to be truly elite with the bat with a 1.5% BB rate. I want to see 8. Would love to see 10 or 12

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Pitchers are going to start pitching around him. Especially towards the bottom of the lineup.

He needs to respond and not swing at slop

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Agreed. Until he responds I am holding off on saying he’s the truly elite bat I hope he is, as opposed to merely above average. I think he will make it happen.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This place gonna go nuts when the lineup comes out tonight and Diaz is on the bench cause Dusty doesn't want to risk losing the DH if Maldy gets hurt lol

9. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. That’s why I said he’s fine for a DH/1B, not great. He’s .050 ops ahead. I bet he’s likes something liken.150 ahead of the average catcher.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m willing to riot.

IBTL, Tomstro and Radricky like this.
  12. Radricky

Radricky Member

Splash

Tomstro likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Better not be the only trade Brown makes. This is like a DOGSHIT SUNDAE.

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Kouba, Gordon, and Arrighetti are waiting in AA for their opportunity to move up and are blocked by this trash heap pick up.

15. prospecthugger

This is the 3rd AAA starter the Astros have brought in since the season started. I don't think this is meaningful move; I doubt the Astros would hesitate to DFA him themselves if they need the roster spot. It does kind of show how uncomfortable the Astros are with their pitching depth.

Redfish81 and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yea it is an issue and has been that way pretty much since Brown graduated.

They have almost nothing in AAA to fill holes in the pitching staff with right now. The fact that someone like Seth Martinez has held onto his job the entire season while having options and with such a lackluster performance is a perfect example. The Astros have plenty of guys they can DFA to make room on the 40 man. Blake Taylor, Paredes, Rylan Bannon, Joel Kuhnel, and Salazar come to mind.

Buttrey and Record are probably the most deserving of the pitchers in AAA for a shot on the Astros and they are just bullpen guys. Buttrey based on some success in MLB in the past and he is just coming back from being on the IL since April. He was pitching pretty well before being put on the IL. Record was awful to start the season, but has been much better the last month and a half. He had a nice streak of 13 games in a row without allowing a run, but that was broken a week ago or so when he gave up a HR. He has been striking out a lot of guys recently.

After those 2.... it is ugly. Tamarez and Endersby were guys I was hoping could be rotational depth. They have been bad and awful.

prospecthugger likes this.
  17. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I am still holding on to some hope for Solis to put it back together this year but he is running out of time.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Threw his first MLB pitch at age 28, turns 31 in August, career ERA nearly 6, and hasn't played this season.. but has mostly been a starter.

He might have better results in relief and that's his likely role here

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

20. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Full circle moment prediction:

Jon Singleton hits a walkoff homerun this year to win the WS and sparks a fat blunt in the clubhouse to celebrate