1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Playoff Rotation - Who Do You Trust?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles, Sep 9, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Removed

#21 J.R., Sep 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Pringles and No Worries like this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, do I trust any of them right now? No. Framber has been touched up a lot the last 2 months- with some quality along the way too, JV seems to alternate every other outing being good with bad, France doesn’t have the stuff you’d like to see and Brown and Javier are on fumes. mid sit Brown the next two times through the rotation and see if that energizes him some. If it does he’s your 4th starter I guess.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Game 1/5:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    LF Brantley
    CF McCormick
    C Maldonado
    SP Valdez
    RP Graveman, Neris, Abreu, Pressly

Game 2/6:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    LF Brantley
    CF Dubon
    C Maldonado
    SP Verlander
    RP: Maton, Neris, Abreu, Pressly

Game 3:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    LF Brantley
    CF McCormick
    C Diaz
    SP France
    RP Brown, Maton, Graveman

Game 4:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    LF Brantley
    CF McCormick
    C Maldonado
    SP Javier
    RP Urquidy, Graveman, Neris, Abreu, Pressly

Game 7:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    LF Brantley
    CF McCormick
    C Diaz
    SP France
    RP: Brown, Valdez, Graveman, Neris, Abreu, Pressly

#23 Snake Diggit, Sep 11, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If the Astros win the West (magic number 19) then the first 2 games will be at home very likely against the WC rd winners #3/4 then #1 or #1 then #2 both on 3 days rest.

This is a huge advantage for the Astros, in game 1 at the very least.

I like JV in game 1 then Framber in game 2

#3 and #4 will be on the road after extensive off time. I like France and Javier in those spots.

Outside of JV and Framber, none of the 4 candidates give me much confidence but France has been slightly more dependable despite lesser "stuff" and Urquidy simply can't be on the playoff roster.

I go
    1)JV - need 5 innings hope for 6
    2) Framber- same
    3) France - need 3 innings, hope for 4, Max 5.
    4) Javier - same

Bullpen:
    4th-6th) Brown, Stanek*
    6th-7th) Montero, Maton, Graveman
    8th-9th) Neris, Abreu, Pressly

* I heard on pregame yesterday that Stanek is already throwing so hopefully he returns.

The 7 other pitchers who have been on this team all have major warts but Seth Martinez is probably the best of them. I know they like Kuhnel a lot and he hasn't pitched much, but not so good so far - but he still has time to move up the list.

5. the shark

the shark Member

It looks the magic # is 17

IdStrosfan likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It is so infuriating to me that we have to put one of the most productive catchers in baseball on the bench 3/4 games so that the worst offensive and defensive catcher in baseball can play. I can see it to keep Verlander happy, but no other pitcher, including Valdez, should be able to make that call. Javier having Maldi as his personal catcher is absolutely bizarre.

Wulaw Horn and Pringles like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think we, as fans need to come to terms with the fact that Maldy will start at catcher at least 1/2 the time and most likely more.

JV has enough experience and mental toughness that he does not need Maldy behind the plate, but they are not making any attempt to pair him with Diaz.

Real or not, the narrative about Framber's mental state means Maldy will catch him.

Outside of a single start with Javier on the mound 8/15, in the past 2 months, Diaz has only started at catcher with Brown and France (and Bielak and Blanco but they won't start and likely won't make the playoffs roster). That start didn't go well with Javier giving up runs in 4 of the 5 innings he pitched.

Of the 3 candidates for the other 3 spots, I think none have 100% of the confidence of the organization but they do know that Javier performed well in the rotation and Brown in the bullpen last post season. That where I expect them to he. That leaves France as the other starter and the only one that Diaz will catch.

I do see Diaz playing in any game with ANY deficit after 6th once the starter is gone.

Furthermore, I think they MUST have Salazar on the playoff roster or else Diaz will not DH or PH.

I fully expect Yordan and Brantley alternating LF and DH and Chas in CF the entire post season. If a team has a LHSP (not many among possible playoff teams) then I bet they put Dubon in CF, Chas in LF and Yordan DH. I prefer Meyers but Dubon has clearly passed him and he's getting basically no playing time.

All that spells very little playing time for Diaz in the post season.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

3. JAVIER

I trust him enough to give him a start and capture last year's postseason magic. Let him spill some coffee on himself or something.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

So what happens if Maldy gets hurt, especially a concern considering his age? He needs to be able to be comfortable to whoever is catching. You never know. Maybe he needs some banana pudding to keep his potassium and blood sugar up since we are not concerned about his weight.

Wulaw Horn and Pringles like this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I don't get how Pressly (and his mom) insist Maldy be kept out there for him as well despite this still holding true:
    • Diaz: 0.00 ERA, .116 oBA
    • Maldy: 3.63 ERA, .229 oBA

Pringles likes this.
  11. Elienator

Elienator Member

I assume it’s because of his past World Series performance. He’s the Astros win leader in the WS going 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA.

Given how he’s pitched this year, I’d agree he’s behind France and Brown right now. Even in past years, he was always one of the first to get dropped out of the post season rotation and generally pitched in long relief or because other guys got hurt. I expect he’ll be in a similar role this year in the post season.

rpr52121 likes this.
  12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Bro - let Diaz be the starting catcher for Game 3 and Game 4. No one outside of Valdez and Verlander should be requesting a specific catcher with the way they are currently playing.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

France's 4.01 ERA since the break was really only one bad outing. It would be below 3 if it weren't for that outing.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Can we skip his and Brown's turn at least once in the next few games?

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If we don’t we are even dumber than I suspect getting ready to play maldonado the majority of the time at catcher in the playoffs while we sit Diaz.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

At this point I don't see them skipping anyone until/unless the division is in hand.

This needed to happen 6 weeks ago.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think Montero has jumped back into the mix, and will be ahead of Graveman and Maton. He hasn't been lights-out great, but only 5 ER in his last 21 innings.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Here we agree (probably because it is based in facts vs deference to those who “know better”). Montero has been far better than Graveman and Maton and should be a tier ahead when the playoffs start.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree w/ Montero getting back up to leverage tier. He has been good despite last night.

And he was there last year so I can see Dusty repeating 2022.

This bullpen is deeper than last year even if not as dominant

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I'll be on the edge of my seat for all post season games. I will be almost falling off with anybody that starts with their last name not beginning with V.

snowconeman22 and IdStrosfan like this.