1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It’s funny that in one breath he says “Houston’s food is hyped up” but then follows it with “like in LA we got great food” ok bro.. and yea, maybe spend more than 6 months here trying tik tok spots and actually ask some Houston locals.

I also want to know what the “bad” spots were and if it’s a bad recommendation thing or a bad taste from CJ thing.

cmoak1982 and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

The food is definitely a bit overhyped in Houston. It's not a bad food scene, probably above average, but it's not LA/Chicago/New York caliber either so I can see where he's coming from.

Whole damn city has the biggest chip on its shoulder and is desperate to actually be really good at something besides producing oil. That martyr complex kind of attitude is one of the things I'm most glad to be away from after spending the first 30+ years of my life there.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’m from h town but have been living in nyc for 30 years. The food in houston is underrated, if anything. The food here is only so so unless you wanna get spendy.

red5rocket and DreamShook like this.
  4. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

As long as CJ is winning games he can like men and fried buttholes for all I care. But if he ever starts slippin he will get an ear full.

#3324 J_Hunter_1977, Nov 25, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the food is not over hyped because people still dont think of Houston as a food city. People will say "Dont sleep on the Houston food scene" then people want to say we over hyping it, lol

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

exactly.. We just bring light to what Houston has to offer because the country sh*ts on our existence. People still think Houston is some country town because it's in texas despite it being (one of) the most diverse cities in the nation. The food is good here because there are so many different types of food.

red5rocket and thegary like this.
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’ll break it down like this; Houston, and Texas generally, has great food and great music. In essence, it has soul. However, everything else about Texas sucks.

BMoney and DreamShook like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ah, so Houston has a martyr complex but the “it’s more expensive so it must be better” complex at the rest of those cities isn’t real? Houston has diverse food, that doesn’t always mean better. But having a pizza that is basically a bowl of pasta sauce doesn’t mean Chicago is better food scene… I feel like there is a reason everyone is moving to Texas, not away. I think everyone over-hypes their city. But hating on Houston in favor of one of the other big 3 because they are bigger and more expensive is just a choice I guess. Enjoy wherever you are tho!

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Hate to break it to you, but the population in the City of Houston has been declining since 2019.

11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I doubt metro Houston has declined. During the pandemic there was a surge of people that moved from Houston to the surrounding suburbs for larger homes. I was one of them, needing home office space.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Greater Houston is still growing, but growth has slowed by a significant amount, and it seems to keep slowing year over year. From about 1990-2019 the annual growth rate was nearly 3%, and it's dropped to about 1.5%. That's still a decent number, but it does show that Houston is not the boomtown it once was. I expect this trend to continue for various geographic and economic reasons, and I also expect to see Rust Belt cities rebound.

Personally, I'd get out while the getting is good, which is why I did so. I don't know exactly what the timeline is going to look like, could be 10 years, could be 30, but I feel fairly confident that Houston, and the Gulf Coast as a whole, is heading the way of Detroit within my lifetime.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are pulling **** out of your ass. Houston is projected to pass Chicago as #3 in population in about a decade.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/houston-population-five-years/

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  15. raining threes

Food is really good in Houston, it's on par with New York/LA maybe even better.

BTW, I'm fine being the best at producing oil. (It's what makes the world go around) Of course I dont give a crap about what others think and dont understand posters who care about this kinda crap.

houstonstime and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  16. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Here is a good question. Do y'all think CJ would bolt after his rookie contract to go back to his precious Cali?

17. conquistador#11

What stood out to me was the chest bump from Money Mills followed by our TE getting the crowd to chant "MVP!" louder.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ive been to NY and Chi, Houston food is better. The only thing NY has over Houston is street hotdogs and pizza. Lol

They love sauce on their steaks, their Italian food is over rated, their Asian food is avg.

I love Chicago pizza too. They have good steaks too. Houston has better Italian, Asian, Soul Food and Barbecue.

I think everbody is bias towards their hometown. I have people whontell me that Atlanta has better eateries than Houston, yes Atl.

houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt it. We have to give him time to learn H-Town. He's only been here 6 mos.

I wouldn't look at it as he doesn't like Houston, just that loves his home town surroundings more. Also, more so than anything I appreciate his honesty!

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Chicago is a city where the food is overhyped unless you are big on fine dining. Houston does the ethnic/international flavor better than Chicago (outside of maybe some eastern Euro joints).

A_3PO and cmoak1982 like this.