1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

2. raining threes

Before the combine I had the TE's ranked

Mayer
    Washington
    Musgrave (Due to past injury issues)
    Kincaid (Same as Musgrave)

Now my rankings look like this

Washington (I'm betting his lack of production was due to being on the same team as Bowers. Reminds me of Gronk, a guy who was under used in college. This guy has a real chance to be a difference maker.

Musgrave- Looks healthy and very athletic.

Mayer- Solid, long time starter,

Kincaid- Maybe the best of the group.

I wouldn't have an issue with Washington at 1-12, I think he's that talented, but I really want Nolan Smith on the Texans and if they dont pick him at 1-12 he wont be there at 2-33. BTW, Zack Kuntz and Will Mallory along with LaPorta are all long time starters. IMHO

#3862 raining threes, Mar 5, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Shark44, primtim24 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like Schoonmaker in the later rounds. 4th-5th maybe.

Shark44 and red5rocket like this.
  4. raining threes

He can definitely block and is as solid as can be. He would be the best TE in last yrs draft. What do you think about Kuntz and Mallory?

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Heard of Kuntz. Haven't watched anything on him. I have not heard of Mallory. I've been mainly looking at the best of blocking TEs.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

red5rocket and primtim24 like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Did he see his awful combine?

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or were they?

10. raining threes

I'm hoping they can get 2 TE's in this draft. This draft is that good at this position. Say draft Washington early and Kuntz later, or Musgrave early and Schoonmaker later. Fix this position for the next decade. I just hope Ryans/Caserio dont reach for a WR in this draft. The 3rd rd would be the time I would start looking at picking a WR, maybe even the 4th.

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Yes, similar in the sense that like 4-5 of them have elite traits that could make them an excellent TE.

Between Darnell Washington, Michael Mayer, Dalton Kincaid, Luke Musgrave are all given 1st round grades and considered to be good guys to build with. I don't know if any of them are head and shoulders above the others to warrant grabbing a TE at 12 as opposed to grabbing a really good one on Day 2. Or even trading back and grabbing one later in round 1.

raining threes likes this.
  12. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

"Screwed us" would imply he prevented us from doing something we were wanting to do.

There was never even a hint of us trading for Justin Fields. And if we were going to trade for him, CJ Stroud not wanting to go there wouldn't matter.... this isn't Madden.

cmoak1982 and Sooty like this.
  13. raining threes

I would take a chance on him at 4-103. No way I invest in him before that, especially with his reported attitude issues. Obviously he didn't take the combine seriously. It doesn't appear to me he's got dawg in him. When things get tough, he quits. He's got talent though. Give me Mingo or Iosivas over this guy.

Sooty likes this.
  14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This is a completely irrational take, bc Washington looks real nice. But it just pisses me off so much that Bowers isn't eligible yet, that I almost don't want to draft Washington. I realize that makes no sense. I just want Bowers 100x more than all of these dudes combined. Is he the best TE prospect ever?

primtim24 likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

Even if you really like Fields, which you do, why would we forgo the 2 years of a rookie contract to trade high picks for a guy when we could draft and develop our own and have 3, maybe 4 years of cheap labor at the position? Fields would have to be much more of a finished project for that to make sense. And if he was, the Bears wouldn't trade him.

Sooty likes this.
  16. raining threes

I consider Washington and Musgrave to be at the top of the group. While you can find a very good TE say in the 3rd rd, LaPorta/Kraft etc... These guys aren't difference makers like Washington/Musgrave are. IMHO

17. raining threes

So you dont want to draft a guy because he wasn't used like the other guy and I'm being irrational? OK

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can jump higher than that dude.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. STR8Thugg

"He doesn’t look like one of the best athletes of all time"

Alright, so this quote... I feel like AR DOES look like one of the best QB athletes of all time when I watch him play games. I agree that he is extremely raw as a QB, although probably not as raw as many think. There are a lot of other factors that led to his low completion %, as a few have accurately pointed out. I'll reserve the rest of my thoughts (about his QB ability specifically) for a later time.

Alright so let's use this quote again and apply it to my thoughts about Gabbert: "He doesn’t look like one of the best athletes of all time"

Gabbert tested really well, as you have pointed out over and over, but watching him play, I never would have thought in a million years that he was even remotely the one of the best athletes at QB, in his class and certainly not all time. Not even close. Numerous non-descript QBs have looked better athletically. Everything about his game was so uninspiring, even in college! He statistically wasn't even very good at Missouri. Played in a spread offense and barely threw TDs, yards, or ran for anything of note. He was never intriguing to me. It blew my mind that Todd McShay thought he was a better prospect than Cam Newton. It was ludicrous.

In the NFL, Gabbs was constantly a pathetic QB. Not athletic enough to run away from pressure consistently. No awareness and no football IQ to speak of.

Like I have explained numerous times, I just never understood the hype with him, despite the combine stats. His athletic ability in a combine never really translated to the field, in college or pro ball.

cmoak1982 and Omihall23 like this.
  20. STR8Thugg

This is perfect. I hope he falls to us, bc I like him a hell of a lot better than most of these WRs.