1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol you really needed to say that. Good for you dude.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Holy shhhh you are obsessed.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Obviously not. You have CJ Stroud and Will Anderson thanking God over and over in press conferences while Cal, Demeco and Nick have proclaimed how this organization is a God Fearing one but this guy wants to tell me (over a message board) somebody he doesn't know of at all to leave the God stuff out of it. But whatever...

Little Bit likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Me? Lol
    You’re the one that can’t speak because your mouth is too full.

I said nothing but facts there and that upsets you?

5. tmacfor35

I’m just happy you are coming around is all.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I told you once he’s a Texans I’m going to support him.
    I want the kid to be successful.

7. tmacfor35

One of the weirder things I have read on here.

I actually just assumed it was sarcasm at first... Now I am like whaaaaaat???

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Honestly bro, what’s your biggest concern with Stroud. Because I don’t get your negativity. You’re always opinionated but this ain’t you. What’s up? For real.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly?
    His representatives. I don’t want any part of Avery or Mulugheta or any of that culture that surrounds them.

Ohio St QBs scare me in general.
    And the fact that he is more of a throwback style QB.

He has a ton of positives, size, arm and accuracy, seems hungry and willing to work.
    I do hope he’s successful, he’s a Texan now and that’s all that matters.
    I’m on board with him fully

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Buck doesn’t like religion on the forums, he’s pretty consistent about that.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

If this is the case why do you also say things like you hope he fails and that he wont be any kid? since he was picked youve done nothing but trash CJ but you'll throw in a couple times that "you support Texans" lol

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve never said I hope he fails, not since being drafted.
    I’ve said I don’t like the pick on Thursday. I honestly haven’t trashed him since being drafted, some people don’t like pointing out factual flaws.
    Either way, don’t put words in my mouth

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I get it. But remember he has to perform now. Teams are able move on quickly nowadays if he can’t play. The agents only matter if the kid CAN PLAY, because if he can’t his ass is gone anyways. Even then At that point most of these agents are the same. They want the highest dollar for the client because it effects their pockets. Good organizations are always looking at QBs late in drafts every year just in case, if they don’t have a superstar at the position. Mills had his shot & now Stroud will get his. If it doesn’t work somebody else will get theirs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I get it. But remember he has to perform now. Teams are able move on quickly nowadays if he can’t play. The agents only matter if the kid CAN PLAY, because if he can’t his ass is gone anyways. Even then At that point most of these agents are the same. They want the highest dollar for the client because it effects their pockets. Good organizations are always looking at QBs late in drafts every year just in case, if they don’t have a superstar at the position. Mills had his shot & now Stroud will get his. If it doesn’t work somebody else will get theirs.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see that, but I think it's probably likely the criticisms of his intelligence and processing speed are valid, which is why I won't be shocked if he turns out to be nothing special.

That said, I'm not looking for this guy to be writing dissertations.

He seems to have good instincts when it comes to football and IMO that can matter a lot more than how well he does on tests or how quick his processor is. The smartest QB in the world with the absolute quickest mental processing speed would be worthless without the physical attributes and instincts necessary.

As to the "he wasn't trying" theory, IMO that's a bigger red flag than him just being kind of dumb. We don't always know what will ultimately be important and what won't. If our effort is tied to what we feel like matters, then it's very likely we'll slack off on something we didn't realize was important and that can be costly.

I'd rather a guy be ultra competitive and put forth effort because they want to be the best at everything even if they think it's a mundane task than someone with inconsistent effort.

Anyway, that's why I don't really have strong feelings about this guy one way or the other. I feel like I could make the case that he'll be a bust just as easily as I could make the case that he'll be amazing. Both arguments would be compelling....and either could be ultimately wrong.

That's why I kind of just want to sit back and see what happens.

16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Damn Bobby came with the most reasonable take I’ve seen on here in awhile. Did someone steal your account?

17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Haha what did he say?

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  18. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Sit back and see what happens. None of us know if Stroud will be a bust or not so all we can do is wait and watch.

Buck Turgidson and Sooty like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm often unreasonably reasonable.

red5rocket and Omihall23 like this.