1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Start off the show discussing Cams drop in the draft and how good he looked in the summer league.

The Hunted likes this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I like the confidence coming in but unfortunately it seems like he's the third string at SF initially. Hopefully he isn't too worried about ROY stuff and just grinds hard.

Arnel likes this.
  3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If he does win ROY, we're in a great spot and have some good trade pieces.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

You clearly have never picked up a ball, you can't rebuttal Harden resume in total which is why you nitpick his playoff only resume/moments

Harden is in the tier of those more so than McCollum/Simmons tier, which that trade package you hyped up and crowned to be is comical

I was never disputing the 5 second round exits, I was explaining how you go with a superior player in trade package and how they all have had shortcomings in playoffs from Curry to KD to Bron to Kareem to Dream etc

You clearly have me confused with others on this fanboy status, telling you what happen is more so being a student/seer of the game, which is why you acknowledge his so called great regular seasons, plus his playoff career avgs are at least good, the end result of a title not so much

Once again, I speak about what actually happen, which is easy to do if you watch the games, playing also helps because actual experience of something puts you closer to those moments so you can have a better overstanding of them

Which clearly you have no experience and are just a anti-Harden repeat offender, good for Asia minor

5. Ancient Moabite

Nice(foolish) rebuttal Asian ''un-sensational'' minor

6. Asian Sensation

k

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah and Amen is a pg ok? What does Amen with freaky measurables as a pg have to do with Cam having short arms and small hands for a forward?

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

Nook, Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The average measurement of small forward players in the previous seasons has fluctuated between 6'7" and 6'6" since 2000. The small forward players were measured about 6'6.3" tall in 2019/20, which increased in 2020/21 to 6'6.7". Although it decreased by a few points in 2021/22,

• Christian Koloko = 7'5.25"
    • Kofi Cockburn = 7'4.25"
    • Walker Kessler = 7'4.25"
    • Orlando Robinson = 7'4.00"
    • Jalen Williams = 7'2.25"
    • MarJon Beauchamp = 7'0.75"
    • Dalen Terry = 7'0.75"
    • Wendell Moore = 7'0.50"
    • Shaedon Sharpe = 6'11.50"
    • Dominick Barlow = 7'3.00"
    • Justin Lewis = 7'2.50"
    • John Butler Jr = 7'2.25"
    • Tari Eason = 7'2.00"
    • Leonard Miller = 7'2.00"
    Cam has a wingspan of 6'8.5", and quite small hands. Although he can jump higher and is more athletic than most so that should nullify that some until he is in his early 30's. Perhaps he grows a bit more as well like Sengun and Green supposedly have.

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

only way he win ROY if he's a starter, or get 30+ min a game. And that's a slim chance unless someone gonna get injured extensively.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He really does not interview well at all, he rarely ever answers a question as intended. When he was drafted and they had media day, he just said random things without really actually answering the question asked. Here he is asked two questions, neither of which he actually answered. First ROY and who his biggest competition would be for the award, he said the All-Stars in the league? That was not the question that was asked, since current all-stars would not be competing for ROY. The second question was what specific skill set he has that would make him the ROY, he said I just have the biggest skillset and am the most different player. Again, a very simple question and opportunity for him to go into specifics about what his skillset is, and he is unable to sell himself.

I think this is what really killed his draft stock in addition to the medical flags, I would not be comfortable taking him where he was projected if he had extended interviews like this, which was one of the knocks. A lot of the initial impression is selling yourself, he is horrible at this. I think he can still be a very good player, so far he has displayed above projected on court IQ (backed by actual numbers in a recent article), but it makes some sense why people were given a bad first impression of him. Whoever his agent is needs to coach him better on this. There are only a limited number of questions they can ask, so its good to just have some answers ready.

#991 BallSoHarden, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  12. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

That was your comparison, not mine. Ok?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF you're the one who compared him to Amen not me. OK???

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is still at a disadvantage though. The average height of 6'6.5 means he is already a bit undersized at 6'5.75. Wingspan of 6'8.5 vs wingspan of 7'2 based on your sample size.

Yeah Cam is indeed athletic, but if that athlecism is just to offset his disadvantage that'll just make him average. That's why I said put him at SG where he is already average so his athleticism makes him better than average. If he grows taller then that's even better it will allow him to dominate at the position even more.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Timein and Arnel like this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

ROYs are usually the top picks that have been given the green light from day one. The only ROY in the past few decades that wasn't a lottery pick was Malcolm Brogdon. It'll be hard enough for Amen to contend for ROY. Cam might not even be in the rotation.

mac_got_this likes this.
  17. Asian Sensation

Disadvantage for what? Measurables only take you so far. How many guys with elite wingspans, verticals, and hand size have flaked out of this league? If you can ball you can ball. Simple as that.

What you think may be a disadvantage in terms of height and wingspan he more than makes up not just in athleticism like you said but his overall mass size/strength and knowing how to use his body. The kid is what 230-235? lbs and strong as an ox. He’s the prototypical 3 and a 4 depending on matchups and he’ll bully most his opponents. He’s very similar to Miles Bridges in terms of size, athleticism, measurables and style of play. Bridges played the SF/PF spot and put up 20 and 7 with nearly 4 assists per game during his last season and was well on his way to being a star in the league before his incident.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Whatever. He can keep talking himself into lower contracts and destroying it on the court. Works for me.

Arnel, BallSoHarden and Deckard like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Disadvantage doesn't mean you can't make up for it, like the word says it hinders him from being successful.

His size and athleticism doesn't go away if you put him at SG, rather it magnifies them cuz he goes from battling guys taller than him to guys shorter than him. This isn't rocket science. I mean why are people excited about Amen? It's cuz he's an athletic 6'7 pg who beats on 6 footers right (cue the Amen/Scoot photo) ? So why can't Cam be our Amen at the SG spot? It also saves him from injury cuz he goes from banging bodies with dudes like Kawhi, KD and Lebron to smaller guys like Booker, Harden and SGA. More importantly, can you imagine the defense with Amen, Cam, Tari and Bari on the court together? And then you have Sengun at C who is just a scoring machine and tbh I think that's a championship 5 in the future.

Makes zero sense to me why there's so much resistance to this idea.

#999 roslolian, Jul 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  20. Asian Sensation

Because there’s a tradeoff like everything else. The drop off in speed, quickness, agility, lateral movement etc is not worth it. I’ll take my chances of him bullying majority of the 3’s and holding his own against most of the opposing 4’s as opposed to trying to stay in front of the Jalen Green, Tyrese Maxey, Jaden Ivey, SGA and Ausar’s of the league.

Drift Monkey likes this.