1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This means absolutely nothing lol I remember scouts saying Mills would be a first round pick in the 2022 draft had he stayed. Nobody knows until the combine and it’s time to draft.

Really, not until they actually play in the nfl

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much every service is saying Maye and Williams will go 1/2. In some order.
    Williams and Maye are better prospects than any QB in this class, that’s not a knock on Bryce, they’re just that good

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Drew Brees isn’t 6’1”.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This type of thinking is how a guy like Mitch Trubisky gets drafted before guys like Mahomes and Watson.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah I agree. Both Williams and Maye are DYNAMIC throwers with the ability to get out on the edges and make things happen. Prototypes for the modern game. CJ is going the route of game manager and Young is not shifty or mobile enough for me to NOT use his size against him. Levis is another Trubisky IMO.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

@Shark44

I agree with so much of your analysis in this thread. I think that Young is the only QB in this draft I would be willing to bet on but I am very concerned about the risk given he would be such an outlier were he to hit. Compounding the problem is how bad I want Anderson at this point to help our defense. Were I Caserio I would select Anderson at 1. If Young drops to the Cleveland pick then he is the guy. Otherwise I am trading back to get extra picks (something like a FRP in the 20s, a second and a third). With 2 FRPs, 2 SRPs, 3 thirds and a fourth I would stock talent on defense (Anderson, a NT, another corner and a safety), reinforce the running game (IOL and another back to spell Pierce) and take a shot at a QB to develop. Id give the rookie QB the chance to become the franchise guy but would go into thinking that one of the guys in 2024 is who would ultimately be the guy.

Fantasma Negro, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I have Caleb Williams over every QB in this draft and next years. Would love if we were able to grab him and Marvin Harrison Jr.

I can’t get with Drake Maye. Feels more hype than anything. I don’t trust UNC quarterbacks and that may(E) :rolleyes: very well be the bias in me. Same reason I’m not all in on CJ Stroud and I actually like him.

Bryce Young is just too small for me. We thought Kyler was small but he’s definitely smaller. Kyler being built a lot better and we see him with injuries. I don’t see how it would be better.

I would go defense with the first two picks this year.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s not 6’ either.
    Combine measurements are accurate. He’s over 6’ and for sure 6’1 in cleats.

One thing is for sure, Young won’t come close to 6’

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair. I wouldn’t be mad with Williams. But Maye is going to be better imo, he has that it factor

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Will Anderson + any combo of Jalen Carter/Myles Murphy/Tyree Wilson/Bryan Bresee would be fantastic for this team.

Qan, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

100%

I’m leaning more towards Myles Murphy right now. Lance Zierlein has been heavy on Tyree Wilson.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This team generates no pass rush and cant stop RBs to save their life. EDGE/DL should be the focus.

Qan, red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

C.J. is the youngest of his parents’ four kids, though Kim has taken care of Isiah, Asmar, Cieara and C.J. by herself for years.

His early life revolved around a church his parents helped build called Life Application Christian Center, headquartered in Rancho Cucamonga, California, at which his father served as pastor and his mother the first lady.

"C.J. and Cieara, my younger two, that’s all they knew was church. We went to church several times a week," Kim said. "We dedicated a lot of our time to volunteering in our neighborhood, in our community. So my children spent a lot of time being selfless and knowing there's a lot, there's a big world out there, and you're not the whole world."

C.J. spent most of middle school helping build the foundation that would become LACC. While both parents are credited with C.J.'s strong bearing in his faith, his father — Coleridge Bernard Stroud, for whom he is named — was the first to put a ball in his hand.

In February 2019, Stroud ranked 860th among 2020 recruits. By August 2020, he’d rank 42nd — just a few spots shy of earning a five-star label. His ascent started with a quest to win Elite 11 MVP.

However, when the regional camp in Oakland ended, C.J. wasn’t happy. He did not believe he played to his best.

When Kim asked him point-blank how he thought he did, he said, "I don’t know." While working, though, just days later, she caught sight of her son careening toward her, glasses on his nose and a Wichita State Shockers shirt on.

