1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I can spot arm talent with the best of them. Bryce Young simply doesn't have much... and not even close to having enough size and arm strength for the #1 pick on the whole draft. He's a classic example of a guy who is going to max out in college. Similar in some respects to Doug Flutie. Gritty competitor that has enough determination to overcome his physical shortcomings in college, but the size/arm strength limitations catch up to him in the NFL. Very few exceptions to this rule. Very few.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. Buck Turgidson

So...the most promising pass rusher in 2 years?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, he of 9 career sacks and 24 games in 3 years.

How many times do teams have to get burned by these promising defensive lineman?

Maybe they're the anti-Bryce Young's. Teams fall in love with their measurables, and despite their size, they fail to produce.

That's not to say that Young is a bust because he's got tons of promise. It's just to say that we put too much emphasis on size and measurables. Every player gets hurt.

#1284 Two Sandwiches, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Not sure where you're getting your stats from, but he has 34.5 career sacks, including 17.5 last year and 10 this year (despite a lot of double teams)...
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4685724/will-anderson-jr

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Sorry for the confusion.

Those are Chase Young's stats. He's missed quite a bit of time from the ACL injury, which had an extensive repair. Part of my point. Any player, at any time, can have a significant injury. Just like any player, at any time, can be discovered as a sexual predator. Can't shy away from game changing talent because of it.

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ok, gotcha. It's true injuries and human behavior are difficult to predict. However, some of the advanced science will get us more info soon on the injury side. Check out this NFL/AWS initiative... https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthand...cting-injury-with-contact-detection-challenge

As for human behavior and how it changes when you're given enormous money and fame, well that's a tougher nut to crack. Having a good family and people around you is probably the best indicator of how one might handle their success, but it isn't always the only one or the one that can be counted on for 100% success.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Just like when Clowney was suppose to have been this hell raising pass rusher. Not saying Will is a bust like Clowney but give me a qb. Can upgrade the defense in free agency.

Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

#1290 Fantasma Negro, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d throw up if we drafted Stroud

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

https://ninetynineyards.com/2022/09/07/will-anderson-scouting-report-everything-you-need-to-know/

I don't like the comparisons to Young or Bosa. Some of you may gather from my posts in general, that I don't like comparisons because I think its a lazy analytic approach.

Mr. Anderson is a different player, a hybrid DE/OLB type that would likely look good in a 3/4 or also rock out in a 4/3 like at AL. Looking back historically, two guys that are roughly his size came to mind Derrick Thomas (AL player) and Kevin Greene. Anderson doesn't appear as dynamic, have the crazy bend or the suddenness that DT had, but he does have some of that explosion and disruptive abilities. But remembering KG with his power and relentlessness, I could see some of Will's game a bit more.

What I like about Anderson is that he's a great pass rusher and run defender, something we desperately need. Because he's a disruptor, he'll also demand opposing team scheme planning and open up opportunities for other teammates.

He needs to develop more pass rush moves, but pairing him with a vet like Jerry Hughes seems like the perfect mentor fit.

It's not hard for me to talk myself into Anderson at 1.1, biggest knock on him is size, but he's not that small and is super powerful. He could probably get to the 250-255 range without losing any speed or explosion and that's plenty big enough. Really interested to see his combine/individual testing for grins.

Rudyc281 and sydmill like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

One thing that worries me about Anderson is his drop off in production this year from last. That shouldn't be happening.

If you say it's because teams game planned and adjusted for him, then I can say that on a bad team, in a better league, the same thing will happen.

I also can't shake from mind the meltdown he had against Texas. I think he had two offsides and a completely ridiculous unnecessary roughness calls in a span of like 5-10 plays, or less. When I saw that, I thought that it wasn't first pick material.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Trying to replicate the year he had last year wasn’t going to happen. Seems like he’s going to be a very good to great pass rusher as well as run stopper. FOR ME, he’s the next Von Miller.

15. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Jalen Carter no matter what.

Get an edge defender or receiver with the Browns pick.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

Get some Canada dry and some saltines lol

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud is Mills. We’ve seen this. Plus he seems dumb

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How does he seem dumb?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just listening to him talk, under pressure decisions. Maybe he’s just nervous speaking to cameras, but he seemed a little slow

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You ought to throw up if you have to watch Mills struggle again next year

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.