1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-3] Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the trade up and selection of Will Anderson Jr.?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

83.1%
  2. NO

16.9%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Myles garret played 85% of snaps . Anderson played 53% . Also not sure who was double teamed more.

Not sure if it that matters or not.

astros123 likes this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Also isn’t the entire point of advanced stats because counting stats are mostly useless

raining threes likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Some counting stats im sure are good for judging certain things, just as im sure some pff stats are good for judging certain things.

astrosrule likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The book is still not officially closed on the trade - but we're obviously in the final chapter.

As someone who fully embraced the excitement of the deal but disliked how much we gave up: obviously, the dynamic has changed all these months later.

I believe the final tally is '23 12, & 33, '24 23 & 89. Right?

Still a lot. But I also think it's fair to argue none of those picks would've landed us a prospect as highly-rated as Anderson (who I think makes THE leap next season). Would I prefer 4-to-1? Yeah; that's an argument I'd probably still make. Again, we can put actual names into the equation now, and Gibbs and LaPorta have been VERY good picks who went 12 & 33.

But I do feel better-ish about the trade. The Texans having this good a season has obviously re-contextualized it.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. vince

vince Member

I think the Cardinals are feeling the sting of the trade now that they know their draft pick keeps getting worse. They bet that the Texans would be bad this season, and they lost in that aspect; instead of getting a top 10 pick, they are getting a late pick in the 26+

I doubt the Cardinal make the trade if they knew that they’d be picking that late in the first round. 2 firsts, a second round pick, and a 3rd round pick is a very reasonable and beyond fair price for a talent such as Will Anderson.

8. raining threes

True about picks 1-12, 2-33.

What makes the WA pick is that he's the leader on the defensive side of the ball.

It's so good to have CJ lead the offense and WA lead the defense for the next decade.

Hopefully a couple more leaders can be found in the next draft.

#508 raining threes, Jan 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    cbass and the shark like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I now feel betterish about your opinions ;)

This is Good News!

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. cbass

cbass Member

The 23rd pick this year is the pick we are getting from the Browns.

It is still tbd what 1st round pick the Cards will get from us this year, but it’ll probably be 32.

Hey Now!, Qan, vince and 2 others like this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMG_9547.jpeg

12. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

is defensive rookie of the year basically between eagles jalen carter and will?

13. Buck Turgidson

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Yes. There may be some DB who tackled a guy in some game 8 weeks ago....

But yeah.

raining threes and dholi_1 like this.
  15. vince

vince Member

After seeing the media on Carters bandwagon for most of the season, even after Anderson was showing massive impact, I figured Will Anderson will just have to wait to get his award next season as Defensive player of the year… lol

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

To be fair, we also got the 105th 2023 pick from Arizona, which we flipped for the Eagles’ 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft, which I think will be about the 85th pick or so, meaning the third round pick we’re sending this year is essentially a wash. So, ‘23 12 & 33, ‘24 23. Worth it without a doubt. Barring injury, the book is closed on this trade IMO.

17. Buck Turgidson

Carter started strong, Eagles started strong.

Anderson finished strong, Texans finished strong.

Their stats are pretty damn identical.

raining threes and vince like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

Good observation, I didn’t even think of that till you brought it up. The 4th round pick Arizona sent to the Texans was traded to the Eagles for the 3rd round pick in the 2024 draft. Which is going to be a few slots higher than the Texans pick going to Arizona from the Texans.

So you are right, the overall cost for the Texans was 2 firsts (one mid round and one very late round) plus a 2nd round pick (which is a steal for a player like Will Anderson). Texans 3rd round pick actually improved from where they would have been drafting.

Of course without Will Anderson playing like a boss, the Texans would have likely been around a 6 win team. Arizona gambled and got a lot less than they were expecting.

Part of me tells me that Arizona had high hopes for a Miami style return haul from the Tunsil trade - I think they were thinking at the very least a top 12 pick and as high as the #1 pick. It was a solid bet, and telling of what they thought about Stroud.

Houston77 likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Would be interested to know what the Arizona forums are looking like… fresh off the draft everyone had them getting Caleb Williams and MHJ with the top 2 picks.. and they refused the Cleveland pick because ours would be higher haha: funny how that works sometimes

20. raining threes

The picks were

1-12 Gibbs
    2-32 LaPorta
    2024 late rd 1st.

Great players were picked at 1-12 and 2-32, remains to be seen who the late rd 1st will be or who the Texans pick at 3-85.

It turned out to be a fair trade because the Lions in this case got 2 great players and because of his talent and leadership I wouldn't trade WA for them.