1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Post-Season Projections and Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 2, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

By the numbers, the WS should be Atlanta / Baltimore.

But the numbers reflect the regular season.
    The post-season is here now.

A different season, possibly different favorites.

Its all about being HOT right now (next couple weeks).
    The teams that accomplish this in their respective leagues will go to the World Series.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Atlanta won 101 games last season, was on a roll heading into the playoffs after catching the Mets for the division title, and promptly got smoked by the Phillies in the NLDS. And that's who they may face again barring an upset by the Marlins.

Nothing is guaranteed.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

These numbers suggest a 2021 WS Rematch is the most likely combination.
    upload_2023-10-2_10-39-36.png

Caveat:These numbers pretty much reflect that the Astros will play their best players more often with the exception at catcher than they did in the regular season.

#4 Joe Joe, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Be careful. There is a brand new guy here who conflates prediction and preference. He thinks whatever you predict is your desired outcome. In his state of delirious confusion, he will feverishly wreck threads over this.

Wulaw Horn and cmlmel77 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't see anyone in the NL stopping Atlanta this year. they've had a fantastic season and last years disappointment will play a huge role on how they approach this years run. Stros/Atl world series would be epic

solid and jim1961 like this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I do not think that the Orioles will want to see the Astros in the ALCS ... and the Braves will not want to see to the Astros in the WS.

9. the shark

the shark Member

Not so fast there.
    ATL has issues with their SP.
    I believe Morton has already been ruled out of the NLDS with a thumb issue if I'm not mistaken and Fried has a blister issue. Elder's era has been over 5.00 the 2nd half and Strider has been up and down and from what I've read their pen is banged up and were flat out HORRIBLE over Sept.

The Phillies played seven games against them a few weeks ago (the Braves won 4 of the 7). Philadelphia beat them last year in the playoffs and it most certainly isn't a guarantee the Braves will run through them this year.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't see philly redoing what they did a year ago. Atl is significantly better than anyone in the NL to me. that lineup is just ridiculously deep. not worried much about their pitching. proven aces and filthy lineup will carry them for this run.

11. Screaming Fist

AL seems to be very weak which is driving the elevated WS odds for the Astros. The Orioles were the best AL team in the regular season and their pitching staff, particularly their SPs, is pretty meh.

NL looks to be much tougher with MIL, LAD, and ATL each being serious contenders. Best thing that could happen would be for each of those teams to go down.

12. Screaming Fist

Another thing of note is that among the hitters and pitchers, the Astros’ RPs had the most significant decline in performance in the second half. Pretty much all the main guys got a lot worse in the second half except for Abreu. Did Dusty wear them down? Will some time off help out?

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think the Orioles have the starting pitching.

Braves-Astros rematch.

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

The disrespect is real

ryan_98 and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  15. AkeemTheDreem86

Good. Underestimate the heart of a Chompion at your own peril.

Radricky likes this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

The truth is I don't have any idea what the Astros will do. They have looked so good and so bad this season predictions are pure guesses. Of course, I want them to do well. My gut feeling Is that now that they are "in," they will be more focused and kick it into another gear. I hope. I think (hope) they will shock everyone and win the ALCS. If that happens, I think they will likely face Atlanta in the WS. That would be a tough one. Or, they may get swept by the Blue Jays or Twins. I have been an Astro's fan since I was a little kid. I have hats, shirts, etc. I live in East Texas and make live games when I can. Win or lose, they are my team, and always will be. But, I want a new manager at the end of the season. And Maldy gone.

17. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

18. AkeemTheDreem86

... Except recently. I am trying to find the graphic, but our bullpen has been nails to finish the year.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wasn’t the Orioles starting pitching pretty good in the 2nd half? Grayson Rodriguez is a future star who has faired much better after being sent down earlier this year. I think the Orioles will be a tough out. They did lose their closer though.

edit: I forgot to mention that John Means is back from TJ and he is dealing.

#19 Tomstro, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  20. Pringles

Pringles Member

Funny cause Astros fan would not put Verlander in our top 3 list of Postseason performers... and rightfully so.

conquistador#11 likes this.