1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. conquistador#11

I never got the leadership vibes from Mills at the podium like the few times we've heard from Stroud. His innocent charisma carries well with his teammate. He doesn't have a filter either kind of reminds of Jalen Green with the honesty.

mikol13 and primtim24 like this.
  2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I will admit I did not want CJ. However, after the selection, there are some things that stand out about him that I do like.

In no particular order… One, I like that he is accurate. Two I love his confidence. If you don’t believe in yourself, who will? Three, I like his story and the work he put in to get him to where he is today. He didn’t exactly have the easiest childhood. He had a difficult path and by sheer will has excelled. This speaks to me about commitment, drive and his will to be great. I also like his size. Watching him and Anderson in that video and he is the same height. Finally I feel like his accuracy will allow him to web good in this offense early on. The weapons he has seem to be guys that can easily get separation in space and separation early in routes which allow us move the ball.

Do any of these things mean he will good at this level? Of course not. But I also had heard that Watson was supposed to be the MJ of football so there’s that.

whag00, Shark44, houstonstime and 2 others like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

also a reason why many teams were falling over themselves to trade up if Stroud fell to 3

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely don’t want him to fail. He’s a Texan.
    Do I expect him to fail? Yes-kinda. Because I don’t think he was the best option and doesn’t have the upside of the other 3.
    I could be completely wrong, but in no way am I rooting for him to fail so I can be right. That’s actually a terrible way to live.

Some of the people here are actively rooting for Levis to fail because of the way he looks, that’s wrong too

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I gave Mills the benefit of the doubt, you for sure didn’t. Did that make you happy to see him fail? That makes you not a Texan fan right?

And Levis wasn’t my choice at 2, that’s what your dumb ass doesn’t get. He still has miles more upside than Stroud. But as long as he looks like the type of QB you want you’re good with mediocrity. You do you

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lmao yea ok. I think I will trust what Nick and Meco thinks about a player rather than some clown on the internet. He has so much upside that’s why every team passed on him right? Lmao pathetic

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Fortunately for him, the football world is vastly different than the corporate world.

For instance, in my job, there a hard statistics that can be shown, in a reasonable way, and will tell you how good a person is. I always said that this is what should take place in any interview. Assess the statistics from a cumulative dataset of candidates. Football is more similar in this regard.

The corporate world does not compare 1:1 when it comes to sports (nor does my job, or any other).

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Agreed -- that is my point.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Maybe. It may not be in the first few years. Could be later down the line. If Levis would have been drafted top 5 with positive hype then made to be a starter early on that could end his career quick.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You didn’t even want Stroud in season clown.
    When our rival trades up for a player that should concern you.
    We know why you don’t like Levis, it’s too obvious. You’ve been clamoring for an athletic QB but then jump for joy for Stroud. Least athletic QB on the roster but hey, you like the way he looks

11. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Every time he speaks, I believe in him more and more, but his play on the field will be the ultimate factor of course. Talk is cheap. I will give him some time but he really has no reason to not succeed - new & improved coaching staff, good offensive line, good running back room, (should be) improved TE play...

I would like better talent at WR but there is still a lot of unknown there.
    Good QB play can elevate a lot of average WR groups.
    The right coaching can elevate every position on the field.

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly, I’d bet Levis is a starter before season ends

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So anytime somebody talks about Levis that makes him a racist? Gotcha. Lol can’t make this s*** up

red5rocket likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No not anyone, when you and a couple others do.
    You literally have been screaming for an athletic big armed high upside QB. But the moment we have the opportunity with Levis you prefer a slow pocket QB with poor success under pressure from a school that doesn’t produce.
    Little suspect.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who said Stroud has no upside besides you? And he has a big arm and he moves similar to Mahomes (4.7 type speed) See the Georgia game.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fulgore, HLM, Hchristopher
    Delusional.
    He doesn’t move anywhere near Mahomes. You want to believe that, he’s a lesser athlete than Mills-by a lot.
    His arm is good. But it doesn’t matter if he’s poor under pressure.

And pretty much every pundit says he doesn’t have the upside of the others.

17. cbass

cbass Member

Could you kindly provide the sources that say he has no upside?

He was generally held to be, at worst, the 2nd best QB in the class, with many people having him 1st. He was a consensus top-3 pick. Yet you act like he is a scrub and that everyone agrees with you.

Please show where all of the pundits agree with you.

houstonstime, Fulgore and red5rocket like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When pundits say your comp is Goff/Dak/Geno and the likes, that’s the no upside.
    He’s a polished guy in a class where there isn’t a clear stud.
    He could be Burrow, but it’s much more likely his ceiling is top 12-15 guy.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I do get tired of it looking like I’m ******** on Stroud while arguing with posters.

I like his interviews, I like his fire, I like his size and accuracy. I do think he can be quality starter and we can win with him.
    I don’t see him (most pundits agree) being a top 3-5 guy in the league.

houstonstime likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You mean to tell me you can't be better than the player you are comp to?

Young QB Comparisons Coming Out:

Dak Prescott → Brett Hundley
    Deshaun Watson → Marcus Mariota
    Daniel Jones → Ryan Tannehill
    Justin Herbert → Carson Wentz
    Jalen Hurts → Tim Tebow
    Josh Allen → Jake Locker
    Patrick Mahomes → Jay Cutler

Fulgore and havoc1 like this.