1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-4] Amen Thompson, G, Overtime Elite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Amen Thompson?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2023.
  1. YES

81.9%
  2. NO

18.1%
  1. cml750

cml750 Member

And that poster you quoted is the most negative poster on this forum. He probably b****ed when we drafted Dream.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really, but whatever. There's 20 years of data for you to work with I guess. This is a historically bad era of Rockets basketball by any reasonable measure.

Don't worry, I'm going to uncork a long post about how Terminal Process Brain Take ologies are actually ruining the game for optimists like me.

You will enjoy it.

cml750 likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

For sure but I don't know anyone who signs players for the sole purpose of shooting anymore. You need a PG and C - you make sure they're good shooters.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think we just see things differently. Drafting well is based on what we know and our options at the time of drafting.

Christopher and Tyty still could be NBA players. That's 9 players in 3 seasons. To even say all 9 of them may remain in the NBA is a gigantic feat.

I also have a higher opinion of our young guys than you do if you think Sengun and Tari are the only ones who don't have bust potential, wow. I think you just really don't like our players.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

GS did that with their 1st round pick and usually is the most relevant aspect of players they bring in. I think if you have the self awareness to know that you were quite literally the worst shooting team in the NBA that it should be a higher priority than other teams.

Yung-T and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You really are super pessimistic about this team, if Mathloom is a homer you are the exact opposite.

Rockets are on year 3 of their rebuild and you're acting like we've sucked for a decade when its really been 3 seasons, 3 seasons of a rebuild people asked for.

You've also written off every young player we've drafted since the rebuild, none of them have even 3 years of experience but have it from you its hopeless to even have these guys on the team at this point, trade them all for Jalen Williams.

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

there is more than one way to skin a cat. Cam can shoot by the way. We need to sign a couple of sharp shooting vets. Also, I have not given up on green as a shooter and KPJ is already a good shooter.

Verbal Christ and Mathloom like this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I get what you're saying, but that's still not a reason to bring in someone who can do nothing but shoot. You'll just improve your shooting and hurt some other aspect of the team because the shooter will be replacing someone who did something else (like play defense, which is more impactful than shooting).

#308 Mathloom, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    Y2JT likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is one of those posts that could haunt you for years if Amen Thompson lives up to his potential.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

I certainly hope he does. I said that partly because I wanted Whitmore and was pissed they passed up on him. When we ended up getting him at 20 I was fine with the Amen pick. Dude's shot is as broken as the Titanic but it's too late now to go back.

As usual it's the 2nd pick Stone makes that ends up being the steal of the draft.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

3 years in a row that Stone has arguably made the steal of the draft with his second pick. **** is wild.

xaos, Mathloom and Rokman like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

J Sizzle likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Spot on. Warriors were second in 3-pt shooting during the season
    but 10th in the playoffs (out of 16).

They traded away the althelete for spacing.....which Poole failed them at.

Raptors also went with shooting in Grady Dick

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well would you look at that @YOLO

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Shooting NEVER goes out of style in this sport. Splitting atoms over pure passers for THIS team is putting the cart before the horse.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Unless you look for shooters who can defend. They're out there.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

You can tell he spends a lot of time thinking about the game. So many stories about how the twins spend a ton of time watching game tape, and it shows in the way they play IMO.

xaos, Y2JT and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Is the one in yellow moved by the word, or moved by the letters (KFC) ? :D

OremLK likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

GSW is a contending team already built. The Rockets are a rebuilding team.

So the Rockets took the player with the highest ceiling left on the board and then got to 20 and...took the player with the highest ceiling left on the board.

When the Rockets get a couple of established perennial all-stars then they can start looking for players to fill niches and roles but right now they are clearly looking for star players and hoping that one of their guys develops into that.