1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

2. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Game thread?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Stroud looked awful. I think the local media just got exposed for all the wishcasting and puff pieces they've been writing about Stroud's performance...and I'm still amazed at how many people just accept the media's propaganda pieces at face value and without any skepticism... everyone has an agenda.

My biggest beef: Demeco looks bad for immediately handing Stroud the starting role in Game 1 of Preseason... instead of making him earn it. This is management 101 people! You can't instill a culture of accountability when you gift people things that are undeserved!

Stroud will improve and get better but we need to adjust expectations a little here and realize that he kinda sucks right now. Should be a steep learning curve -- and hopefully fast.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What if Stroud plays really well in preseason game 2 and Mills is off. Then that would be exactly how it went down in training camp. Demeco hasn't really done anything wrong yet. It takes time to see the bigger picture.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

he hardly played because of the hurt offensive line. How do you know he hasn’t earned it? Are you at practice? Are you in the qb room? Lots of laughs at someone sitting on their couch thinking they know better than Demeco after 2 preseason series with no protection. Totally stupid take.

7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is starting to separate the people that like to knee jerk from those who can truly take all things into account and have some patience. Slowik adjusted his approach as the game went along and that benefited the other QBs. Stroud will have joint practices against two other teams along with more playing time in the games.

Every facet of our team is doing this for the first time. First time head coach, first time OC, rookie QB, rookie center, new offensive system, and 3 starters on the offensive line missing. Anyone who can’t take those factors into account and would rather declare a player a bust after 4 passes is not capable of any sort of meaningful evaluation of football.

thegary and zeeshan2 like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I haven’t said anything about it. It wasn’t good but there was some factors that went into it.

However, the same people defending Stroud so vehemently would be blasting Mills if he had the same day. In fact there were multiple people here doing it in Mills rookie camp when he threw picks. Didn’t hear a peep when Stroud had back to back bad days.

Stroud played bad, held the ball too long, didn’t handle pressure well and stared down a guy. No need to make excuses, he just has to learn from it and show improvement.

9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

They both should be evaluated. Mills bad days are magnified because he is not a rookie. It’s reasonable to have higher expectations of someone with experience. Of course people on this forum will be hyperbolic on both sides. If nothing else, Stroud at least is making the Texans relevant to national discussion.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

this is a good reasonable take. I will say I wasn’t as excited about mills play in this game as others. His accuracy is still a big question. Dell would have probably had another 40 yards if he wasn’t throwing at his ankles. Dell is getting really wide open and that should really benefit Stroud if he can make the reads quickly. Obviously something a rookie qb is going to struggle at for a while.

houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn’t even talking just about this game with Mills. His rookie season the same people defending Stroud were dogging Mills.

Either way, it’s a new system for both guys. Need to see improvement

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I didn’t like a couple of the throws, obviously the two super low throws. One incomplete.
    But the seam route up the middle thrown a little behind I thought was a good throw, if he would have led him the safety/backer from the opposite side would have smashed Tank.
    The TD throw was a nice back shoulder.

I do think Stroud will improve. I’ve watched every play of his multiple times now, his drops are messy and he held the ball a long time. Some when he didn’t need to and some when the receivers weren’t open or had weird routes

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes, they both need to improve a bunch to make the Texans relevant. To be honest, if we are trying to maximize wins this year, Case should be the starter starting the season, not that I am advocating that as it would slow the development of Stroud, who is the only one with the potential to be our franchise Qb.

macho GRANDE, 9baller and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yes, Mills had the burden of coming in right after Deshaun Watson so he was unfairly bashed his rookie season. I don’t like his accuracy issues, but he really has had probably the worst situation around him for the last 2 years that any QB could have.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yes, Mills had the burden of coming in right after Deshaun Watson so he was unfairly bashed his rookie season. I don’t like his accuracy issues, but he really has had probably the worth situation around him for the last 2 years that any QB could have.

raining threes likes this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Obviously, no one is calling Stroud a bust... we are just saying he played very poorly in his first game... and needs to improve. That's plainly obvious to anyone who watched the game.

Stroud needs to earn it. That's the key. He's got to work hard and outperform the competition to earn the starter's role. Demeco trotting him out there as the starter in Game 1 really undermines that process and doesn't create the proper motivation to push him hard enough to succeed. Demeco is a first time head coach and has a lot to learn. He coached defense, which is more talent/reaction than scheme... and benefitted from having some of the games best players on his squad. He needs to prove it as well. Early indications suggests that he's making some managerial rookie mistakes.

17. raining threes

I'm just hoping Hannah doesn't mandate Stroud be the starter like she mandated the Stroud pick. I look for Stroud to be named the starting QB in short order.

18. raining threes

He better improve or the McNair's wasted the Watson trade.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How in your mind does he have to earn it? I trust Demeco is evaluating all the evidence including practice, qb room, huddle presence, etc. not just 4 passes in his first pre-season game like you.

charlieaustin and Fulgore like this.