1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Speculation on trading up to 3. This is the proximate cost per table.

ARIZONA
    1-3 2200
    4-105 84
    ------------

Houston
    1-12 1200
    2-33 580
    3-65 265
    3-73 235
    --------------

Shark44 likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for us drafting a pass rusher at 2.

I mean, it may end up being the right move some day, but......do the names Mario Williams and Jadeveon Clowney not ring a bell? Did either of those 2 highly drafted pass rushers ever live up to their pre-draft hype?

macho GRANDE and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would say that both were worth a top 10 pick in retrospect.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe so, but his tape is the least developed of any of the top 4. By a lot

texans1095 likes this.
  5. showa13

showa13 Member

6. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Got a classic

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#6169 zeeshan2, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Sooty, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I said that this is how it would shake out 3 months ago.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Adam Peters liked Mills

12. Two Sandwiches

I partially agree. I think it's fairly easy to read between the lines here and see what's going on.

Carolina traded up knowing that they were very high on Stroud or Young. That is evidenced by reports that they would have traded up to number two. If the bears had traded with the Texans. You can read even more into that, and say that means Stroud to the Panthers, but I'm not as convinced.

Anyways, I think the Panthers traded up knowing that they loved the two quarterbacks and would take whichever one they like more after evaluations. I think they still have it as 1A and 1b. I think the Texans prefer Bryce, would have two quarterbacks if they would draft. Not sure if the second is Stroud or Will Levis though.

Either way, I think it's come down to essentially what has become a pissing match of smoke signals. The Panthers want the Texans to trade up so that they can regain some of that draft capital back. The Texans are fine to stay where they are. The smoke signals keep getting more and more desperate by the day from both teams. The Panthers trying to get a trade executed, as they get nervous that their plans will leak, and the Texans leaking about Anderson as a big FU.

It makes no sense for the Texans to leak that they want to take Anderson, other than if it is a smoking signal. By leaking that they would take Anderson, they essentially telling the Titans they can trade up to take whoever their quarterback number two is so the Colts can't get that person. This creates a bidding war within the AFC South as the teams try to get their quarterback of the future. At this point it would make sense for the Texans to do a rug pull and get a quarterback at 2.

I'm not saying that Texans don't love Anderson. I think they probably do. I'm just saying that it makes no sense for them to leak that they're going to take Anderson at all. Even if they planned to. If that leaks and they take Anderson and don't get a quarterback, that alone is enough to fire. Nick. It would be the second year in a row that their draft pick has leaked weeks ahead of the draft. If anything, if they love Anderson that much, trade back up for him. There's going to be a run on quarterbacks. You may be able to get Anderson somewhere between 5 and 7 potentially.

I won't be shocked if we do take Anderson. I'll be very disappointed that we didn't get a quarterback, unless we trade back up for one. But mostly I'll be disappointed in Nick's ability to GM the draft.

These so-called draft gurus have to be a mouthpiece of fake information at some point in order to get access to the legit information. What better time to spew out the fake information then smoke signal season? If they ever got called out on it, that's all they have to say.

Sooty and noscrusir like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Two Sandwiches

Would be the most Texans thing ever for us to draft Anderson and have him have a Mario Williams type career and then have Young and Stroud become perennial pro bowlers for 12 years.

Sooty and Fulgore like this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Debatable, but I don't think either one of them impacted the franchise the way a #1 overall pick should have.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

has us taking Will Anderson at 2 and JSN at 12

Qan, red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would Love that

18. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

They are in a very small minority that feel that way.

19. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

A friend and I were talking today and the question came up, why do GMs picked who is drafted? With a few exceptions, they are businessmen, with no NFL playing or coaching experience, charged with running the organization with little to no real expertise in evaluating players.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Whos the qb