1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im completely relaxed! I just chuckle when I see guys go the hyperbolic route of saying things like his longest TD traveled 3 yards. I dont really care about rankings or grades as a definitive measure anyway its just a tool among many to isolate a players strengths and weaknesses. Have a nice day!

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

... do you know what "hyperbolic" means? On the Jordan TD - his longest - his throw *literally* traveled four yards across the line of scrimmage. The screen pass to Nico is *literally* at the LOS when he catches it.

I'm not sure why you think trying to guess why a PFF grade might be lower is somehow an indictment of CJ Stroud - but, to be clear; this is not an indictment of CJ Stroud. So, yeah - relax. I'm offering guesses not evaluations.

Blatz likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

JJ's tweet went viral and these guys are explaining themselves.

Want to be clear. They were both down on Stroud before the season started.

They both came around late, but there REALLY GOOD FRIEND is also about to enter the coaching sweepstakes for a job.

Keep that in mind.

4. Hey Now!

For fun! The rationale would be: your choice of a top-flight, generational QB prospect, who would extend your cap space by an extra year. That's *extremely* valuable. And then a top 9 pick on top of that. Again, because age and salary are such a factor, that's at least interesting. But Chicago doesn't have a 2nd round pick so, yeah - it starts to fall apart there.

Again, I would *not* make that trade. I'm just saying: that's about the only kind of trade that would be viable when you factor in CJ's age and salary. If CJ's *really* this good, you have a five-year window to win and a 10-year window of elite-ish QB play. That is the most valuable asset in the NFL right now.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I thought you were pretty clear you were talking about the method of their grading and not offering a commentary on CJ's play.

Saeculum, houstonstime and Hey Now! like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

8. Hey Now!

So... pretty interesting discussion. YAC was indeed a big factor; per the PFF guys - and I think this is a fair point: imagine Jordan's TD isn't a TD but instead just a 12-yard gain (which, per their methodology, was the expected outcome): Stroud's numbers would've been 16/21 for ~210 yards and 2 TDs. They also cite - which I don't remember - a dropped INT in which CJ threw into double-coverage. So again, per the PFF guys: if the Browns covert that INT: 16/21 for ~210 yards and 2 TDs, 1 INT. I'm not sure how - or if - they factor in the Schultz drop? But, yeah: that's why the grade was lower.

Makes sense to me. As poised as CJ was, as efficient as he was, after watching both games, Love's performance certainly seemed like the degree of difficulty was higher. In a way, it's more of an indictment of the defenses. The Browns were just terrible Saturday.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Right? There's literally nothing wrong with correctly pointing out that Brevin Jordan ran 72 of the 76 yards on a play that was clearly designed to get 8-12 yards. Nothing wrong with correctly pointing out that Martin Emerson's "tackling" and effort were comically bad. Nothing wrong with correctly giving Jordan credit for outrunning Okoronkwo. Nothing wrong with correctly pointing out that somehow (perhaps due to play design), no other Brown got within 10 yards of a TE who, again, caught the pass within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

Finally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with correctly pointing out that CJ Stroud had *nothing* to do with any of the above (other than the easy throw), and that that TD was ALL Brevin Jordan.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I’m not saying you are advocating for it, quite the opposite as you have stated, but it’s hilarious to me that last year ppl wanted to wait on a QB for one of the better prospects. Now that we have a generational QB it’s what would we trade him for draft pick-wise.. haha. Trading with Chicago, even for their other picks, means you are hoping any of the QB prospects = CJ at a minimum. I’ll never understand the thought process of letting the bird in hand go for two in the bush.

Now one thing I did discuss with you was the Will Anderson trade. Because you wanted the picks of WAJ. But you were also critical of Caserio so I was confused why you would rather have caserio up to bat rather than just taking WAJ on second base. But with Anderson’s rookie performance and the draft picks now more finalized, I think we are showing again go with the bird in hand.

11. Hey Now!

It's just a fun, time-wasting exercise. I wouldn't trade CJ Stroud. I'm just trying to make the point of why, beyond his performance: age & salary. When you factor that in, he becomes the most valuable asset in the NFL.

So the only way to possibly recoup that value is a really good QB on their rookie deal. Or a full-blown rookie.

#4131 Hey Now!, Jan 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    houstonstime likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Those PFF guys are jumping ahead ahead and countering the critics. Saw that they did the same for Myles Garret when Steeler fans complained about TJ Watt grades. Guess they don’t wanna end up like the S2 guys.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its all arbitrary BS anyway. Nerds who "grade" each play on proprietary metrics and then demean those who dont understand while they keep the methodology secret.

PFF is but one of many tools to use in evaluating players. Taking a 70+ TD down a notch because it "should have only been a 12 yard gain" is stupid as hell.

houstonstime likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Isn't that how you grow strongass weed in your closet?

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It’s how you grow strawberries in the desert.

18. raining threes

Exactly, the Nerds eat this crap up.

Qan likes this.
  19. raining threes

Exactly

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

"He has that 3rd dimension."
    always thought Doctor Strange was Stroud's best 'comp'. Just creating dimensions for receivers.

Hippieloser and clos4life like this.