1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. raining threes

I would argue Clownery was picked because he and McNair both went to South Carolina.

I called that pick before the draft.

jch1911 likes this.
  2. raining threes

I'm hoping they come out of this draft with foundational players.

Carter
    Bijan
    Musgrave
    I've got Schmitz rated over Tippman.

Make the trades necessary to get these guys and I will be happy with the draft

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Abso-fing-lutely.... I was stomping around for Khalil Mack.
    I knew he would end up as a better player. Just read his story.
    But I knew in my heart that Clowney probably had a promise from Daddy McNair (RIP)

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

that's why ayton was picked for the suns; sarver and ayton went to the same college

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

6. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

This dude had me thinking he would be a great later round pick, until he said Kordell Stewart and great quarterbacks in the same sentence.
    Next prospect please.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/27/nfl-combine-top-draft-story-lines-bryce-young

whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

To be fair, should it happen, Young was being mentioned as the best QB in this class long before DeMeco was named head coach.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Jalen Carter · Georgia · DT · Junior
    Carter is a highly disruptive player with the versatility to line up at any position along the defensive front. Against the pass, he has an explosive first step and understands how to work through the edges of blockers. He jars opponents with his initial strike before clearing his hips and closing in on the quarterback. He has the change-of-direction ability of a player 40-to-50 pounds lighter. He can use pure power to run through single blocks and possesses the quickness to split double teams. Against the run, he is firm and strong at the point of attack and has the range to make plays on the perimeter. The only negative is that he ends up on the ground a little too much. Overall, Carter is a real difference maker and must be accounted for on every snap.

2. Will Anderson Jr. · Alabama · Edge · Junior
    Anderson is a long, athletic edge rusher with excellent power and production. Against the pass, he is at his best when he's wide on the edge and has a runway. He can win with his suddenness/speed or transfer that speed into power and run through offensive tackles. He also has a good feel for an up-and-under move when the OT oversets to the outside. He does need to work on escaping when he doesn't win early in the down, as he gets stuck at times. Against the run, he uses his length to stack blocks and make his way to the ball. He has the speed to chase and make plays from the back side. Overall, Anderson isn't a super loose/bendy edge rusher, but his combination of speed, power and instincts should translate into double-digit sacks at the next level.

3. Bryce Young · Alabama · QB · Junior
    Young was an ultra-productive passer for Alabama. The 2021 Heisman Trophy winner has quick feet in his setup and effectively marries his eyes and feet. He remains on balance and delivers the ball accurately to all three levels. He is quick to work through progressions and throws with excellent anticipation. When he has room to step up in the pocket, he can forcefully drive the ball. When his foot space is limited, though, his ball lacks life at times. He can avoid free rushers and extend plays, always keeping his eyes up to capitalize down the field with his arm. He will take the free yards with his legs when necessary, but he's never in run-first mode. His lack of height isn't a major issue, but his narrow frame raises concerns about his durability at the next level. If Young can maintain his health, he should quickly emerge as a quality starting quarterback in the NFL.

4. Bijan Robinson · Texas · RB · Junior
    5. Devon Witherspoon · Illinois · CB · Senior
    6. Tyree Wilson · Texas Tech · Edge · Senior (RS)
    7. Peter Skoronski · Northwestern · OT · Junior
    8. C.J. Stroud · Ohio State · QB · Sophomore (RS)
    Stroud is a pure, natural thrower with outstanding production. He has the desired size, arm strength and decision making for the position. He isn't a dynamic athlete in his setup, but he always throws off a firm/strong platform. He has a smooth delivery and throws a beautiful, tight ball. He can layer the ball over linebackers and under safeties. He puts a nice loft on deep balls, making life easy on his pass catchers. His biggest issues arise when he has to move/reset and deliver the ball, as this causes his accuracy to suffer. (The impressive College Football Playoff performance against Georgia is the notable exception in this department.) He is a build-up-speed runner when lanes open up for him to take off. Overall, Stroud is definitely more of a shooter than a scorer. He will have success, provided the pieces are in place in front of him and on the perimeter.

9. Will Levis · Kentucky · QB · Senior (RS)
    Levis is an inconsistent player on tape, but he possesses ideal size, arm strength and athleticism. He is a power thrower, capable of fitting the ball into tight windows at the second and third levels. However, he needs to get more consistent underneath. He has bad misses, especially when throwing to the left. He tends to close off his front side, which severely impacts his ball placement. I admire his toughness to stand firm in the pocket, but his lack of awareness leads to him taking some monster hits, spawning ball-security issues. He moved around much better in 2021, showing quickness and power as a runner. This past fall, due to his own injuries and a lesser supporting cast, he wasn't as effective. Overall, Levis is gifted, but has some bad habits he needs to clean up in order to be a reliable NFL starter.

10. Dalton Kincaid · Utah · TE · Senior
    11. Jordan Addison · USC · WR · Junior
    12. Joey Porter Jr. · Penn State · CB · Junior (RS)
    13. Christian Gonzalez · Oregon · CB · Junior
    14. Anthony Richardson · Florida · QB · Sophomore (RS)
    Richardson packs elite arm strength and athleticism into a big/physical frame for the position, but he is incredibly raw on tape. He has urgency and explosiveness in his setup, and the ball jumps out of his hand from his three-quarters arm slot. His arm strength is special; he doesn't even need to engage his lower body to make power throws deep down the field. On the flip side, his decision making and accuracy are a roller-coaster ride. He yanks his arm at times, leading to some ugly misfires. He forces too many balls into crowded areas, too. He is electric as a runner, using his burst, agility and power to rack up runs of 60-to-80 yards. In summary, Richardson needs polish, but his upside exceeds everyone in the draft class. He's a low-floor/high-ceiling prospect.

