1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud would be far worse. Stay away from him at all costs

rfrocket and King1 like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - but that clock starts after you get the QB. Most other players don't last that long. If you're waiting until 2025 or 2026 for your QB, whoever you draft now is probably completely irrelevant to your team when it actually gets to the point of competitive. Similar to how the Texans got elite DEs in Mario Williams and Clowney - after 5 years, they were gone.

If your goal is to draft Arch Manning in 2026, you might as well draft a boom/bust QB this year. Either he'll be great and you can actually get good earlier, or he'll suck and you'll be in position to draft Manning in 2026. The defensive player you alternatively pick is likely gone or paid a fortune by 2028 or so anyway.

whag00 and houstonstime like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why? Because he played at Ohio State? Have you watched Stroud? He is probably the best QB OSU has ever had. You telling me he sucks, but why?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have watched majority of his games. No, he’s not the best Ohio St QB. We’ve been over this

King1 likes this.
  5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I don’t think Stroud is gonna suck, but I do think he has a much lower ceiling than someone like BY or Levis. Stroud played in an Ohio State offense that is historically super simple for QBs to pickup and doesn’t prepare them for a pro offense. He played the last two seasons with the likes of Olave, Wilson, Njigba, Harrison Jr at WR, so he’s had absolutely insane weapons. He plays in a conference that isn’t exactly known for having defenses with much speed/athleticism like he’ll play in the NFL. He hasn’t faced much pressure in college and when he has his numbers have dropped significantly.
    Now, he looked great in the Georgia game. And for the first time ever he showed his scrambling ability. So that alone might be a reason to believe he can take the leap at the next level. But IMO there’s way too many warning signs with him.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok, I trust people who know OSU's program. I am going to ask you, Why will Levis? A QB who STRUGGLED against Vandy. His stats are not impressive. He has a big arm? So? So did JaMarcus Russell, Blake Bortles, Jake Locker. Sometimes, play against the best teams matter. Not just average stats that Levis put up against LSU and Georgia his first year at UK, but couldn't repeat those numbers the next against Georgia. And those last 3 games of his career were dogshit. NOTHING Levis has done is even close to Young and Stroud. Why should Levis be thought of as another QB that has physical skills, but cannot read defenses or place the ball in where it needs to be under pressure?

primtim24 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not actually big on Levis, I would just pick him over Stroud.
    Young would be the only QB I would use the 2 on

8. Major

Major Member

I have no idea who will be best, but it's the same as the argument of "why would anyone want Josh Allen who was mediocre at Wyoming instead of Mayfield or Darnold, who put up huge numbers in big conferences?" There are lots of successful NFL QB's who weren't phenomenal in college; there are lots that didn't play at big schools or play big competition. There are also lots of failures. Same for the opposite. Comparing QBs by their college numbers or trying to evaluate players on individual games is a fool's errand.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Josh Allen is the EXCEPTION. He was lucky to have a GREAT Offensive mind coaching him. Stop comparing Levis to Allen. There is comparing numbers then there are the numbers Stroud and Young put up over their careers. Those are some of the best numbers in the history of college football. Against the Best Competition in College Football.

houstonstime likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why. Again. Why? Levis has shown NOTHING.

houstonstime likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Neither has Stroud. Levis has a lot better upside

raining threes and King1 like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Never draft a Michigan QB (unless it's Brady)
    Never draft a Tech QB (unless it's Mahomes)
    Never draft a Cal QB (unless it's Rogers)
    Never draft a UCLA QB (unless it's Aikman)
    Never draft a blah blah blah blah.

It's a ****ing tiresome exercise.

13. raining threes

I guess I would be ok with this, but I hate to waste high draft picks on good, not great QB's.
    He's got the best skill set arm/mobility/ that's fairly accurate in this draft. With that said don't think that I'm sold on Levis at 1-2. I definitely wouldn't spend 1-2 on Levis or any other QB in this draft.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. raining threes

Or none of the above.

15. raining threes

Waiting a year instead of setting for a QB because you need a QB is thinking like the worst franchise in pro sports?

Thinking like you is why the franchise is where it's at today. A lack of patience is a big reason why this org is where it's at today.

16. raining threes

Never draft a midget?

17. raining threes

Ok, Levis has Mahomes type tools.

Better?

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

O come on, there’s a little more to the Ohio state QBs.. Troy smith, Terrelle Pryor, JT Barrett, cardale jones, Dwayne Haskins (rip), Justin fields.. multiple times it was “well this is the best qb Ohio state has had” and every time it has been a bust. I’m an Ohio state fan, I have been my whole life. I loved watching a lot of these guys. I even hope Stroud succeeds. But not on my team, I don’t wanna risk it.

it’s not something as blanket as “all OSU QBs must suck” it’s scheme. It just doesn’t transfer well. Hell, tech and the air raid offense, it doesn’t transfer well either. Mahomes IS the exception, but it’s not like there have been a bunch of tech QBs that have all failed until them, honestly not sure how many came through the nfl. Same with the other colleges you listed.
    I also like defensive backs from LSU, oLinemen from the big ten, etc… but guess we’ll see.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Mahomes in college: 11,252 yards, 93 TDs, 29 INTs. 8.8 Yards per attempt. 63.5 comp.%.

Levis: 5876 yards, 46 TDs, 25 Ints, 8.0 yards per attempt. 64.9 comp.%

Levis is not in the same galaxy as Mahomes in college. Hell, he can’t even match Blake Bortles: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/blake-bortles-1.html

The problem for you Levis lovers is that production does matter. Josh Allen is the EXCEPTION. Having a big arm is not “Mahomes tools”. Processing a defensive coverage and how to react to is the biggest part of being a QB. Levis had not shown that capability. I’ve seen Young and Stroud do it. Not Levis.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You haven’t seen Stroud do that.

And again, stop comparing numbers. It’s stupid

houstonstime likes this.