1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. raining threes

It tests your ability to think on your feet under pressure. Obviously this is a weakness of Stroud’s.

BTW, listen closely to him talk and his lack of awareness, which has nothing to do with the S-2. This guy is the opposite of smart I will let you call it what you want, I call it being rather dumb.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe verbalizing isn't his strength and he will need help in the huddles at times. That doesn't mean he can't make great decisions with a football.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. raining threes

Seriously doubt a guy like that can win a championship.

4. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

you’re dissecting how a 21 year old speaks? Lmao.

by the way, have you ever heard how Terry Bradshaw or Brett Favre speaks?

go take a lap

primtim24, Qan, red5rocket and 3 others like this.
  5. raining threes

Bradshaw has done pretty well on TV for the last 30 years.

Yes, I know dumb when I hear it.

6. cbass

cbass Member

What on earth are you talking about?

“Listen to him closely”? Every time I have heard him speak since we drafted him, I’ve come away more impressed.

Our GM, Head Coach, and players have all raved about CJ after interacting with him, but you know better because of how he speaks?

What a load of nonsense.

It seems to me that you’re trying to denigrate a 21-yr-old kid, who you have never met, based on the flimsiest of pretexts, because you didn’t want us to draft him.

It’s unbecoming.

Maybe let it play out before repeatedly personally insulting someone who you have never met.

crose, zeeshan2, Qan and 5 others like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

The hate for CJ is comical at this point. I guess next they will talk about his hair or his socks smh

Qan, cbass, red5rocket and 1 other person like this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Some people just love to hate

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As someone who initially had pegged him as not a great interviewer, my opinion has changed. His tone and cadence does not mean he's dumb. It's just the way he is. California kid.

His interview answers from yesterday were actually thoughtful, not generic vanilla crap, and came across as if he's a poised leader.

I'm actually far more impressed with how Stroud has handled himself since the draft than I ever thought I would be. And that was one of my main knocks on him.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Usually when a QB gets this much hate being picked so high with a lot of expectations... it ends up being good. When a QB is hyped around here and loved prematurely they end up being Zach Wilson.

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  11. Qan

Qan Member

The hate on Stroud from some posters is getting ridiculous. There was a reason the Texans selected Stroud with a top 3 pick and the Texans for damn sure view him as a franchise QB and will give him every opportunity to be successful. If you're a real Texans fan and want them to be successful, you better hope Stroud does develop into a good QB.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Listen, if I were hiring for a business, Stroud wouldn't come across as impressive in interviews. I wouldn't hire him for any "thinking job". With that said, can he lead other football players, prepare for games and study with discipline, and take direction from the coaches? We'll see. That's the test.

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There are a few praying he sucks so they can I-Told-You-So us to death because they rather be right

14. cbass

cbass Member

Indeed.

A sad way to live.

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s also a sad way to live hoping for something that isn’t likely.

No one is hoping for Stroud to fail, or they shouldn’t if they’re a Texan fan. But it is ok to not live in a fairy tale land where he is some elite prospect with no flaws.
    You can hate the S2 all you want, but in its 8 years it’s been pretty indicative of success.

I actually like his interviews as far as his tone and desire to win. But that doesn’t matter if it doesn’t translate to success.

Bottom line is there are some issues that he has to either address or overcome to be a successful QB.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And some of you dudes have to be waiting for him to drop you some crumbs or something, defending this dude at all cost. When no one is really saying anything untrue about him

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Guess that means Levis is going to be a stud

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You are definitely hoping Stroud fails. You are the preacher in that congregation. You, @raining threes and @Housport have spoke negative about him and that's documented. All you say is he can't do this...he won't do that... He's dumb! oH bUt I hOpE hE's sUcCeEd bEcAuSe He'S a TeXaN.

Does he have issues to address? Absolutely! Like every player entering professional sports, he'll have to address them to be successful at the next level. I don't know if he's going to be elite but I do see a really good QB. How he develops will depend on if he's going to be elite or not. Everyone complaining about a S2 score that we never heard of until 3 months ago is insane. Next year, it'll be the same **** with Caleb Williams. Just more **** to b**** about.

Still look forward to your post because I think it's cool to have some people that don't agree. If everyone agreed then this board would suck so don't take it personal.....or do, whatever.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You mean the same u defend Gutter Mills and Will Levis???

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Of course you wouldn’t but we won’t go there

houstonstime likes this.