1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I would do that in a heartbeat, but I don't see DET making that sort of trade and at the end of the day, discussing unrealistic trade scenarios only inflates expectations and leads to disappointment.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its mock draft generator time of the year my guy. May as well start creating fantasy situations to keep ourselves entertained. I can totally see Detroit making a Detroit style move like this and hopefully Houston is not married to the pick.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Throwing a rookie QB into this mess is only going to compound the situation especially if the coach/OC are still in the fold.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Syd, thanks for the kudos! I love Anderson as well. Take a harder look at Carter, I think you'll come to love him as well. If our guy isn't there at the CLE pick then I think this is the year to trade back for additional draft capital. I also might entertain it with the first pick, if a QB becomes someone that a team can't live without.

I like your thinking in the other areas as well and would add LB to your comments on defense.

sydmill and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I also find it funny that you can compare Maye to Herbert and it’s fact but compare Maye to Rattler and it’s inconceivable… physical gifts or not, Maye is closer to Rattler than Herbert just on the fact that he hasn’t seen an NFL defense at all. So weird how you can pick and choose what matters and what comparisons are real.

Sooty likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If he measures over 5’10 he can be called 5’10-5’11, doubt he even reaches 5’10

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look up the photo of his Heisman ceremony with Saban. He’s at most two inches taller than Saban. The photo is in this thread

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Williams is a more close comp to Rattler than Maye is. Same size and Coach.

But…….neither Maye or Williams are anywhere near Rattler as a prospect. They’re both better prospects than Bryce

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would do this in a heartbeat

Verbal Christ and Fulgore like this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I feel like we’re fighting two different battles.. I have not once said Rattler is the same caliber as Maye or Williams, I have also not said Bryce is better than them (although I think football brain is more important than any physical attributes, I won’t even say Bryce is smarter than them)..

my argument is that passing on a QB in hopes that you:
    A) have another top 1-2 pick in the draft
    B) Maye and Williams don’t regress

Is a lot to gamble on.

Your argument, is that a short guy with literally every other box checked can’t be a good qb.

In my opinion, Bryce young having all the intangibles but being short is less of a gamble than having zero QB going into 2024 with hopefully a top pick, having no choice but to use it on a QB even if Maye and Williams regress, or hell, don’t commit to the draft and we get ****ed for another year. But who knows, I guess we’ll see come draft and the future of these men.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

What we’re your thoughts on Russ in the draft??

13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Plenty of video of him standing right next to Metchie who was 5'11 at the combine. He looks the same or possibly slightly shorter. If I had to guess I would say he is 5'10.5ish. We have no idea what type of shoes Saban wears nor do we know his exact height, but Metchie has actually been measured so he's much more relevant of a comparison.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I actually liked Russ, and would have taken him specially in the 3rd. But he is a solidly built dude with legitimate 4.5 speed. That’s not Young

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He looks shorter than Metchie in most photos.
    We will see. If he’s 5’11 and over 200 lbs I wouldn’t have as many reservations

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t get me wrong, I love Bryce the player and skill wise. That size scares the **** out of me. If we drafted him I would be ecstatic but would be on pins and needles every blitz

houstonstime likes this.
  17. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I get the fear, but he's never been hurt in the pocket. Nothing about him besides his overall size screams that he's injury prone. I played rugby in college and while size matters when it comes to injuries, some people are just more injury prone than others and some people play well with injuries while others don't. Nothing about him suggests that those are issues for him in terms of toughness or preparation. He seemingly takes care of his body well and he's a smart individual so anything that he needs to do to stay healthy, I'm sure he will do. Also doesn't come from a broken family like Deshaun did. I'm mostly high on him, because mentally he plays the game at a much higher lvl than any other qb coming out this year and that part of the game doesn't always stick.

Davis Mills technically has enough physical traits to be good, but mentally he just doesn't display the decision making to ever be that great even with much more talent around him. This is why I don't want a Will Levis or an Anthony Richardson who are superior physical talents because the decision making is awful and the nfl only gets tougher in that regard not easier.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That’s a fair assessment. Same as the assessment of others who aren’t as concerned about it. Not sure why those people are “salty” about it all of a sudden.

#838 gucci888, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  19. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Id look at FA for linebacker help. A guy that I am increasingly thinking will return to school but who Id be all over in the 3rd round is Cameron Ward. Guy's arm gets comped to Mahomes (just the arm talent mind you). Selecting someone like him and letting him sit for the first half of the season and then toss him out there with a good defense and a nasty running game and see if he is possibly the guy. I might also be game for Anthony Richardson in the second round as a high upside type that would allow Will Anderson to be selected at 1.1.

Shark44 likes this.
  20. raining threes

What difference does it make, he's short and the track record of short QB's in the NFL is poor.

cmoak1982 likes this.