1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Quit bringing up the things that have consistently been proven to be a problem in the NFL because he's proven that it's not a problem for him...in college.

2. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Not sure how something can be shown to be a consistent problem when there is such a small sample size of short qbs in the nfl.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We saw the same kind of play from Baker and Kyler in college. It makes for really exciting football and can result in huge chunk plays since defenders can only cover for so long. But it can also result in big losses and big hits if they aren't careful. That type of play hasn't proven to be all the successful in the NFL either. Not saying this will be the issue with Caleb but as I posted earlier, Lincoln really gives his QBs freedom to break contain and use their legs at anytime, almost the opposite of how Saban wants his QBs to play.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Some of the most respected scouts look for QBs who have elevated their college program. Hard to make that case for Bryce Young -- as Alabama has fallen off in the last two seasons (losing 2 games each season -- a step back for them). However, you can make the case for Will Levis, in how he has elevated the Kentucky program. Levis has ELITE arm strength and size -- two areas where Bryce Young very clearly falls short. Levis has the size and frame to withstand the hits in the NFL... and has good foot speed. Levis is a great student - he turned down Ivy League offers coming out of high school. He has not been surrounded with anywhere near the talent that Bryce Young or CJ Stroud have benefitted from. When you adjust for that, I think we have to consider him at #1 overall. McNair is going to love his background and intelligence. That's important when you are handing out a monster contract... especially with what happened with Deshaun Watson. You want a guy that you can trust.

Wattafan likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Levis has BUST written all over him. Kentucky was supposed to be a powerhouse on offense. They are not. Levis has underperformed under pressure. I am not the biggest Bryce Young fan, however, the reason Alabama lost games was their Defense. Young reminds me alot of Watson, without the height and size. Makes plays. I open to Young. Penix Jr. at Washington is VERY intriguing. Andre Ware LOVES him. Penix Jr. is a clone of Watson size-wise (slightly taller), Mobile with a nice arm.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would do this trade in heartbeat

Verbal Christ, Rudyc281 and Astrodome like this.
  8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Same…except I’m drafting Carter at 3 and the best DE available at 13.

Verbal Christ, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. gucci888

Kentucky finished with a worse record this season. In all four of their losses, Levis threw for 3 TDs while turning the ball over 7 times. He also finished the season with -107 rushing yards, yes that is a negative 107 yards. That is not good, even for Kentucky standards.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I agree with everything except for the success part.....

We have to look at the history of the NFL and their coaches (especially QB coaches).. They have all been brained washed to believe that a QB should never break containment and stay in the pocket... Even the QB's who were successful at in college were re-trained to stay in the pocket..

Andy Reid has by far been one of the most open minded coaches out there and believes in letting his QB's do what they do best and they have been successful at it either by getting to the Superbowl or winning it... Reid has coached Favre, McNabb, Vick and Mahomes so it can be successful.

Back in the day you really only had 2 QB's that scrambled a lot Tarkenton and Archie Manning and they did it to stay alive, because they had no O-Line.. Today, your qb either has to have a quick release with an O-Line such as Brady or he will need to have the ability to scramble and run such as J Hurts... The defense of today's game or Big, Strong and very very fast... I mean you have Parsons a LB/DE one of the fastest players in the game, so a qb can't just sit back in the pocket...

But I do like your post and I totally agree with you, especially on the different styles and Views of Lincoln and Saban...

T_Man

gucci888 likes this.
  11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Shouldn't you be doing BOB'S dishes?

Phillyrocket, cmoak1982 and J.R. like this.
  12. gucci888

Anderson dropping to 3 would be a big surprise so it could be a pretty big disparity in the picks there. Honestly this draft would be a huge disappointment if we don’t come away with Anderson or Young IMO.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Interesting. Why can't you trust Young or Stroud? They've gotten great character remarks, across the board.

Wattafan likes this.
  14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Levis is ELITE - arm strength AND size, prototypical QB!

Just like Mallet, Trubisky, Leaf.

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. raining threes

There's a reason for this.

Your logic? SMH, you must be a short dude and I don't mean that in a bad way.

16. raining threes

Or Allen Herbert etc... Not saying I want Caserio to draft Levis

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. raining threes

1-3 Carter
    1-10 Johnston
    1-13 Tyree Wilson
    2-32 Verse
    2-40 Washington
    3-65 Stromberg
    3-75 Avila

Draft a QB in 2024 with the ol/DL fixed and the best WR/TE in the draft.

#1077 raining threes, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    whag00 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3957678/2022/12/02/nfl-draft-2023-texans-trades-quarterback/

No real surprise that Bryce Young landed at No. 1, but Will Anderson Jr., and Jalen Carter could be special. How much consideration did you give to a non-QB for the Texans?

The Texans will be somewhat of a mystery at No. 1. While they have an obvious need at quarterback, this draft doesn’t have a no-doubt-about-it QB prospect like Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow. If I have to bet on any of these quarterbacks, it would be Young (and I know many throughout the league share the same thought). But not everyone will be on board with his outlier size.

Plus, in his 20 years in the league, Texans general manager Nick Caserio has never been part of a front office that drafted a quarterback in the top 50 picks, so we don’t have a frame of reference for his preferences or dealbreakers at the position. The other factor is the enormous intrigue around the league over the potential of 2024 NFL Draft’s quarterbacks — that has come up multiple times in conversations with teams.

The Texans have plenty of needs up and down the roster and are likely at least a year away from seriously competing. If they “love” one of these quarterbacks, then they should draft him and build the roster around him. If they “like” these quarterbacks, then they should take the cornerstone defender (Will Anderson Jr., or Jalen Carter) and target a quarterback next year. It is fair to assume Houston will be picking early in the 2024 NFL Draft, plus the Texans own Cleveland’s 2024 first-rounder. They’ll have the ammo to move up, if necessary.

Sort of flipping the first question: You’ve got the Lions (at both 3 and 13) passing on a quarterback for defense. Was that a team-specific decision to go Carter over C.J. Stroud (and then Joey Porter Jr., over Will Levis) or do you think Stroud could slip a bit?

I don’t know if the Lions will pass on a quarterback. You don’t know if the Lions will pass on a quarterback. The Lions don’t know if the Lions will pass on a quarterback. It’s still too early in the process to say with any certainty which direction any team will go.

But in this scenario, I had Detroit passing on Stroud at No. 3 because I question if the Lions decision-makers will view the Ohio State quarterback as a clear upgrade over Jared Goff. Is Stroud the missing piece who can take a team to new heights? I’m just not sold on that line of thinking. I understand those who say you have to strike while the iron is hot: The Lions don’t expect to be picking in the top five in future drafts, so they should take a quarterback while the opportunity is there. But that won’t be the motivation of general manager Brad Holmes. Detroit doesn’t need to draft a quarterback just to draft a quarterback.

It’s the same point I made about Houston: If the front office loves one of these quarterbacks and comes away believing that prospect can elevate the team long-term, that should be the pick. But again, I’m just not convinced right now that the Lions will feel that way about Stroud or Will Levis. We’ll see if that changes the next few months.

raining threes, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is my concern. That our #1 overall pick is spent on more of a Baker Mayfield/Kyler Murray talent level rather than a Justin Herbert/Josh Allen talent level. I'm onboard for the cornerstone defensive player and waiting a year to address QB... or addressing QB via the trade or free agency markets.

Bryce Young is simply too small and lacks the requisite arm strength.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member