1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. cbass

cbass Member

Lmao

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Wait a second, what do you disagree with? I thought it was all sound logic. I personally have not seen the x ray either!

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I saw a few commentators and analysts mention how CJ throws balls low on passes in the middle of the field to protect his receivers. I’m guessing he’s picked Brady’s head a ton and gotten these type of pointers. Cuz no joke ive seen some freaking bad hospital balls this year. Like the one that media darling ’Passtronaut’ Josh Dobbs threw to Justin Jefferson that literally sent him to the hospital. Anyway, I’m sure free agent receivers and TE will take notice of this when deciding on FA a destination.

4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

You're my new favorite poster.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hes been doing it from the beginning of the season and way before he picked Toms brain in that interview on the podcast. Im not saying he hasnt met or asked a few mild questions here and there with Tom before, but I doubt they were hard hitting questions like on-field tactics and such, as in a sit down like that podcast. CJ is just miles ahead of so many young players- before him and after.

raining threes likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I have a hunch that CJ has Tom’a ear they communicate often behind the scenes when it comes to getting mentored….

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Oh, Im sure he does. Hes probably got his direct line. Now. Not as some unproven rookie entering the league.

Like I said, hes been doing it since the beginning of the season, just go back and watch the games. I highly doubt CJ was bending his ear as some noob in the league and Tom was just gracefully giving his deep mentorship at that point.

9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I actually enjoyed reading this lol. OP might be on to something. Conspiracy theories are not to be taken lightly…

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Wish he didn’t keep bringing up winston who was awful, but agreed it’s entertaining reading. He plays the roll well

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I went back to check the stats and Winston actually wasn't terrible. He was decent by today's standards and threw for over 5k yards at age 25 before being benched the last four seasons. I feel like he could be starting for several teams right now

12. StroudAndYorDaddy

https://deadspin.com/you-know-who-jameis-winston-looks-like-after-five-seaso-1842526841

Jameis Winston was on a historic pace when it came to passing yards per game. By age 26 Jameis averaged 275 passing yards per game for his career which was top 5 all time highest in nfl history.

Jameis Winston at the age of 26 was a free agent coming off of a 5100 yard season with 35 total tds. And the bucs that year had the 2nd best scoring offense in the nfl. And winston essentially got a contract for 1 yr and 1 million doll from the saints as the bucs pursued or I alledged were urged by the nfl to pursue Tom Brady with the promise of the bucs getting a Super Bowl in exchange for not resigning Winston

the nfl basically quietly blackballed him and if you think the nfl couldn’t do that. Look at how bad Lamar Jacksons potential free-agency just went with no teams making Lamar an offer. This is how the nfl gets down. The nfl can’t pull the same tactic they did with warren moon back in the day and basically exile him and act like he don’t exist especially in the age of social media. People will start asking questions, but they have learned other ways around it

the nfl is a very powerful syndicate and they usually like to control the narrative especially when it comes to quarterbacks and passing records. The nfl keeps an eye on that stuff, tank dell could very well be injured by I just find it highly convenient that it happened the way it did and no x-rays no nothing. The nfl thought removing tank dell would limit cj but then nick collins had a game with 191 yards recieving. So then nico goes out the next game smh. I’ve seen this story before. Sadly the nfl is probably gonna try and #metoo demeco or cj. All it takes is a paid off allegation. One allegation will turn into 20 allegations and just like that your career is over before it started

13. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I hope the football gods are somewhat in our favor in the extremely near future and we see a Super Bowl with CJ ft. Tank, Nico, Demeco and Company.

14. StroudAndYorDaddy

I hope so too man. Cj is a good soul and appears to be a great teammate. Texans are building something nice, and I want to see cj, tank and demeco win a Super Bowl here in houston

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Passing yards is just not a meaningful stat when it comes to qb play. Does anyone think sam howell isn’t garbage just because he throws for a ton of yards? Winston had 30 freaking interceptions the year he had 5k yards.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Winston threw 30 INTs and had 12 fumbles that year, LOL.

17. Scarface281

Are you comparing Howell to Winston? No passing yards isn't everything but why are you acting like it is nothing?? Generally bad QBs don't put up many yards, nor do they have the YPA he did at that age. He came into the league at 21 putting up big numbers. A bad turnover year is just that, Bucs still scored a bunch.

Luck also threw a lot of INTs. And to be honest, Winston's stats are just as good as Luck's were for the first 4 years of their careers, yet Luck is seen as a "what could have been if he didn't retire" but Winston is seen as a bust. Crazy

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Luck played on a garbage team, winston had elite talent that won the superbowl the moment he left. Why do you think nobody is giving him a starting job? Because he’s black?

19. Scarface281

Nah I think adding the best QB of all time, along with signing AB and Arians as coach, is what helped the Bucs win the super bowl. They went to **** immediately when Tom left.

astrosrule likes this.
  20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Saw KPRCs Aaron Wilson on Jake Asmans channel yesterday and he had some interesting things to say.
    -Knew Casey Keenum was starting like before it was made public.
    -CJ concussion is a lot more serious and won’t likely play for the Browns game. Very questionable. Like he has a bunch of stuff to clear ie fully padded practice and such. Even then it’s up to the med staff to make the call.
    -Nico is trending toward being able to play Sunday. Will and Blake not likely to play.

something interesting he said was that Demeco has a full on balls to wall practice on Fridays, where as most teams just have a walk through. Lots of injuries have occurred during these practices but players bounce back. Holds players accountable and they absolutely love him.