15. Keion White · Georgia Tech · Edge · Senior (RS)
    16. Paris Johnson Jr. · Ohio State · OT · Junior
    17. Broderick Jones · Georgia · OT · Sophomore (RS)
    18. Lukas Van Ness · Iowa · Edge · Sophomore (RS)
    19. Myles Murphy · Clemson · Edge · Junior
    20. Nolan Smith · Georgia · Edge · Senior
    21. Brian Branch · Alabama · CB · Junior
    22. Michael Mayer · Notre Dame · TE · Junior
    23. Darnell Wright · Tennessee · OT · Senior
    24. Darnell Washington · Georgia · TE · Junior
    25. Jaxon Smith-Njigba · Ohio State · WR · Junior
    26. Jalin Hyatt · Tennessee · WR · Junior
    27. Quentin Johnston · TCU · WR · Junior
    28. Jahmyr Gibbs · Alabama · RB · Junior
    29. Zay Flowers · Boston College · WR · Senior
    30. Calijah Kancey · Pittsburgh · DT · Junior (RS)
    31. John Michael Schmitz · Minnesota · IOL · Senior (RS)
    32. O'Cyrus Torrence · Florida · IOL · Senior
    33. Joe Tippmann · Wisconsin · IOL · Junior (RS)
    34. Felix Anudike-Uzomah · Kansas State · Edge · Junior
    35. Steve Avila · TCU · IOL · Senior (RS)
    36. Will McDonald IV · Iowa State · Edge · Senior (RS)
    37. Cody Mauch · North Dakota State · OT · Senior (RS)
    38. Emmanuel Forbes · Mississippi State · CB · Junior
    39. Derick Hall · Auburn · Edge · Senior
    40. Ji'Ayir Brown · Penn State · S · Senior
    41. Luke Musgrave · Oregon State · TE · Senior
    42. Deonte Banks · Maryland · CB · Junior (RS)
    43. Trenton Simpson · Clemson · LB · Junior
    44. Drew Sanders · Arkansas · LB · Junior
    45. Kelee Ringo · Georgia · CB · Sophomore (RS)
    46. Bryan Bresee · Clemson · DT · Sophomore (RS)
    47. BJ Ojulari · LSU · Edge · Junior
    48. Mazi Smith · Michigan · DT · Junior (RS)
    49. Zach Charbonnet · UCLA · RB · Senior
    50. Hendon Hooker · Tennessee · QB · Senior (RS)
    Hooker is an ultra productive QB with size, accuracy and athleticism. He operates in the Vols' unique spread attack, where they send their outside wideouts to the extreme edges of the field and force opponents to defend them in space. Hooker has outstanding field vision, makes quick decisions and delivers the ball in a position where his receivers can easily run after the catch. He doesn’t have a powerful arm, but he can make all the necessary throws. He throws a beautiful deep ball. He has the athleticism to extend plays and he’s very effective on designed QB runs. Unfortunately, he suffered an ACL injury late in the season that could jeopardize his rookie campaign. Also, his age (25) is a concern for some teams. Overall, I see Hooker as a quality starting QB and wouldn’t be shocked if he has the best career of any passer in this year's class.

OUT: Sam Laporta, TE (No. 46); Tuli Tuipulotu, Edge (No. 47), Tyrique Stevenson, CB (No. 48), Davis Allen, TE (No. 50)

#3351 J.R., Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but what's wrong with some of these questions? I know we don't want teams crossing the line, but at the same time, knowing if someone comes from a drug/alcohol affected home could be a big deal, no?

If you're drafting someone to be the face of your multi-billion dollar company, I'd want to know what kind of potential baggage they may have too. How do you even decide what's considered a question that "crosses the line"?

14. raining threes

I'm thinking Cal will make the call on who is picked at 1-2. Hope I'm wrong, it is what his dad did though.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. raining threes

If he does that 1-12 should be in play for Washington.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Clowney was a generational athletic freak. However, his production in College never matched his physical ability. That sounds like a few QBs that are getting hyped up in this draft (Levis, Richardson).

red5rocket and HstnSprtsFan101 like this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

In most job interviews, I ask what country club a candidate (or his parents, depending on age) belongs to. I need to know if the person is of good character and moral fiber. And as you are aware, I do not hire any candidate whose behavior, even in the least degree, may be inconsistent with good manners.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You're kidding, right? What you do is baggage, what your parents do is not.

Nook likes this.
  20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I disagree about him being a once in a generation athletic freak... JJ Watt, Mario Williams stand out to me more
    Clowney had some splash plays in college and could run really fast in a straight line at the combine... but you saw where his heart was out in college.
    Also the pass rusher metrics say Clowney was not going to be the pass rusher he was hyped up to be. Good? Yes; Great? Not so much.
    IMHO not deserving of the first overall pick

cmoak1982 likes this.