1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

How so? Texans haven’t said anything. Why should they? The one thing I like about Caserio, he doesn’t show his hand.

2. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

I was responding to someone who doesn’t want Young and has fantasies about the Texans drafting AR. If you want to compare Trey with AR, Trey had over a 65% completion rate in college with 30 TDs and 1 int while AR has a 54% completion rate with 24 TDs and 15 int. Being a freak athlete doesn’t mean you are a good QB. By the way Trey Lance has been in the league two years and done what exactly? He has more than likely lost his job to the last player picked in the draft.

#6582 Hawkeye84, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    houstonstime likes this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Absolutely NOTHING on TL.
    I think it would be STUPID to trade for Lance, a QB baby Shanahan would have already determined doesn't have "it" if he's on the trade block!
    I've stated this before, just not over and over (and over) like some do with their opinions. lol

I just used his name to illustrate that a mobile, athletic, strong armed qb works best in the Shanahan offense and AR has that in spades.
    Much more raw ability and potential than Lance.

Even Levis seems more suited for the offense we'll be running than Stroud but I just don't like CJS at any spot in the draft.
    I'm still not sure what's information and what's smoke so I'm just hoping our braintrust will make a good decision when the time comes.

I have little faith in Caserio's "eye" for talent as he's done nothing to prove otherwise yet imo but maybe Demeco will prove to be a young "Ozzie Newsome" as well as a great coach.

You know what they say...."Hope springs eternal". lol

4. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Once again, freak athlete is no guarantee he will be a good QB. I have seen him play his entire college career and except for some really amazing plays here and there, not impressed with his QB play. Fifty-four percent completion rate with 24 TDs and 15 ints translates to not being very accurate and poor decision making.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah all of this is par for the course.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That good luck charm will only cost you a 2nd and a 4th,

7. No Worries

If the Texans do not like CJ Stroud at 1.2, I could see them trading back to 1.7 and the Raider's 2024 FRP (which might be a top 5 or better pick). The Colts might even offer 1.4 plus two other FRPs. The Raiders or Colts 2024 FRP should put us in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

SF is having a fire sale on Trey Lance. DeMeco Ryans would know whether to take that gamble or not.

There is a non-zero percent chance that AR15 makes it to 1.7, but ... Jalen Carter might still be on the board. If not Carter, there is likely a future all star to be had at 1.7 without reaching.

Running it back with Davis Mills (ducks and covers) might be a better option than Trey Lance or Jordan Love or Zach Wilson or whoever else is not-available-but-available. If the 49ers can win with Brock Purdy ...

raining threes likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why would the Colts give up more than the Raiders to jump half the spots? Do they need to trade up at all? Especially now that the Texans have let it slip out that they supposedly don't like Stroud?

9. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Will Levis: So the progression of the Will Levis story is he was getting #1 pick speculation and Josh Allen comp’s before and during last year’s college football season. After the college football season, it seemed consensus was that he took a step back last year, or at the very least fell short of some very lofty expectations and his draft stock cooled a little. But even with said cooling of draft stock, you still get the impression that GM’s league wide struggle with the “BUT’s” and “WHAT-IF’s” Levis IS the next Josh Allen. Don’t ask me to predict how things will go next Thursday

Rudyc281, gucci888, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Which is why it's crazy to pin hopes and dreams on next year's QB class. Let alone that we have no clue where we'd be picking and of anyone would be willing to trade out of a high pick...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. houston19519

houston19519 Member

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. No Worries

The cost of trading with a rival.

How about this?

The Colts trade 1.4, 2024 and 2025 FRPs for 1.2.

The Raiders trade 1.7 and 2024 FRP for 1.4.

The Commanders trade 1.16 and 2.47 for 1.12 or
    the Steelers trade 1.17 and 2.32 for 1.12 or
    the Lions trade 1.18 and 2.48 for 1.12 or
    the Buccaneers trade 1.19 and 2.50 for 1.12

Texans draft:
    Carter at 1.7
    Bijan Robinson at 1.16
    TE at 2.33
    center at 2.47

and have two lottery tickets for 2024 draft and one lottery ticket for the 2025 draft.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

ApolloRLB and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

No Worries likes this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hard to argue with the value here.

17. No Worries

Hard to argue with the value here.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

There's no player guaranteed to succeed in the NFL, evrything's a projection to some degree.
    AR would most assuredly be a much, much bigger projection as to what he would/could ultimately become.
    The main question with him imo is do you think his flaws are easily correctible with NFL coaching and more playing time.
    There's much division on the draft experts on whether his are or not.
    I mean if his inaccuracy problem is mainly a fooptwork issue that's something that's correctable with coaching and reps.

But I never said I advocated drafting him really high.
    Just asked for clarification on what seemed to be a puzzling post the way it was worded.
    And pointed out that AR and Levis do have athletic skillsets that fit well in the Shanahan offense.

I'm actually a BY or bust'er for this draft.
    And a Stroud nowhere guy second.
    But if I DID HAVE TO PICK one or the other I'd use the 12th pick on AR long before I'd give up even a second for Lance.
    TL was a one year wonder at a small school that has an average at best arm and has been given up on by one of the best offensive strategists who can even make a late 7th rd qb work in his offense.

Like I said I am mostly holding out hope that CAR is still gaming us on BY in an attempt to get an extra first out of us.
    If they're really all in on him as is supposed to be true then let's see them cancel the upcoming visit they have with Stroud.
    Tell him they don't want to play "horse" with him anymore.

I think(or is it hope) that they're really trying to play "Survivor" with us.
    Or is that "chicken"?
    Or maybe it's just my own wishful thinking.

Hawkeye84 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Actually Scraeger's not giving us good value AT ALL!

In the mock it says if Buckner's not included it should be a second or third rounder instead.

We're supposed to trade indy the #2 overall for the #4 and just an extra 3rd?
    How about two seconds and a 4th or four 3rd's instead?

Sooty likes this.