1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

A lot of articles about this “sudden” increase of Levis’ odds. Most of these articles point to that Reddit post as the most likely explanation for the odds change so take all of this with a grain of salt. 48 hours until an uncertain draft so insanity should be expected from here on out

2. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Y’all believe anything lol. Thursday can’t come soon enough.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Bryce is going No. 1 but after what happened in this past NBA draft, I can understand why people would react this way.

Don't forget, this happened in last year's NFL draft. Travon Walker wasn't considered the No. 1 pick until two days before the draft.

FLASH21 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

There definitely are a lot of articles that refer to the Reddit post, but it's also worth mentioning, the guys who set these markets are setting the market for potentially BILLIONS of dollars... so if they truly are in fact resetting the entire draft market based on a reddit post, that should be a fireable offense...Lol. That's ridiculously bad.

Which makes me wonder if there really may be some smoke with this....

#7624 primtim24, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    J.R. likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

And on the flip side many dont weigh it as heavily. Im pretty sure there have been QBs to score well who havent panned out. Makes you wonder what did teams do before that all important quiz!

6. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Yeah. It’s just funny because the source for this rumor is from Reddit.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Big chance as I think Panthers may go Richardson or maybe Stroud.
    I think they have nosed in front of BY for them right now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

Pro days need to be 8 days before the draft. Feels like an eternity ago.

houston19519 likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I know it's all about spacing coverage throughout the offseason but 4+ months between the SB and draft is took long.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Will Levis goes number 1.

Then I think the Panthers have found a certain AFC South trade partner(Colts)

That would also suggest maybe they like AR/Stroud equally.

Could be anything, but these betting lines are too significant to ignore. It would take a ton of money to move that and I doubt its just "reddit"

What a fun week so far.

11. houston19519

houston19519 Member

My question is how does a source on Reddit shift the odds so drastically? I’m not familiar with betting.. but is that common to happen?

Rudyc281, tmacfor35 and J.R. like this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There were rumblings that Reich want AR with Tepper wanting Bryce. Recouping some of the capital they gave up and getting the Reich wanted would be a win for them. Of course I want Bryce so hoping this happens.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. tmacfor35

Not like this. Would not be surprised if there was some bookie's that deep dived the source and checked it out.

They run one of the bigger enterprises in the world.

Vegas clearly feels there is some fire to the Levis information.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ewton-other-comparisons-for-top-qb-prospects/

QB1. Anthony Richardson, Florida

Comparison: More explosive Cam Newton

In actuality, there's no awesome comparison for Richardson. He is truly one of a kind. In the history of football, we have never seen a quarterback, at his size, with his explosiveness, long speed, running talent and bazooka arm. We just haven't. I nearly went with a Josh Allen comparison, but Allen was -- believe it or not -- more polished and aggressive as a pocket passer entering the NFL in 2018 and is a little bigger than Richardson with longer strides as a runner.

Richardson possesses the sheer power and similar cutting skill of Newton early in his career and also boasts a technically sound delivery, just like Newton had. But where Newton would take a second to kick it into top gear, Richardson erupts when he sees an opening and will run away from some defensive backs in the NFL. He absolutely needs to sharpen his accuracy overall, yet his pocket presence provided flashes of brilliance at Florida.

QB2. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
    Comparison: Slightly more dynamic Sam Bradford

Bradford was rightfully lauded for his precision as a passer when he entered the league out of Oklahoma. During his long NFL career, when he was kept inside the pocket, he could dice most secondaries. He anticipated well, he had plenty of arm strength but not a howitzer. That's precisely how I feel about Stroud right now.

Bradford was mostly immobile and Stroud is a better athlete, which should give the former Ohio State passer more upside as a professional. For as much as Bradford never met the lofty expectations of being the No. 1 overall pick who was universally adored by scouts and draft analysts, he did win Offensive Rookie of the Year, and led the league in completion percentage (71.6%) in 2016 with the Vikings. Purely in terms of passing the football, Bradford was special. That's the book on Stroud, too.

