1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Can’t understand why ESPN keeps the guy on the payroll. Wrong more often than right.

2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Yeah Kiper is easily one of the least accurate draft analysts. I’ve started paying much more attention to the guys at The Draft Network and The Ringer for draft analysis. They’ve been much more accurate and on point the last few drafts from what I’ve found.

Hawkeye84 likes this.
  3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Here's another guy that should be available in the mid rounds - Chris Rodriguez RB Ken

He is definitely solid at 5'11" 225 lbs.
    He has a subtle step like Arian Foster to make people miss and falls forward when tackled.
    Not used much in the passing game because of his running but that can be improved and he is big enough to be effective blocking.

raining threes and david_rocket like this.
  4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Not sure, would imagine likely comes down to some teams bluffing and Texans just wanting to pay a modest price to remove any doubt about getting their top guy. Stroud/Young may seem fairly equal to us, but it's just hard for me to imagine an NFL front office comes out with any equal grade on two QB's. If they do end up with a strong preference for one of them, I'd hope they'd just do what it takes to get their guy rather than settle for the second option because it's too embarrassing to part with a couple of mid-round picks to gain back a pick that should have been yours. We're talking about a player you plan to build around and will hopefully be your starting QB for the next 10 years - not really the time to just settle.

Though if they really don't have a strong preference between the two when all is said and done, obviously just stand pat.

Major likes this.
  5. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

Only the Texans could have the guaranteed golden ticket and manage to screw it up. I don’t care what position you are going to go after, having that number 1 pick is a game changer.

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

For sure. I was fuming after that meaningless win. But my point is we shouldn't handicap Demeco or whoever ends up leading this franchise because of a dumbass decision by our disgruntled former coach.

7. Major

Major Member

This needs to be repeated over and over. The whole "take whoever's left" thing is stupid - if an NFL front office doesn't have a preference, they probably aren't a very good front office.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can’t wait to see how they do in their underwear against air!

9. Mattician

Mattician Member

Do not trade up. That's all I ask.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This. Don’t double down on your own mistake.

11. Major

Major Member

The mistake is a sunk cost - you don't make decisions based on that. If you think one QB is Peyton Manning and the other is Ryan Leaf, you absolutely try to trade up if needed. Or even if you think one is Joe Burrow and the other is Derek Carr. Obviously this all depends on their evaluation of the talent - if you think there are two Derek Carrs, then maybe you don't move up.

Doubling down on your mistake could easily be argued as letting the guy you want go to a rival because of your first mistake.

cbass, Sooty, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If the Colts are serious about moving up, I’m okay with them spending multiple firsts to do it. The mistake to me would be falling for their bluff. And I really like Bryce too, but I’m intrigued enough with Stroud to stay put if they want a QB. I’m running to the podium if Anderson is there.

UTSA2step and raining threes like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

Hendon Hooker is best qb in this draft

CVcrew likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There is a non-zero chance that this is true.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

all it takes is one team to fall in love with him and trade multiple 1sts to move to #1

16. raining threes

You didn't like how Howard played last season?

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think he's a better guard.

18. raining threes

Got it,

I like him better at RT.

Plus it's much easier to draft an IOL that an OT, in say the 3rd rd you can find a starting C/OG like Avila. All of the starter level OT's will be gone by then.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Yeah... no. Neither Peyton Manning nor Joe Burrow are in this draft. Not even close. DO NOT TRADE UP in an off-year QB class!

UTSA2step, mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like to get a center in the second or third. Sign a tackle and move Howard inside.

raining threes likes this.