"Ma!" he said. "They invited me! Oh my god! They invited me!"

He was the last of 20 quarterbacks invited to the 2019 Elite 11 Finals.

"Well, I get to Frisco and the first thing I did was pray," C.J. told me. "And I was like, ‘God, whatever you want me to do this, let me do it. And I'm gonna give You all praise, and just give me confidence.’ And that's what He did when I went out there."

Quarterbacks go through a simulated Pro Day performance, a series of tough throws meant to mimic the Pro Day each of those quarterbacks hope to have after three years of college football. At the end of the performance, each quarterback is given a score, with 50 being perfect.

Stroud went last in his group following Young, who put up a score of 45, which led the competition to that point.

It wasn’t just one dime Stroud dropped into a shoebox some 40 yards downfield. Every pass he threw was nearly perfect. Elite 11 director of player personnel Joey Roberts was in awe.

"Literally every single ball he threw was right on the face mask," Roberts said. "Proper footwork, proper rhythm, proper drop and the ball finishing. And as more people came onto the field and more coaches are getting excited, he was able to be consistent."

He ended the day with a perfect score of 50 — a record at Elite 11 Finals. Stroud’s was the first and only perfect score in the history of the competition.

On Oct. 8, 2019, Stroud received his scholarship offer to play quarterback at Ohio State. In August 2021, he earned the privilege to start.

I called Kim last summer and asked what it means to know her son was right about himself, that she was right to trust him to lead her and his family on this journey through high school football, recruiting and a camp circuit that ended with him playing quarterback at one of the most storied programs in the sport.

"He doesn't come from a background of quarterback coaches and paying money for your son to be great at a certain position," she said after a pause. "C.J. is purely just one of those kids that worked hard. And he's been that way since he was little. He could have been playing video games or whatever. But instead, he was just a real determined person.

"He deserves this. It’s an amazing blessing, and we praise God every day … that’s how I feel."

Fulgore, conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You mean Anderson and Carter with Demeco as HC

red5rocket and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So Bryce won’t be 5’10” anymore if he measures any fraction of an inch over correct?

Omihall23 likes this.
  18. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Damn, now Bryce is 5'6. It was a joke before, but you're fully committed to the silliness. I'll just list the three shortest starting qbs in the nfl below for reference. Not sure why we're hung up on height anyway, when it's really Bryce's weight that is the bigger issue, but if height is the hill you want to die on, be my guest. It's not proof that he won't be great.

Official Combine Heights and Weights - https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26102751/qb-murray-measures-5-10-1-8-nfl-combine
    Drew Brees - 6-0¼, 213 lbs
    Russell Wilson - 5-10⅝, 204 lbs
    Kyler Murray - 5-10⅛, 207 lbs

Based on this I'd be more concerned that Bryce's last reliable weight based on scouts was 187 lbs before this season started and that he has trouble putting on weight. Will Fuller weighed in at 185 pounds and looked good from a muscle standpoint at his combine, but then when he started playing games, he was quickly playing at below 170 lbs and kept getting injured. So it is a legitimate concern and doesn't require any hyperbole to exaggerate it. All of those factors can exist and Bryce Young can still be a great nfl qb and I believe he can be, but I'm ok with other people not believing so and in that case we should wait for 2024 because none of the other qbs in 2023 have shown more than physical traits and physical traits aren't enough to be great in the nfl.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lets pretend we end with the #1 pick. Lets also pretend that Detroit ends up at 6.

Anyone willing to entertain the idea of trading overal #1 with DET in this scenario for #6, #13, #43, #61 AND their #1 pick next season?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Hard to say what should be the focus when almost everything is bad. We had 5 yards of offense in the first half in this last game. With that sort of offensive output, it doesn't matter how good your defense is. That being said, getting Jalen Carter or Will Andersen isn't a bad play. The Texans are genuinely in a situation where it would almost be impossible to mess up their picks because they need everything.