QB3. Bryce Young, Alabama
    Comparison: Smaller Tony Romo

Romo was a smaller quarterback who seemingly always got out of trouble despite not being an intimidatingly explosive athlete by NFL standards. He didn't have a rocket arm, but was one of the more efficient passers in the league during his time as the Cowboys starter because he knew where to go with the football and threw an accurate ball, especially underneath and at the intermediate levels. Romo could stretch defenses vertically, too. Despite a few late interceptions, he mostly rose to the occasion in critical points of the game.

Replace "Romo" with the "Young" and you'd get a fair description of the former Alabama quarterback's strengths, weaknesses and play style. Of course, Young is a bit smaller than Romo, yet it's a big deal. Young's lack of size didn't hurt him in the SEC. It won't in the NFL.

QB4. Will Levis, Kentucky
    Comparison: More athletic Carson Wentz

Levis provides glimpses of what his size, athleticism, and arm strength combination can do. And they're special. But they're glimpses. They're not routine. Levis' decision-making is average, and his ball placement has to improve at the next level. Despite major physical gifts, he doesn't operate calmly under pressure, and it feels like his legs should give him more advantages as a scrambler and throw-on-the-run threat.

Doesn't that sound exactly like Wentz? I do feel like Levis is more sudden moving around in the pocket than Wentz though.

QB5. Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
    Comparison: More polished Sam Ehlinger

QB6. Clayton Tune, Houston
    Comparison: Josh Dobbs/Skylar Thompson hybrid

QB7. Hendon Hooker, Virginia Tech
    Comparison: Teddy Bridgewater

This one is pretty uncanny. Stylistically, from the look of the delivery to the arm strength to the mobility, Hooker reminds me of Bridgewater. The veteran quarterback was probably more advanced as a thrower than Hooker while Hooker is bigger and has a touch more juice when he takes off.

Other than those two differences, Hooker has Bridgewaterian physical and passing capabilities.

QB8. Jake Haener, Fresno State
    Comparison: Brock Purdy

Early in the pre-draft process, I picked Haener as my "Brock Purdy of the 2023 class." Like Purdy, Haener was a productive, multi-year starter. Far from big, Haener got the job done as a passer with a fearless attitude, deceptive arm strength and just enough wiggle to scoot away from an occasional oncoming defender.

Those are descriptors I used for Purdy a season ago while watching his Iowa State film. Now, of course, his situation in San Francisco significantly aided his tremendous rookie year, but Purdy did do plenty of good things operating the 49ers offense a season ago. Haener has that Purdy feel to him.

moonnumack, Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

You are correct, there have been QB's who scored well and didn't pan out. But according to the S2 guys, no QB's who scored low on the test have ever been successful in the NFL. I believe that is why the scores are somewhat important to some when evaluating QB's. So if there is any truth concerning CJ's very low score, it doesn't bode well for him being a successful QB.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

This is about the Colts GM, but I think it applies to every team, everybody has a source that they know what the team is going to do.
    I dont believe most the smoke around the draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...nd-no-one-knows-what-any-team-is-going-to-do/

Chris Ballard: Everyone is lying this time of year

Colts General Manager Chris Ballard said it’s a misconception his team is targeting one player.

Of course, when you have no idea what the three teams ahead of you are going to do for certain, it makes it difficult to target one player.

“No. No idea, and I don’t think anybody does,’’ Ballard said, via Mike Chappell of Fox 59. “Everybody thinks they do. I mean, of course everybody thinks they do, and everybody has an inside source who is giving them information of what’s going to be done.

“Just look at the mock drafts and tell me how accurate they are after the draft. Nobody knows. Nobody is giving out information.’’

“I just always love to read the reports that, ‘The Colts love this guy, and they’re dialed in on this guy,’’’ Ballard said with a smile. “Like, who’d that come from? It didn’t come from me.

“Who’s it coming from? Who’s telling them who we love and who we don’t love? They don’t know.’’

raining threes likes this.
  18. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

And watch we don’t take him ….that would be really nuts

19. tmacfor35

Would be very Texans.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

What a win for Htine it would be to land Big Dick Udoka and fat balls Bryce within a couple of days. I would feel like karma would be on our side during the Wemby lottery

Two Sandwiches likes this.