1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. raining threes

Guaranteed fail.

A short less athletic Kyler Murray and a Flat St. DL?

2. raining threes

Guaranteed fail.

A short less athletic Kyler Murray and a Flat St. DL? I hope they win 4 games and are out of the QB market this draft.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Each individual player is different. Who was the last good LSU, Oregon and Texas tech qb? All three now have produced elite qbs.

4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He’s athletic enough and a much more cerebral and mature player than Kyler Murray who relies on his athleticism to carry the day. We’ve seen that doesn’t work too well in the playoffs.

As for CJ Stroud, I think it’s much more beneficial to evaluate prospects on their own individual merit rather than give in to superstition based on the school they’re coming from. Ohio State puts a lot of qbs in to the NFL, which is the only reason this criticism is made and is frankly ridiculous. Stroud’s game is so different from either Haskins or Fields that it’s disingenuous to compare them.

houston19519 and Fulgore like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Strouds game is almost identical to Haskins.
    Very much a pocket passer that had elite talent around him.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

People forget the season Haskins had (better than Stroud last year) and was first round pick because of his arm. We all know the rest.
    They’re almost identical size, similar athleticism.
    Stroud seems to have a much better head on his shoulders, which is a positive.

People clamoring for a new age QB, one that can beat you with their legs and arm, and in the same breath want Stroud are hypocrites.

7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

A much better head on his shoulders is a significant difference when talking about a pocket passer. I much prefer Bryce Young or Will Levi’s over Stroud personally, but I also think he’s much more likely to succeed in the NFL than Haskins or Fields. He has more pocket mobility than Haskins, and he’s a much better passer and more intellectual than both Fields and Haskins.

Bryce Young and Will Levis just have more of ability to create plays outside of structure which I think is becoming almost necessary in the NFL today.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think that’s fair.
    I’m probably not being fair to Stroud, he does appear to have big league processing and accuracy.

And I think Stroud will test ok in physical testing, less than Mills but like Mills it doesn’t show up in game play

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I can understand the hesitation on Stroud for this reasoning. But it's also difficult to say you'd rather wait on Ewers ignoring UT's track record at the same time. At the end, drafting QBs is really a crap shoot. No one has any idea if you are getting a Justin Herbert or Marcus Mariota, Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray, etc...If Caserio really like Stroud, I'd rather him go for it rather than making a decision based on Fields/Haskins. There are just too many variables to focus on school history IMO.

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

I get this line of thinking, but the difference is the type of offense Ohio St runs vs USC/Texas. For the record I think Stroud is much better that Fields/Haskins. If you want a good NFL QB then pick a QB in the next draft. If you want to take shot at greatness then wait until 2024 and the Williams/Ewers draft, atleast those guys have run pro style offenses with great QB coaching. The worst decisions are usually made out of desperation, drafting a QB in next yrs draft reeks of desperation.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

Here is what Nick will do:
    Trade the Cleveland First for a late first & another two 3rds.
    Trade the 2nd, 3rd and fifth to move up to the bottom first.

Now you have picks
    1,1,1, 3,3,3,4th
    Trade 2 of your 3rd rounders for a low 2nd

Final high picks to shop:
    1st,1st,1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Now the fun part.
    Gucci nailed it. That's exactly what we need. QB, Center, LB/edge and WR.
    Fill the picks with your top choices at those positions.
    Mine would be:
    1st round:
    Bryce, Trenton(drops to us), Voorhees (Crystal Lake U)

2nd round: Quentin Johnston falls to us

3rd round: Center Brett Neilon (Voorhees teammate at Crystal Lake)

4th round: Another safety to pair up with pro bowler Pitre.

Harris and Metchie will be added into the fold.
    With a gazillion dollars in salary cap, hopefully they would add someone worth more than a 1 year prove it deal.

Because Nick has been excellent in the draft, that could be a 12 good to great player turnover on the roster entering the 2023 season. The disturbing thing is if you don't hit on the QB it's all for not. womp womp.

12. raining threes

Is he running the same offense Fields/Haskins were? Are they putting up similar numbers? Is Stroud better Fields/Haskins was? Yes it wouldn't be hard to be better than them., is he going to be an Elway/Manning type QB that you would want to spend 1-1 on? Not even in the same stratosphere as prospects. BTW, it's not about schools, it's about offensive systems and coaching he's received and when he becomes a pro is he going to listen to NFL coaching or Avery? Also if he's just top 10 you can bet Mulaghetto will be pulling a Watson/Murray move. Pass on that.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. raining threes

Alot would have to go right in trades for this to happen.

Give me

DE-Anderson
    WR- Johnson
    TE- Washington
    NT- Ika, After trading back into 2nd
    RB- Achane

Sign Roquan Smith/Cooper Rush and Alexander Mattison in FA. If you have to move Cooks to make this happen do it. You probably can get another 2nd or 3rd rd pick for him at the trade deadline.

Fill out the rest of the roster with high upside late rd picks. This draft would mirror last yrs SEC, Big 12 centric draft and that went pretty well.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Best player available player all picks.. Then tank for Ewers..

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I personally think Williams, Ewers and Drake Maye are better than this years class.
    And they’re young

raining threes and javal_lon like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

QB, C, OG, TE, WR, RB, DT, DE, ILB, OLB, CB, S.

Other than that, no holes anywhere.

17. raining threes

Burrow/Herbert and Mahomes.

The coaching and system matters. Frankly I'm surprised Herbert turned out as good as he did coming from that system. Just goes to show that a big/ smart guy with a great arm and great accuracy can succeed. But it's rare.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think he was saying besides them, there isn’t a track record.

raining threes likes this.
  19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Riley runs a pure air raid offense straight out from Mike Leach. It's the same system that has produced multiple Heisman winners and records but with very very minimal NFL success. I like Williams a lot but if you are worried about system QBs, he is definitely in that group IMO.

As far as classes, I'd agree your assessment if this was the 2022 class but Stroud, Young and Levis are all really good prospects in their own right.

20. conquistador#11

This made me laugh then reality sank in:
    [​IMG]